Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any Referendum or Public Questions on your ballot this year ?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    No refernda on my ballot this time around here in my precinct in the City of Appleton.

I'm not sure about the rest of the city, though, as Appleton covers parts of three counties and five school districts. (Ya just gotta love Wisconsin's gross overabundance of local government!)

Mike

Registered
    Feb 1998
    KS wants to change the way pleasure boats are assessed and taxed; to be competitive with neighbor states. The damned proposal is 3 screens long!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    KS wants to change the way pleasure boats are assessed and taxed; to be competitive with neighbor states. The damned proposal is 3 screens long!
    Can't imagine they sell many boats like that in Kansas. I know Florida and Texas were racing to the bottom on taxing those things but at least they're not landlocked.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    In Ohio we have an interesting ballot issue - Whether or not to have a Constitutional Convention. It turns out we are required every 20 years to put the question on the ballot.

As someone who believes we need a national constitutional convention, I might have voted yes. My guess is that it will be voted down 70% to 30%.

We also have a second issue that deals with redistricting. Our state GOP gamed the system enough this year to make the Democratic party put this issue up. The gist of it is that a bipartisan commission will decide every 10 years how the gerrymandering will go instead of the legislature... not sure I trust anyone to do it unbiasedly...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    We also have a second issue that deals with redistricting. Our state GOP gamed the system enough this year to make the Democratic party put this issue up. The gist of it is that a bipartisan commission will decide every 10 years how the gerrymandering will go instead of the legislature... not sure I trust anyone to do it unbiasedly...
    California just did something like this and now Republicans are expecting to get killed this year as a result. Republicans didn't feel the commission was bipartisan enough but that's unsurprising when the state is solid blue.

Registered
    May 2002
    Kentucky is voting on a constitutional amendment to guarentee the right to hunt and fish. Not that either was in danger.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    Kentucky is voting on a constitutional amendment to guarentee the right to hunt and fish. Not that either was in danger.
    Right to hunt wildlife? Or politicians?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Two state level amendments to the constitution - one to allow a state panel to approve charter schools (right now only local school boards can - a previous state panel was shut down by the courts as unconstitutional), and another to allow the state to enter into multi-year lease deals for real property (right now they can only rent/lease on a year-to-year basis). I'm skipping the charter school one (don't have any kids), voting yes on the lease one.
    Charter School amendment passed 58 - 42.

Multi-year lease amendment passed 64 - 36. Who the hell are the 36% that would vote against the state being able to save money (you know, their tax dollars)?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So proud of Maine, Maryland, and most likely Washington and Minnesota.

I am glad that LGBT rights are going to become the norm. I hope that with the loss that the GOP reevaluates their position on social issues, so they can again be relevant when it comes to social change.

Interesting that Colorado will be a legal pot state now....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    We had a bunch of constitutional changes at the state level. It was amazing how both liberals and conservatives both said no. Our City also changed the law to allow for the possession of a small amount of pot to only result in a $25 civil infraction ticket. While I voted for it, I still don't understand how it works with the Fed's classifying it as a Narc.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Interesting that Colorado will be a legal pot state now....
    Same with WA.

The CO Gov. last night said something to the effect of "don't break out the cheetos or goldfish too quickly"

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Local stadium public funding initiative failed in Wilmington NC last night as I thought it would. I said two weeks ago 4 to 1 it would fail. Ultimately final tally was 70% - 30% fail. This is not the right economic time to borrow over $30M for a private stadium.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jun 2003
    No city/county consolidation.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Florida has 11 constitutional amendments on the ballot. Each requires a 60% majority to pass.
    This demonstrates to me that the Tallahassee elected officials are not doing their jobs.
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I think my mom said she voting NO on all of them. I heard they tried to put cute titles on them to make them sound like a good thing and slipped in some crap too. Gov. Scott and the boys strikes again
    Florida rejected 8 of the 11 state constitutional amendments
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/politic...cle1260351.ece
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Dallas approved 3 bond initiatives worth +/-$642M.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Local stadium public funding initiative failed in Wilmington NC last night as I thought it would. I said two weeks ago 4 to 1 it would fail. Ultimately final tally was 70% - 30% fail. This is not the right economic time to borrow over $30M for a private stadium.
    Yay!

Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post
    Petition-driven city charter change to make the mayor a directly elected position, rather than selected from among the elected councilmen in a closed-door meeting.
    This passed with 75%.

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Same with WA.
    The CO Gov. last night said something to the effect of "don't break out the cheetos or goldfish too quickly"
    I was laughing about this, based on the last 4 years the people voting for pot and Obama will be getting busted by Obama's DEA pretty soon

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Fall 2010 referendum thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Sep 2010, 9:15 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Jul 2009, 7:35 PM
  3. Zoning referendum
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10