Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: TS's family = targets of discrimination

Registered
    Nov 2009

TS's family = targets of discrimination

I am so angry right now that I am shaking.

My employer just informed me that they will be denying my application to add my son to my insurance because I cannot legally adopt him and I cannot legally marry my wife. Nevermind the fact that I am already granted legal guardianship by the state of OH.

This is going to bankrupt us.

We have no other alternatives.

MW is a disabled vet and the VA doesn't cover dependents.

This is why discrimination IS NOT OKAY

Moderator note:
    Maister: Split from RTDNTOTO7. This is a serious topic worthy of its own thread
    Last edited by Maister; 01 Nov 2012 at 4:35 PM.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    ...This is why discrimination IS NOT OKAY
    That just plain sucks. I don't blame you for being upset.

I wish I had some practical advice to offer.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    ts - there has got to be away around that. Talk to an attorney, but you should be able to legally adopt any child and then be permitted to put them on your insurance. Although I don't know the ramifications for MW and 'custody' issues.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    ts - there has got to be away around that. Talk to an attorney, but you should be able to legally adopt any child and then be permitted to put them on your insurance. Although I don't know the ramifications for MW and 'custody' issues.
    I cannot legally adopt my son in OH without MW giving up her parental rights. We already have an attorney. We just went through the process of filing for custodianship with the state for this very reason and I was granted the full parental rights that any other non-married parent would have. Apparently that isn't good enough for my employer. The language in our insurance program seems to be designed intentionally to discriminate against gay people.

So begins the saga of law suits.

Edit: To all those out there who think it is okay to put people like me in this position, guess what! We aren't going to stop being gay. We aren't going to stop having families. We aren't going to sit by and let you attempt to mold the world into your narrow view of how things "should be". This is the kind of thing that gives society our greatest leaders. This is how revolutions are born. So keep pushing your agenda, because you just give more solidarity to the human rights movement. Every attempt to make our lives harder just makes us fight harder and fuels the fire for us to push for more and more rights.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005

My employer just informed me that they will be denying my application to add my son to my insurance because I cannot legally adopt him and I cannot legally marry my wife. Nevermind the fact that I am already granted legal guardianship by the state of OH.

You have my permission to punch someone in the face.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005

The State of Ohio made a HUGE mistake in 2004.... I pray that it will be fixed in the coming years to bring equality.... that sucks bad TS...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

I second this motion.

Edit: To all those out there who think it is okay to put people like me in this position, guess what! We aren't going to stop being gay. We aren't going to stop having families. We aren't going to sit by and let you attempt to mold the world into your narrow view of how things "should be". This is the kind of thing that gives society our greatest leaders. This is how revolutions are born. So keep pushing your agenda, because you just give more solidarity to the human rights movement. Every attempt to make our lives harder just makes us fight harder and fuels the fire for us to push for more and more rights.
    This is so very well written, and I cannot think of any other person to put these thoughts into words so effectively. Fight on TS & MW...it will not be easy, but it's a fight worth having!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Yes, that is discrimination and I too think it is wrong. I pray that you find a good lawyer who will not just beat them, but crush the insurance company.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Yes, that is discrimination and I took think it is wrong. I pray that you find a good lawyer who will not just beat them, but crush the insurance company.
    agreed!
    Last edited by luckless pedestrian; 01 Nov 2012 at 3:38 PM.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    I second this motion.
    The motion has been made, been seconded, no other dicsussion ? non heard, so be it the motion carries.
    close enough to Robert's Rules I think.

TS - that just S^CKS !
    any experts on identifying politically narrow minded people out there - is it possible the state/insurance company/somebody to have their head up their a$$ at the same time as buried in the sand ?
    Last edited by JNA; 01 Nov 2012 at 4:01 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Yes, that is discrimination and I too think it is wrong. I pray that you find a good lawyer who will not just beat them, but crush the insurance company.
    Need a clarification here, I thought it was employer policy. Do we know what the insurance company's position is on this? Not that I mind insurance companies being crushed, but if it's the employer, TS has multiple problems.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Fight the power TS!

It seems ridiculous to have this hoop when a loving family is doing the right thing.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Need a clarification here, I thought it was employer policy. Do we know what the insurance company's position is on this? Not that I mind insurance companies being crushed, but if it's the employer, TS has multiple problems.
    It is a county-wide employee owned insurance program. The county wrote the guidelines and enforces them.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I am so sorry TS, that is so completely and totally wrong!!!!!

Some employers will “pay” you if you opt out of their health insurance completely. Is this an option? Then maybe find a policy for you and your son through a private insurer? But that may not be any cheaper in the end, just a thought.

Registered
    Dec 2008

Agreed. I've never supported the intolerance that goes on all around me, but it should have always been obvious to me that "not supporting" intolerance and stupidity is not enough. I'm sorry for your predicament TS. You tried to do what you considered the best thing for your growing family and are being punished for it. That is beyond wrong. I wish I had something to offer...
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    It is a county-wide employee owned insurance program. The county wrote the guidelines and enforces them.
    Does your county have a benefits committee? Our county has one, made up of members from the different departments. If such a committee exists, this is something that should be addressed by them, so they can make reccomendations to the governing body.

And, yes, what they are doing totally sucks and needs to be corrected. As the definition of "family" expands, so must the way the public and private sector regards what is "family." Babies are entitled to medical insurance regardless of whether they have one mommy, two mommies, two dads or one dad.

Makes me wonder what my county would do in this situation. Think I will look it up.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    That's really lousy, TS...I hope y'all can get this worked out in your favor.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Would they apply this same illogic to an employee who had legal guardianship of a grandchild?

What rights does legal guardianship give you in your state? I see so many instances here in FL where a legal guardian can do the same things as a natural or adoptive parent: enroll a child in school, direct medical care, etc. If you could put your son on your car insurance when he's a teenager (assuming you could), you should be able to add him to your health insurance.

I cannot imagine your frustration. This does suck.

I agree this sucks and hope you fight them tooth and nail. I'd call the state ACLU and see if they can't give your attorney some instruction/suggestions/support. Good luck!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Would they apply this same illogic to an employee who had legal guardianship of a grandchild?

What rights does legal guardianship give you in your state? I see so many instances here in FL where a legal guardian can do the same things as a natural or adoptive parent: enroll a child in school, direct medical care, etc. If you could put your son on your car insurance when he's a teenager (assuming you could), you should be able to add him to your health insurance.

I cannot imagine your frustration. This does suck.
    I have the same rights as a biological parent. The problem is that our insurance program uses language that seems to intentionally discriminate against same sex families. It defines a child who is eligible as one who is biologically related, legally adopted, a stepchild (through a legal marriage), OR a child under legal guardianship (which should give me the ability to add him) except 1) when the child's biological parent resides at the same location as the legal guardian or 2) a child who is not financially dependent 100% on the guardian . So if MW didn't live with us, I could add him, but only if she pays for nothing in his life.

It is probably going to cost more to sue the county than it would to pay for insurance, but I want to sue anyway. I wonder if I can afford it.... probably not. I am definitely going to call every organization in the country available to find help though.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The bad news is that you're in this in the first place, but the good news may well be that Ohio is not the arbiter of this matter according to this:

http://employment.findlaw.com/wages-...forcement.html

Seems the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) governs how private employers and pension or insurance companies must administer employee benefit plans, including employee healthcare plans. From the site:

ERISA governs benefits such as pension plans, health and disability insurance, death benefits, severance plans, plans providing pre-paid legal services, scholarship funds, apprenticeship and training programs, and employer-operated day care centers. ERISA does not cover plans that are required and administered by state laws, such as workers' compensation or unemployment compensation.

Remember that the law does not require an employer to provide its employees with any particular benefits, such as healthcare plans. However, ERISA mandates that once an employer decides to offer such a plan, it must be run in accordance with certain standards designed to protect the interests of employees and other plan beneficiaries (such as family members).
    Last edited by Mastiff; 01 Nov 2012 at 4:47 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2004
    I'm really sorry and angry to hear this TS. I don't know what else to say other than to second or third btrage's motion.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Play politics

I have the same rights as a biological parent. The problem is that our insurance program uses language that seems to intentionally discriminate against same sex families. It defines a child who is eligible as one who is biologically related, legally adopted, a stepchild (through a legal marriage), OR a child under legal guardianship (which should give me the ability to add him) except 1) when the child's biological parent resides at the same location as the legal guardian or 2) a child who is not financially dependent 100% on the guardian . So if MW didn't live with us, I could add him, but only if she pays for nothing in his life.

It is probably going to cost more to sue the county than it would to pay for insurance, but I want to sue anyway. I wonder if I can afford it.... probably not. I am definitely going to call every organization in the country available to find help though.
    My thoughts: talk to your state senator and rep, county commissioners, city councilfolk. There's someone running for re-election who would love to take this on to get their names in the paper. Conversely, there are incumbents not on the ballot who would love to step in and speak to this issue. Depends on your local politics.

You shouldn't have to sue. Guessing there's a rainbow attorney who would love to take this on, perhaps as a class action suit.

Just north of the border, dependent children can obtain coverage via a state program. I don't have all the facts, so you might verify that a family of your characteristics would be covered. And then play that card to the hilt. "Gee, Michigan would provide us coverage. Sure would be nice if we didn't have to move to the Wolverine state."

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I'm really sorry and angry to hear this TS. I don't know what else to say other than to second or third btrage's motion.
    Same here.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    My thoughts: talk to your state senator and rep, county commissioners, city councilfolk. There's someone running for re-election who would love to take this on to get their names in the paper. Conversely, there are incumbents not on the ballot who would love to step in and speak to this issue. Depends on your local politics.

You shouldn't have to sue. Guessing there's a rainbow attorney who would love to take this on, perhaps as a class action suit.

Just north of the border, dependent children can obtain coverage via a state program. I don't have all the facts, so you might verify that a family of your characteristics would be covered. And then play that card to the hilt. "Gee, Michigan would provide us coverage. Sure would be nice if we didn't have to move to the Wolverine state."
    That is a good idea. Unfortunately, though I live in a traditionally very blue county which has granted domestic partnership rights to us and has a county policy of tolerance, I work in a county that is very red and very ... um... how to say this... let's just say they all have Romney signs in their yards, so pleading with my local politicians may prove fruitless. I will still try though!
    Occupy Your Brain!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Mustaches and hiring discrimination
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 22 Dec 2010, 7:43 PM
  2. Easy Targets (for AFD)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 10:00 AM