Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    It must be hard to be a Red Sox fan when alot of your stars sign with your archrival later in their career... latest example Kevin "Greek God of Walks" Youkilis for $12m for a year (and to replace poor litttle ARod).
    Youk is washed up and constantly getting injured. That was a good riddance move by the Sox because Middlebrooks is the future at 3B.

I can't believe the Royals dealt Myers to the Rays. That was a stupid trade IMO- he is a very, very highly touted prospect. Like a legitimate "can't miss" guy. Kudos to Tampa Bay, another smart move by probably one of the best-run organizations in baseball in terms of acquiring high-level talent on a low payroll.

Unfortunately it looks like there is a hangup in the Sox getting Mike Napoli. Word is he failed the physical. I hope the Sox can get this done because I've always been high on Napoli. He's the big right-handed bat they need.

Where do you think Hamilton will go?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    It must be hard to be a Red Sox fan when alot of your stars sign with your archrival later in their career... latest example Kevin "Greek God of Walks" Youkilis for $12m for a year (and to replace poor litttle ARod).

In other news, there seems to be alot of positive and negative impressions about the recent Rays / Royals trade. The Rays gave up 2 really good pitchers for the Royals #1 & #3 prspects and a couple throw-in minors.
    I'll refrain fro, getting into the Red Sox/Yankmees soap opera. The Royals/Rays trade had to be be made for both organization. The Royals needed to make a bid to be competitive in the AL Central. For the Rays, it fit their SOP.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 12 Dec 2012 at 2:06 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quietly, the SF Giants have all their World Series position players under contract for next season. Meanwhile, the Dodgers and Angels continue to spend $$ like drunken sailors. I wonder what's in the water in Los Angeles?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Josh Hamilton to the Angels is pretty scary... they will be good... which is annoying.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Josh Hamilton to the Angels is pretty scary... they will be good... which is annoying.
    I have a feeling this isn't going to work out. And I'm not saying this as a fan of the Motor City Kitties.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I have a feeling this isn't going to work out. And I'm not saying this as a fan of the Motor City Kitties.
    In a 180+/- game schedule, you expect Josh to be good to great in maybe 60 games, uninvolved to terrible in 60, and unable to play for various reasons in the other 60. With Trout and Pujols in the lineup, that may work for the Angels but he was also a huge distraction in the Ranger clubhouse. I'm not optimistic that he'll play out his contract.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    In a 180+/- game schedule, you expect Josh to be good to great in maybe 60 games, uninvolved to terrible in 60, and unable to play for various reasons in the other 60. With Trout and Pujols in the lineup, that may work for the Angels but he was also a huge distraction in the Ranger clubhouse.
    He still hit 43 homers last year and that was a down year for him. Also played in 148 games.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    He still hit 43 homers last year and that was a down year for him. Also played in 148 games.
    Hey, I'm in Dallas and I know what he's capable of doing. I also know that he hasn't been able to do it consistently. Maybe he'll do better where he has more hitting support. Between Josh and CJ, the press will get lots of interesting and puzzling quotes.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Does that mean that the Rangers go after Michael Bourn? He is the only high profile outfielder left and the Rangers have missed on both Uptons and Hamiliton.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Hey, I'm in Dallas and I know what he's capable of doing. I also know that he hasn't been able to do it consistently. Maybe he'll do better where he has more hitting support. Between Josh and CJ, the press will get lots of interesting and puzzling quotes.
    I see him as a ton of talent but brittle, and this is a huge bet that there is a chance he'll go against history and stay healthy. If so, look out. But you never can predict playoff performance, which is what you want. Few players in baseball have better swings, a joy to watch. Big risk IMHO. Trout and Albert should be enough.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

What a handsome guy

That's all I have to say.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Mets finally get a Cy Young pitcher - Mets trade their Cy Young pitcher - Mets baseball, not quite as bad as the Marlins.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Mets finally get a Cy Young pitcher - Mets trade their Cy Young pitcher - Mets baseball, not quite as bad as the Marlins.
    I thought it was a good trade for the NY Mets. They are at least two years away from competing and they got two top prospects for a 38 year old knuckler. With the Yankees and Sox both down this might be the Blue Jays only shot at winning the East for several years. I thought it was a good trade for both sides.

Who is going to sign Michael Bourn? I would rather of had Bourn than Upton for the price the Braves paid.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I thought it was a good trade for the NY Mets. They are at least two years away from competing and they got two top prospects for a 38 year old knuckler.
    Dickey will probably be effective for another 7 years or so. Look at Tim Wakefield.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Who is going to sign Michael Bourn? I would rather of had Bourn than Upton for the price the Braves paid.
    I agree 100% - Upton is a headcase
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    7 1/2 weeks gone - 7 1/2 weeks to go

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The Yankees suck,

Registered
    Jul 2006
    The Yankees suck,
    Big Time!

Registered
    May 2005
    The Yankees suck,
    I liked the Yankees during the late 90s/early 2000s heyday of the Jeter/Bernie Williams/Mariano Rivera/Posada group. The most recent incarnation with A-Rod I don't like.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I liked the Yankees during the late 90s/early 2000s heyday of the Jeter/Bernie Williams/Mariano Rivera/Posada group. The most recent incarnation with A-Rod I don't like.
    Way, way back in the day, I was a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers. I never forgave them for moving to the left coast but I've kept my hatred of the Yankees intact.

The BBWAA announced today that no eligible player received the requisite 75% of the vote for the Baseball Hall of Fame. I'm a little surprised that Craig Biggio didn't make it (68%) but feel pretty sure he will next year. Deservedly, IMPO, since as a Cards fan I hated playing him but respected his talent immensely. Very glad the 'roid abusers didn't get there and hope they never do.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I am loving the fact that Scott Boras is not getting his over priced talent signed. Although I am hoping the Braves sign Bourn to a very reasonable one year deal to play left field and have Prado at 3B.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I am loving the fact that Scott Boras is not getting his over priced talent signed. Although I am hoping the Braves sign Bourn to a very reasonable one year deal to play left field and have Prado at 3B.
    As nice as that would be, I'd say there's about 3% chance of that happening...going from memory, Los Bravos have about $8 mil left to spend, and the rumblings yesterday were that they might go ahead and spend that on long-term deals for some of the youngsters (starting with Heyward). Besides, Francisco apparently lost some weight and was tearing it up at the plate in the Winter League...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2005
    Remember it wasn't until January 26 of last year that Boras squeezed 200+ million out of the Tigers. He's still got some time.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Remember it wasn't until January 26 of last year that Boras squeezed 200+ million out of the Tigers. He's still got some time.
    The difference this year is he has 3 free agents all looking for big paydays. None are as high profile as Fielder. I read last night that Boras is trying to squeeze the Tigers for big money for Soraino (sp). Of course we should never underestimate the stupidity of an owner who wants to win a championship.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 233
    Last post: 30 Oct 2011, 12:12 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Nov 2010, 11:25 AM
  3. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM
  4. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 11:28 AM
  5. Replies: 338