Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

2013 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

One the anniversary of the 2012 MLB Thread, we now start the 2013 MLB Thread.

Will the Giants repeat? Will Remond be a good manager for the Marlins only to be fired by Loria? Will the Cubbies be in first or last place at the end of April? Will the Tigers find their bats (since they were obliviously stolen after the ALCS)? Will Planit & Bubba & Brockton post more than 9 times about the Braves? Will Clueless Bud get a clue?

Come back occassionally to hear the opinions, comments and ramblings over the course of the 2013 MLB Season.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    It's going to be an interesting off season with the high number of good free agents available. We've already seen movement - Ervin Santana being traded to the Royals.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Braves picked up options for 2013 on McCann, Hudson, and Maholm, and then (re)claimed Jordan Schafer from Houston on waivers. Frank Wren was very quick to point out that Schafer is being brought in as a low-cost option for depth, and not to replace Bourn in CF if the Braves fail to re-sign him.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Braves picked up options for 2013 on McCann, Hudson, and Maholm, and then (re)claimed Jordan Schafer from Houston on waivers. Frank Wren was very quick to point out that Schafer is being brought in as a low-cost option for depth, and not to replace Bourn in CF if the Braves fail to re-sign him.
    Bourn is gone...I also hate Scott Boras...not as much as Bud Selig. Teams are learning the value of a true lead off hitter and Bourn is one of the best and Boras will make sure some team over pays for his services.

Braves post #1
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Please let us Giants fans gloat for several months before you start talking about the 2013 season.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Please let us Giants fans gloat for several months before you start talking about the 2013 season.
    Does 4 months count as several? Pitchers and catchers report in just over 100 days.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005

Marlins trade their entire team

Well not really - The Marlins traded 7 of their expensive and good players to the Blue Jays for a couple players and several minor leaguers. Right now they only have 5 players under contract with several others arbitration eligible and the replacements from Toronto (one being former Brave Yunel Escobar).

In another move, Loria has demanded they use velcro nameplates on backs of jerseys from now on.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    The Marlins are an abomination of a professional sports franchise. Even thought they've won 2 WS, they should be forced to go away.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Like most Jays moves over the past decade or so, I'm anticipating this one will find a way to blow up.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Torri Hunter signed a 2 year $26 million deal with the Tigers. IMO, Tigers need some bullpen help, not another bat
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Torri Hunter signed a 2 year $26 million deal with the Tigers. IMO, Tigers need some bullpen help, not another bat
    I'm not real excited about the Hunter deal. If we really wanted/needed another outfielder, I would have preferred to hold out for BJ Upton. But I agree that bullpen help should have been a priority.

All in all though, I'm not really surprised with this deal. I think Dombrowski was already sizing up Torii Hunter for a Tigers jersey before the Giants airplane was out of Detroit airspace after the World Series.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    I don't think Dombrowski is done spending Mr. Ilitches money yet.

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I'm not real excited about the Hunter deal. If we really wanted/needed another outfielder, I would have preferred to hold out for BJ Upton. But I agree that bullpen help should have been a priority.

All in all though, I'm not really surprised with this deal. I think Dombrowski was already sizing up Torii Hunter for a Tigers jersey before the Giants airplane was out of Detroit airspace after the World Series.
    I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll fill in nicely batting in the 2nd spot. But I also remember 2008 when we were supposed to score 1000 runs.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Aren't they gonna let Delmon Young leave for FA? I thought they might have picked up Torri to replace Delmon.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Aren't they gonna let Delmon Young leave for FA? I thought they might have picked up Torri to replace Delmon.
    Correct, they declined to offer DY a contract. Actually, Victor Martinez coming back is the replacment for DY. Torri is just an upgrade to the outfield. The Tigers identified corner outfield, shortstop and pitching/bullpen as their needs, so this fills in one of those. I think we're stuck with Peralta, the Human Construction Barrel, at short. I think we'll add another arm in the pen to replace Valverde, and possibly make a trade for another starter, especially if we can't resign Sanchez, who looks like he'll get more money from another team.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    So now the Jays have apparently signed Melky Cabrera?! (2 years, $16 million).

I sort of liked the fact that the Cardinals are one of the few teams not to wear 'alternate' uniforms but if you are going to start, then these Saturday home only uniforms are truly sweet. But I love the fact that we are ditching the blue road caps. I hated those things. HATED!

Now Mo, go get us safety at SS and a LOOGY.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2006
    It looks like the Braves added another power hitting, strike out hitter. At least he can hit from the right side of the plate...now only if we could actually find a lead off hitter.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I don't think Dombrowski is done spending Mr. Ilitches money yet.

I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll fill in nicely batting in the 2nd spot. But I also remember 2008 when we were supposed to score 1000 runs.
    I see lots of trade material. For a reliable closer (if such an animal exists outside of Yankee Stadium).
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    What will happen in Hockeytown if the baseball season goes like the hockey season:

-------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    What will happen in Hockeytown if the baseball season goes like the hockey season:

That's about right.

Even though Detroit is referred to as Hockeytown, it's really a football and baseball city first.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    David Wright is now a Met for his career - big contract & 8 years. He's been good for the team, one of the staples for a few years now.

Evan Longoria signed another long term deal with the Rays. Said he loves it there so why leave. Now there's a good story.

Glad to see that they are not chasing just the $$$ anywhere.

The team in Canada is chaning their name to the Toronto Blue Marlins (counldn't resist, sorry)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    The team in Canada is chaning their name to the Toronto Blue Marlins (counldn't resist, sorry)
    The Jays had to do it to stay competitive in the AL East. Next year could get interesting especially if the Yankmees and the Sox have an off year. If I was a Marlins fan, I'd be pissed. They had a rent a team for one year, had a so-so year,got the stadium, and now it's a fire sale. At least the Chicago teams were able to unload a couple of basket cases ( Ozzie and Z).
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    That's about right.

Even though Detroit is referred to as Hockeytown, it's really a football and baseball city first.
    I'm dating myself, but when I left the Day-twa area as a teenager, no one admitted to watching, going to, or listening to a Lions' game. I'm not really a sports fan any more save for baseball on occasion and watching hockey once a week, but fuh-bawl? No way, because of the Lions. Billy Sims left, Billy Sims right, Billy Sims up the middle, punt. Repeat for 60 minutes, Wm Clay Ford makes millions. Continue the same next year. We'd go outside and shoot or skate in those days instead of watch. Now the BIL has season tickets and suddenly everyone is a fan (as seen from way out here at a distance).
    -------

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Braves trade Hanson to Angels for Walden

I guess the conversation between GMs was something like 'Ya wanna swap a couple pitchers for the fun of it?'
    Both had good beginnings and sub-par performances last year. Maybe a change in scenary will do them good.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Trading Time

It must be hard to be a Red Sox fan when alot of your stars sign with your archrival later in their career... latest example Kevin "Greek God of Walks" Youkilis for $12m for a year (and to replace poor litttle ARod).

In other news, there seems to be alot of positive and negative impressions about the recent Rays / Royals trade. The Rays gave up 2 really good pitchers for the Royals #1 & #3 prspects and a couple throw-in minors.

There was also a three-way deal and several other offseason trades / signings going on...Only 63 days til Pitchers & Catchers Report!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 233
    Last post: 30 Oct 2011, 12:12 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Nov 2010, 11:25 AM
  3. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM
  4. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 11:28 AM
  5. Replies: 338