Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Time limit to file an appeal?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Time limit to file an appeal?

Do you have a time limit from the date a decision is issued for an aggrieved party to file for an appeal to your Zoning Board of Appeals? We have a case where a person is looking to file an appeal on a permit issued 2 years ago on the neighbors property. I can’t find anything in our ZO regarding a time limit.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Do you have a time limit from the date a decision is issued for an aggrieved party to file for an appeal to your Zoning Board of Appeals? We have a case where a person is looking to file an appeal on a permit issued 2 years ago on the neighbors property. I can’t find anything in our ZO regarding a time limit.
    Yup. 14 calendar days. If you can't find it in the ZO, check with an attorney. There typically is a statue of limitations, even at a state level that may be applied. Check with your zoning enabling laws.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    In our jurisdicition, an aggrieved party has 15 days from the day of the decision to file an appeal.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I just found it in this communities ZO, in a very confusing place. It says 21 days, but I need to confirm with the City Attorney that it covers the entire ZO and not just the this section of the ZO as the wording is general.

Our state law does provide a standard to go to the ZBA, but they do to appeal the ZBA decision to the Circuit Court and when that clock starts.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

In Indiana, an aggrieved party has 30 days from the date of decision.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2009
    10 day appeal period unless specified otherwise. I agree with what Raf said.. besides, it would be ridiculous to appeal a decision years after the fact.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    By Code, we have a 10 business day appeal period. If it's an administrative determination or planning commission decision, it goes to the Board. After that, the Courts.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Every place I have been we used 30 days. That time frame is found in statutes, at least implicitly. If the statutes are clear that you have 30 days to appeal a BZA decision to court, we always apply that to other situations. Attorneys agree. I have had discussions of just when the final decision is made. After the BZA vote? When a person gets written notice of the decision? Or after the minutes are approved? I usually go with the vote.However, if in court you need the minutes as part of the record. If one appeals a staff decision, say a building permit was approved and a neighbor disagrees, could the permit owner just wait for expiration of the appeal period before start of construction?

Or am I thinking too much?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Zoning Planning permit appeal
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Sep 2011, 8:37 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Mar 2010, 4:35 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Mar 2010, 2:27 PM
  4. Zoning appeal: standing?