Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MPOs and economic development

Registered
    Oct 2012

MPOs and economic development

MPOs focus largely on transportation planning, but I'm wondering if there are any examples of MPOs that also have significant Economic Development responsibilities. Can anyone point to examples of MPOs that lead regional economic development strategies and initiatives?

Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Honestly, I work all over the country and off the top of my head can't think of one where it plays a significant role.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Ours has a role to play in the Regional Community Economic Strategy.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I can't think of any examples, either. Most of those roles seem to be played by regional CoG's, EDC's, or state organizations like a Commerce Authority.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Apr 2006
    MAG (Maricopa Assocation of Governments) in Arizona works closely with GPEC (Greater Phoenix Economic Council) to provide them data and they have partnered on some informational items and strategic planning efforts. I am not sure if this is what you meant by significant responsibilities.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Oct 2012
    Thanks all. I'm trying to find examples of MPOs that function as the primary economic development agency (or vice versa) for their region. SEMCOG in Michigan is the closest I could think of, but I'm not sure that they are the primary economic development agency.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    SEMCOG's make-up could take it in that direction more than other agencies. It is not just an MPO, but also a Council of Governments. In addition it also has a group comprised of business and union leaders known as the Metropolitan Affairs Coalition that shares its staff and resources.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I am not an expert but I think an MPO would not be able to function due to restricts placed on these organizatios by the Feds. However I think a COG could do so and in most cases a MPO is also a COG.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011

New Orleans

The New Orleans MPO functions as the regional economic development agency. The name of the MPO is the Regional Planning Commission and their site is www.norpc.org. The econ development staff is quite friendly if you want to contact them.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Our MPO has a regional plan does address economic development: http://www.cdtcmpo.org/rtp2035/summary.pdf

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2013, 11:50 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 9:47 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2009, 1:19 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 22 Aug 2003, 10:40 AM
  5. Economic Development, Same Old, Same Old
    Economic and Community Development