Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    The difference this year is he has 3 free agents all looking for big paydays.
    Plus Jacoby Ellsbury who's contract is up at the end of this year. I'm hoping the Six trade him because there's not a chance in hell he re-signs IMO.

Also, didn't Fielder just get a huge contract extension?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Plus Jacoby Ellsbury who's contract is up at the end of this year. I'm hoping the Six trade him because there's not a chance in hell he re-signs IMO.

Also, didn't Fielder just get a huge contract extension?
    No, he was a free agent signing and the Tigers entered the bidding late. I think everyone thought he was going to the Rangers or Nationals.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    No, he was a free agent signing and the Tigers entered the bidding late. I think everyone thought he was going to the Rangers or Nationals.
    He signed a 10-year contract with the Tigers last year at like 20 million a year or so.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    A friend of mine bought a 2013 Braves calendar last week. Guess what, 3 of the players featured are no longer Braves - Tommy Hansen, Jair Jurrgians and Chipper Jones. I told him I'd still count Chipper as a Brave cause he'll show up as a special coach at Spring Training.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2006
    He signed a 10-year contract with the Tigers last year at like 20 million a year or so.
    Sorry, I was responding to the Prince Fielder questions or so I thought.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    MLB has now made officially a balk if the pitcher fakes a throw to third them to first..

BTW - 30 days unitl pitchers & catchers report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    MLB has now made officially a balk if the pitcher fakes a throw to third them to first..
    About damn time. They need to do much more to speed up the games though

Registered
    May 2005

BTW - 30 days unitl pitchers & catchers report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    About damn time. They need to do much more to speed up the games though
    How often during the year did anyone even get picked off with this move????
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    How often during the year did anyone even get picked off with this move????
    It does happen once or twice per season...still not a high enough rate to justify the move. I like the fact that MLB has made it a balk.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    According to a Major League source, the Braves will get Upton and Chris Johnson in exchange for Prado, shortstop prospect Nick Ahmed, Class A infielder Brandon Drury and right-handed pitchers Randall Delgado and Zeke Spruill. The deal is pending the completion of physicals.

So thats why they didn't do arbitration to Prado...could be a good trade if the Upton brothers do well.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    According to a Major League source, the Braves will get Upton and Chris Johnson in exchange for Prado, shortstop prospect Nick Ahmed, Class A infielder Brandon Drury and right-handed pitchers Randall Delgado and Zeke Spruill. The deal is pending the completion of physicals.

So thats why they didn't do arbitration to Prado...could be a good trade if the Upton brothers do well.
    Looks to be a win-win trade if AZ can sign Prado to a long-term deal.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Justin is a bigger headcase than his brother and strikesout 180 times a season and is a marginal defender at best. He was becoming a cancer in the D'Backs clubhouse. I am okay with the trade since Upton is 25 and is under control for 3 years and offensively is an upgrade to Prado. What scares me is the Braves are going to lead the league in strikeouts. With that said I do like the trade...I would probably like it more if I wasn't such a J-Upton hater and was/am a fan of Prado.

None of the prospects were special. In AZ the sports talk radio was focusing on how the D'Backs have a surplus of pitchers in the minors and just acquired a slick fielding, lite hitting minor league prospect at short stop.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Nick Johnson has retired. This is amazing. I don't know how he could have had a 10 year MLB career when he was injured so often. I don't think he ever played an entire season.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Honestly I thought he retired 4 years ago. I think the last time he played well and for most of the year was in 2006 with the Nationals.

Registered
    May 2005
    Looks like the Yankees are trying to void ARod's contract because of the most recent PED allegations.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Part of me says good riddance on the ARod issue. The pther part of me thinks the yankmees should be stuck with him for the rest of his contract they were stupid enough to give him.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Part of me says good riddance on the ARod issue. The pther part of me thinks the yankmees should be stuck with him for the rest of his contract they were stupid enough to give him.
    Union will never let the Yanks off the hook for A-rod's contract though

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Union will never let the Yanks off the hook for A-rod's contract though
    True but with it being the Yankees I would imagine they would sue both MLB and the union if they can prove he used PED's and thus violated the contract.

Players rarely comeback from successful hip surgeries. It messes with their swing too much and makes them too slow in the field.

I hope he retires and quietly goes away, never to be heard from again.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I hope he retires and quietly goes away, never to be heard from again.
    As a Red Sox fan I'd like to see him in pinstripes as long as possible.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    True but with it being the Yankees I would imagine they would sue both MLB and the union if they can prove he used PED's and thus violated the contract. I hope he retires and quietly goes away, never to be heard from again.
    Those were my thoughts as well. The Yankmees will try to void the contract because of the PEDs, tho they probably knew about it when he resigned. This will either wind up in Court or they will pay him a portion of the contract to make him go away. I'm interested what his legacy will be. Will he wind up like Sammy Sosa with a black mark forever next to his name or be rehabilitated aka Mark McGuire?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Nick Johnson has retired. This is amazing. I don't know how he could have had a 10 year MLB career when he was injured so often. I don't think he ever played an entire season.
    Honestly I thought he retired 4 years ago. I think the last time he played well and for most of the year was in 2006 with the Nationals.
    Just found this infographic - quite telling

http://flipflopflyin.com/flipflopfly...ckjohnson.html

Ugh, for the third straight year, the Cardinals lose a starting pitcher for the season with the announcement that Chris Carpenter won't pitch in 2013. Worse, it looks as though 'Carp's' career has ended abruptly. CC was a bulldog and gave us a very good chance to win every fifth day. Time for Adam Wainwright to step into Carp's role as the staff leader.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Ugh, for the third straight year, the Cardinals lose a starting pitcher for the season with the announcement that Chris Carpenter won't pitch in 2013. Worse, it looks as though 'Carp's' career has ended abruptly. CC was a bulldog and gave us a very good chance to win every fifth day. Time for Adam Wainwright to step into Carp's role as the staff leader.
    Just another reason the Reds will win the division
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Sad to see a NH guy have his career end this way. Have respected Carp since he was in high school (where my brother, by the way, went 6 for 8 against him in his career).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Just another reason the Reds will win the division
    Dusty will find a way to mess the Reds up, I'm sure. Plus, neither of us will have the Astros to pad our division W-L records against from now on.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 233
    Last post: 30 Oct 2011, 12:12 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Nov 2010, 11:25 AM
  3. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM