Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Univ. of Wisconsin: Madison vs. Milwaukee

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2012

Univ. of Wisconsin: Madison vs. Milwaukee

Application season is winding down, so I'm skimming to see if there are any schools out there I overlooked that I want to apply to (and still have time to do so). I have been thinking about the University of Wisconsin at Madison, which is a part of the country I could be in. And then I heard that University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee also has an MUP program as well.

I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the differences between the schools. Do they differ in focus? How about quality? I am tempted to say that Madison has more academic resources, and a degree there may have more caché. Then again, Milwaukee may have greater internship opportunities. Having only done what research I can via the Internet, I really can't tell what the programs are like. Both cities seem pleasant to live in.

Apologies if this was addressed before. The last thread I found on this subject was in 2002, and things may have changed since then.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2010
    About 45 minutes southeast of Thibodaux, Lousiana
    The classic line is that Milwaukee is the design school and Madison is the policy school. Rumor has it that in Milwaukee there isn't much love shared between the architects and the planners, and that the "design" rep of the school is somewhat overstated. (Shocker?) To be honest, your experience (read:internships) is what really counts anyway as far as getting a job. Pick a program that you think seems nice and go for it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Wisconsin-Madison
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Apr 2013, 9:00 PM
  2. What school? UW-Madison vs. UW-Milwaukee
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 May 2012, 4:27 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 May 2012, 10:13 AM