Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Find a neighborhood . com?

  1. #1
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,751

    Find a neighborhood . com?

    Not planning related… but still planning related.

    I buddy who works from home and wants to relocate back to the Midwest from CA, and asked me if there is something like Realitor.com but for neighborhoods. He has a detailed checklist of things and everything on that list public data, but nothing that I could filter.

    Something that uses a filter of census, weather, and demographic information to help people find a neighborhood that might meet their desires. He does not care what City or State that he wants to be in, just that he wants to be in the Midwest and has a checklist of things of features and demographics that he wants.

    I found a bunch of sites where you can pick a location and look up all the data on it, but nothing where you can enter the data that you want where it will provide a list of possible locations. I am just thinking that realtors would love something like this to help people relocate. But I think most people would have an idea of what City they want to live in.

    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

  2. #2
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,420
    What about www.walkscore.com
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  3. #3
    Cyburbian Rygor's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Posts
    2,280
    I don't think there is a site that does specifically what you're asking, but these are some good sites that give an idea of different demographic information, from which one can draw their own conclusions:

    Tapestry Data by County, Census Tract, and Block Group:
    http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/vi...2786029f30c7e1

    Synthetic Microdata Household Viewer (based on Census Household Level Info):
    http://portaldev.rti.org/10_Midas_Do...op/portal.html

    Neighborhood Scout:
    http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    6,068
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Not planning related… but still planning related.

    I buddy who works from home and wants to relocate back to the Midwest from CA, and asked me if there is something like Realitor.com but for neighborhoods. He has a detailed checklist of things and everything on that list public data, but nothing that I could filter.

    Something that uses a filter of census, weather, and demographic information to help people find a neighborhood that might meet their desires. He does not care what City or State that he wants to be in, just that he wants to be in the Midwest and has a checklist of things of features and demographics that he wants.

    ?
    So, he want to move to North or South Dakota, Kansas or Nebraska, right.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  5. #5
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,751
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    So, he want to move to North or South Dakota, Kansas or Nebraska, right.
    He was thinking MN, WI, MI, IL, OH, IN, or Western PA.

    I sent off the links to him that were posted above. None of them quite get to what I was thinking about, but combined they might help.

    I also contacted a web deign buddy of mine thinking if it does not exist, lets make it. Apparently it is very easy to map out, but would be very difficult to get all the information organized in away that it can be property filtered into a map format. On small scales, it would be easier but when you start taking entire regions into consideration it changes it.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    5,776
    Such a theoretical site would be pretty cool. Besides the weather, you could really get a lot of that type of information from the Census Bureau. However, you'd have to download huge swaths of the block group level data from the FTP site if you wanted to be able to compare a bunch of sites at once. I guess you could download a few datasets and plug them into ArcMap to compare them visually.

    But even with the pretty comprehensive list of housing datasets that are available (avg size, age, number of bedrooms, number of bathrooms, value...) I'd really want a dataset that had information on the prevelance of types of architecture in the neighborhoods, setbacks, tree coverage, etc. It's also hard to quantify the subjective character of a neighborhood. For instance, the Neighborhood Scout site that Rygor posited has a lot of good statistical information presented as narrative but it's just using the generic Census data or ESRI tapestry segment data to build those narratives. I looked at my neighborhood on there and it includes our tract and the tract directly to the north. The residential area in the northern portion looks like the neighborhood in Home Alone or any other John Hughes movie and would definitely qualify as picturesque but of course there is no mention of that. How would you?

    It's these types of situations that demonstrate one of the few actual reasons to keep skilled and knowledgeable realtors around.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  7. #7
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    5,776
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I also contacted a web deign buddy of mine thinking if it does not exist, lets make it. Apparently it is very easy to map out, but would be very difficult to get all the information organized in away that it can be property filtered into a map format. On small scales, it would be easier but when you start taking entire regions into consideration it changes it.
    That's the problem I see too.

    My suggestion for your buddy would be to narrow down the metro areas that he would seriously consider first, maybe using the weather they would like, topography, proximity to particular pro-sports teams, who knows... and go from there. For most datasets, rural considerations wouldn't really work in this type of exercise because the geographies are just too large (in order to accommodate the minimum number of households or population) to really be useful IMO. After he has the metros he might like, he can map out specific demographics or housing information to find possible communities in those metros to look into deeper. He may want to add layers with public parks, elementary schools (and adding in information about school performance), property tax rates, residential foreclosures, etc. to narrow his selection down further. Once he gets to that point he would probably want to start searching the MLS, spending hours on Google Streetview, reading the online versions of the free weekly papers and contact realtors in those markets and tell them exactly what he is looking for.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    6,068
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    He was thinking MN, WI, MI, IL, OH, IN, or Western PA.

    I sent off the links to him that were posted above. None of them quite get to what I was thinking about, but combined they might help.

    I also contacted a web deign buddy of mine thinking if it does not exist, lets make it. Apparently it is very easy to map out, but would be very difficult to get all the information organized in away that it can be property filtered into a map format. On small scales, it would be easier but when you start taking entire regions into consideration it changes it.
    I would steer him away from Indiana.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 26 Feb 2011, 3:28 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Nov 2008, 6:18 PM
  3. Replies: 81
    Last post: 08 Nov 2005, 2:59 PM