Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cool holidays (we don't actually celebrate)

Registered
    Feb 2004

Cool holidays (we don't actually celebrate)

Halloween has candy and costumes, Independance Day has parades and fireworks. Thanksgiving features a feast and is for many a four day holiday, and Christmas has decorations, music and gifts.

What if you were designing a new holiday - when would it fall on the calendar? Naturally, it would include time off from work, but how long? Would there be any traditional music or foods? What is it called and what does it observe/commemorate?

Describe your ideal holiday.

Last edited by Maister; 01 Nov 2013 at 10:53 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I still like the idea of Festivus for the rest of us. A pole, some feats of strength and don't forget to air your grievances.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    One holiday from my hometown is finally getting some national recognition: Dyngus Day!

From Wikipedia:

The festival is traditionally celebrated by boys throwing water over girls they like and spanking them with pussy willows. Boys would sneak into girls' homes at daybreak on Easter Monday and throw containers of water over them while they were still in bed. ... After all the water had been thrown, the screaming girls would often be dragged to a nearby river or pond for another drenching. Sometimes a girl would be carried out, still in her bed, before both bed and girl were thrown into the water together. Particularly attractive girls could expect to be soaked repeatedly during the day.
    In practice, it's the Polish-American equivalent of St. Patrick's Day; an excuse to get rip-roaring drunk.

It's spreading.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I still like the idea of Festivus for the rest of us. A pole, some feats of strength and don't forget to air your grievances.
    We tried this in college. The aluminum pole was the handle to a Swiffer mop stuck in a bottle of water so it wouldn't tip over.

The airing of grievances was a disaster and ruined the whole thing (never even got to the feats of strength). Apparently half the people didn't understand the point was for the whole thing to be funny. My room mate and I spent a lot of time making false grievances against the rest of the group, only to have them spout real grievances to each other.

In the end, one of the guys there accidentally called this girl by her nickname that she was never supposed to know (we all called her DB, short for dumb b***h). She started crying and stormed off, followed by the rest of her room mates (all women, all attractive), and the thing spiraled out of control.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    She started crying and stormed off, followed by the rest of her room mates (all women, all attractive), and the thing spiraled out of control.
    Was this before or after you threw water on them and spanked them? I love this multicultural stuff.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    We tried this in college. The aluminum pole was the handle to a Swiffer mop stuck in a bottle of water so it wouldn't tip over.

The airing of grievances was a disaster and ruined the whole thing (never even got to the feats of strength). Apparently half the people didn't understand the point was for the whole thing to be funny. My room mate and I spent a lot of time making false grievances against the rest of the group, only to have them spout real grievances to each other.

In the end, one of the guys there accidentally called this girl by her nickname that she was never supposed to know (we all called her DB, short for dumb b***h). She started crying and stormed off, followed by the rest of her room mates (all women, all attractive), and the thing spiraled out of control.
    We used to do it in the office, but it was just our little group airing grievances about the rest of the city. Also make sure to give out cards that say a donation has been made in your name to the Humand Fund.

Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post
    Was this before or after you threw water on them and spanked them? I love this multicultural stuff.
    I like the part about breaking into pretty girls houses while they're sleeping and throwing a bucket of water on them. I'm not sure if the screaming is from getting drenched or having a creepy mystery guy like me looming over your bed. At least it's all in fun and there's nothing creepy about me then grabbing said girl and carrying her off to the nearest creek in the forest. Good times!
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I know it has been mentioned before, but in many parts of the UP, the opening day of deer hunting season (rifle) is called "Deer Day." Many of the businesses and schools in the UP are closed so the hunters can head out to Camp.

I have been pondering a Unplug from Technology day... I even scheduled it into my iCal on my iPad and sent a text message to my wife about it. She posted it on a friends FB account to see if they wanted to do it too. I think we might have to send out evites.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    One holiday from my hometown is finally getting some national recognition: Dyngus Day!

From Wikipedia:

In practice, it's the Polish-American equivalent of St. Patrick's Day; an excuse to get rip-roaring drunk.

It's spreading.

South Bend, Indiana had/has a Dyngus Day celebration as I remember.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Celebrate Earth Day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 23 Apr 2014, 1:20 PM
  2. What anniversaries do you celebrate?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 23 May 2005, 2:17 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 9:17 AM