Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: McGill MUP

Registered
    Apr 2012

McGill MUP

Hi Guys,

So I just read the website saying that McGill's MUP won't be offering the Transportation Specialization for students applying for Fall 2013 start. For anyone attending this program, do you think it's worth waiting a year to try for this specialization?

Also, what would a competitive GPA be? When they say 3.0 or 3.2 it's not normally helpful I find.

Thanks guys,

teambear

Registered
    Dec 2012
    I've just applied to McGill too, and thought the limitation is that urban design wasn't being offered? If I'm wrong it would be worthwhile to wait if you wanted to specialize in transport, but also keep in mind it's only after the first semester students are able to apply for the program.

As per the GPA, I believe that's just a base requirement and the competitiveness of this single factor depends on the GPA of those applying.

Don't know if this helps or was just annoying. Hope it's the latter and not the former!

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Competitive GPA = the average moves depending on who applies. So if the have 30 seats in a program, and 100 people apply, the 30 people with the highest GPA will get those seats. Whoever is 30th, thats the cut off GPA for admission. Could be 3.0, could be 3.6 could be 4.0, ect.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    Competitive GPA = the average moves depending on who applies. So if the have 30 seats in a program, and 100 people apply, the 30 people with the highest GPA will get those seats. Whoever is 30th, thats the cut off GPA for admission. Could be 3.0, could be 3.6 could be 4.0, ect.
    That's assuming GPA is the only metric... which at a lot of schools it is not. IIRC when I applied (and got in) to Dalhousie a 3.7 got you automatic acceptance and an entrance scholarship, and then there was a minimum GPA (3.0 maybe?). If you met the minimum you were considered based on your resume, your essay, your statement of interest, and your GPA. While GPA was a factor, it certainly wasn't the only determining one. So if you're hovering near the minimum, don't necessarily be discouraged, especially if you have some good plannign experience or can write a good essay,

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What school? McGill or Penn?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Apr 2012, 6:39 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Sep 2009, 3:02 PM
  3. Planning at McGill U.
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Dec 2008, 12:37 AM