Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Shooting range noise area

Registered
    Oct 2005

Shooting range noise area

Does anyone's county or city have a shooting range noise area? I have seen signs in SC, square green ones, that say "Shooting Range Noise Area" and I want to know if there is any science behind where those signs are posted or do we just send a deputy with good ears walking from the range until he can't hear it anymore? Do you have similar areas and if so what's the rationale behind the "area".
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Are there any military bases near by to these signs? I ask as I've seen similar on a state park and wildlife management area near Columbus, Georgia which is home to Fort Benning.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    No these are clearly for Shooting Ranges, Sheriff's or Recreational. I'm wondering if there is any science behind it. Before I make some calls I was wondering if anyone on the board had any local knowledge of these.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2005
    No local knowledge. Probably some noise contours just like airports, but who knows what the limits are. There must be a time element to average out the big variations I'd expect at most ranges. Noise, either real or imagined, is often a first pretense for trying to shut down ranges, so most range owners will not open up about it at first.

Unfortunately firearm silencers and suppressors are heavily regulated in the US under the National Firearms Act ($200 tax and ~6 month background check, and some places forbidden entirely), despite being essentially a simple section of pipe with threads and internal baffles. Extensive silencer use would go a long way to reducing most noise complaints. They also reduce the cumulative hearing loss that shooters often suffer from, even when using ear protection.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Does anyone's county or city have a shooting range noise area? I have seen signs in SC, square green ones, that say "Shooting Range Noise Area" and I want to know if there is any science behind where those signs are posted or do we just send a deputy with good ears walking from the range until he can't hear it anymore? Do you have similar areas and if so what's the rationale behind the "area".
    I do not have direct experience, but I would imagine that the area is defined from a environmental acoustics study for the site (similar to how you address noise for any "high volume" use). Since gunfire tends to have a relatively larger psychological impact, I would assume the signs are to help give some notice to those passing by if the noise couldn't be mitigated to near ambient levels outside of the range. I'll check on what our local range has, but the site location and age of the range probably means that we don't have a "noise area" identified (ie, I have not heard of one).
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Firearms can be suprisingly loud and the noise can carry a long way. There was once in 1775, I recall, a shot heard round the world. But most do not carry that far. I can't help much beyond what others have suggested, however, I will suggest that you look into state laws that apply. In Wisconsin the gun lobbies managed to get laws passed that offer some special protections to firing ranges. The same may be true in your state.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Tide, I am not sure about the civilian world, but the military world does have a bunch of science built around where the signs would be placed, as well as the land use compatibility for the surface danger zones.

Things to think about include baffling, landscaping, and berming may impact the noise levels but that isn't typically factored in for the noise. Weather can be a factor in the noise.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    The type of weapon and ordnance will impact the noise. You can use SARNM (acronym noise spelling) for this type of noise modeling.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi View post
    The type of weapon and ordnance will impact the noise. You can use SARNM (acronym noise spelling) for this type of noise modeling.
    Tried PMing you, your inbox is full.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2003
    It should be good now Tide.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. NIU Shooting Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 19 Mar 2010, 7:36 PM
  2. Replies: 8