Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Article - Suburbs increasingly view their auto-centric sprawl as a health hazard

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Article - Suburbs increasingly view their auto-centric sprawl as a health hazard

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.6ffa34a29440

It’s not just physical health. Preserving trees and other green space is cited as key to a community’s mental health,

“People really are beginning to understand . . . what went wrong in how we designed our cities and suburbs over the past 50 years with the dependence on cars,”

The link between planning and public health is gaining attention at a time when many suburbs are seeking to redevelop corridors of wide streets lined with 1950s-era strip malls, gas stations and parking lots. That car-centric design has proved dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists,
    AND

Food-systems planners are playing a growing role in municipal policy
    http://www.macleans.ca/education/foo...icipal-policy/

While there aren’t many food-systems planners in Canada, the words are appearing in municipal government job descriptions, and it is prevalent in the non-profit sector. “Food-systems planners are ahead of where the field is,” says Vancouver-based planning consultant Kimberley Hodgson, who’s also chair of the American Planning Association’s Food Systems Planning Interest Group.
    Does you fair community Comp Plan address such issues/topics ?
    Are you seeing more conference sessions on these issues/topics ?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    As a rural county we don't, but we should. Where else do you start addressing food challenges, but where you grow food. My state grows the majority of the nations wheat and we export almost all of it. You would think flour mills would be everywhere, but they're not. So I can't buy local white flour (we do have a local wheat flour mill).

We have a group that's working on the food desert thing, but I think it's a joke. I think part of it is just going after grants and part of it is just a group that want a cool, hip, farmer's market, but they don't realize that farmers here produce for income so they grow wheat and soy. We don't grow veggies here. It's just not the highest use of the farm ground. I'm sure you could talk a farmer into doing an acre of tomatoes, but they just don't have the equipment to do it right or in a quantity that makes it worth their time. Also, the town is 4 miles by 1 mile. They claim the north end is a food desert. There's a grocery store on the south end, and one kind of in the middle. We even got a small one to locate kind of in the north end. So it's a little over a mile to a grocery store and you can always catch the bus to get to the big one down south. These people don't know what a real food desert is.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Isn't the a bit of shutting the barn door after the horse has already left? Besides, how are you going to retrofit a standard, older subdivision?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jul 2014, 2:29 PM
  2. Couple of Website Articles
    The Plannersphere
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 May 2014, 9:37 PM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last post: 03 Mar 2011, 2:46 PM
  4. Replies: 52
    Last post: 13 Feb 2006, 1:31 PM