Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Hi from Columbia MO!

Registered
    Oct 2012

Hi from Columbia MO!

I'm counting my blessings today here in Columbia MO, after watching the morning news of the devastation of Storm Sandy. No matter how awesome the designs and structures, God and Mother Nature can still prove to us we can do better! Back to what I'm in here for: I'm Patty Furkin, originally from Granite City IL. My family moved to Fulton MO in 1970, and this area is where I ended up staying, due to jobs I couldn't resist. I was a subcontracts administrator for Daniel International Corporation (Fluor) during construction of the Callaway Nuclear Power Plant, and I ended up working there as an equipment operator. Talk about watching an area change! It's interesting to watch how large companies can pump money into an area, make it come to life, and then once the dust settles from the construction, the area does too. In some areas, the people succeed; in some areas, they end up failing. Callaway County is still doing fairly well. I moved to Columbia after retirement/disability to be closer to the University and my docs, and I love the city and the things it has to offer. I'm not active in building or planning anymore, but my interest is still there.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Welcome from SW Michigan
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    How-do from the Queen City of the Rockies, under the Big Sky, in the Last Best Place.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio! Glad to have you.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from upstate New York!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Welcome from 8 hours west. I interviewed with Columbia once, and loved the place (except for the concrete canopies downtown). Unfortunately a tall fellow with hair was also a candidate.

Registered
    Oct 2012
    Patty, I'm in Kirksville, MO. We moved here a couple years ago from CoMo. Seems like all the bike/ped infrastructure improvements happened right at the end of the GetAbout grant, and right after we left, but some of the bike/ped programming ended then as well, so I got the best of it. Lessons I learned in CoMo are inspiring me in Kirksville.

Mike Gurnee, my mom just inherited land out by Greensburg. Amazing tornado recovery. She calls herself a "gentleman farmer" and is a reluctant one at that, but her dad entailed the land so she can't sell it to the tenants (who are distant relatives).

My interest in planning stems from bicycling for transportation, something that happened when we became a one-car family 8 years ago. What seemed like a hardship opened up new worlds-- policy, advocacy, planning & design, things I never dreamed I'd one day call "fascinating". My daughter is a senior in high school and she's considering a career in civil engineering, another result of my interest in the field.

Alas, I didn't get interested in all this until I was well on my way in a career in biomed research. It is interesting in its own way but I may yet switch careers one day.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome form the western lakes region of Maine!

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Columbia MUP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Apr 2009, 3:08 PM
  2. Columbia / USC
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Apr 2008, 3:05 PM
  3. Columbia
    Student Commons