Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Season Overlapping - Just Wrong

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Holiday Season Overlapping - Just Wrong

Today I saw a newspaper ad and heard on the radio - Kids come greet Santa at the Mall this saturday.

And it's not even Thanksgiving !

Enough already !
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I took my daughter on a walk yesterday afternoon and saw two houses had already put up their outdoor Christmas decorations.

How dare they skip right over the Veterans Day decorations!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2002
    Ever since I was a little kid, I refused to do anything Christmas related until the day after Thanksgiving. I continue that proud tradition today by not playing my Christmas music until Thanksgiving +1.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    October 19 through Dec 31 is Christmas season. Anything else is a lie.....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    How dare they skip right over the Veterans Day decorations!
    I hear you! Every year we always make a point to put out our red, white, and blue blinking lights on the house, the lit nativity Iwo Jima display, hang all the bunting, and set up the loudspeakers to play all the 'old favorites' (you know, like Grand Old Flag, Battle Hymn of the Republic, and Sabres & Spurs) for the neighborhood. I find it really helps build on the whole Veterans Day season, and it's not right to skip over that by putting out all the turkeys and reindeer too soon.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    October 19 through Dec 31 is Christmas season. Anything else is a lie.....
    I wondered if you had busted out the Christmas music yet....I guess that answers the question. My wife started with the Christmas music about a week ago....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I hear you! Every year we always make a point to put out our red, white, and blue blinking lights on the house, the lit nativity Iwo Jima display, hang all the bunting, and set up the loudspeakers to play all the 'old favorites' (you know, like Grand Old Flag, Battle Hymn of the Republic, and Sabres & Spurs) for the neighborhood. I find it really helps build on the whole Veterans Day season, and it's not right to skip over that by putting out all the turkeys and reindeer too soon.
    I'm not hanging up any Veteran's Day decorations or doing anything, we don't get the day off work. Why do you hate America, company I work for???!!!

My irritation/enjoyment of Christmas music & decorations ebbs and flows... this year I'm not really feeling Thanksgiving so may start the Christmas season early.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Ridiculous! One local mall is opening for Black Friday at midnight. I'm staying far, far away.

Edit: I briefly considered applying for a seasonal retail job to make some extra money. Glad I came to my senses.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3745_413755785360566_451858756_n.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	5046
    Oddball

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    Ever since I was a little kid, I refused to do anything Christmas related until the day after Thanksgiving. I continue that proud tradition today by not playing my Christmas music until Thanksgiving +1.
    See that... this post is the exact reason why we have the "war against christmas". How dare you call yourself a christian and not sing the praise of the season ASAP. It's all a liberal commie conspiracy man. Fox news told me so...
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    This year I was pleased to see my neighbors didn't put up their Halloween decorations until early October this year. I blame the recession. Nothing says "last week in September" like an inflatable jack-o-lantern and orange lights on the house.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Ridiculous! One local mall is opening for Black Friday at midnight. I'm staying far, far away.

Edit: I briefly considered applying for a seasonal retail job to make some extra money. Glad I came to my senses.
    Amazon.com is having a count-down to Black Friday.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My town's Christmas tree is UP. I was surprised to see it this morning. The business association has ladie's shopping night this Thursday, and the holiday parade is on Nov. 15.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    My town's Christmas tree is UP. I was surprised to see it this morning. The business association has ladie's shopping night this Thursday, and the holiday parade is on Nov. 15.
    I refuse to do anything Christmas like until after Turkey Day.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Christmas decorations are up on Main Street in Dallas.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I just commented to the missus that there were pumpkins next to the Christmas trees today at HyVee

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Thank You Veloise

Click image for larger version

Name:	579179_431051236956971_361188309_n.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	5061
    Oddball

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I refuse to do anything Christmas like until after Turkey Day.
    Same here. Besides my travel plans, Christmas will after I get back from Thanksgiving and maybe not until December 1TYVM. Now get off my front yard.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Christmas and Thanksgiving are happy times for most. Who cares if they become intermingled. If it makes someone happy to sing Christmas songs on November 13, or put their decorations up on October 4, who am I to judge?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Halloween is over, let's open this thread back up!

Last night I had to run to the store after trick or treating, and the local Meijer had about 10 people working to turn everything over. It was about 9pm and they already had Christmas Trees set up. CostCo and the Big Box home improvement paces put their Christmas stuff out at the end of September.

My wife has a no Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving rule... but I wonder if it matters all that much.

I also loved the line... "The Holiday Season is about food... and it runs from Halloween to the Super Bowl (or Daytona 500 for you Nascar fans)"
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I'm OK to start the whole "Holiday" thing now, but before I really get going I need to smash pumpkins on the driveway. My kids will be informing the neighborhood kids that tonight's the night I will let them come into my house and throw their pumpkins out of my bedroom window to smash on the driveway below.

I always say I'm going to light one on fire and never do. This year, I've got lighter fluid hanging around doing nothing....maybe it's my year.....

PS I'm getting a bunch of email from Amazon telling me they're counting down to Black Friday.....ask me if I care.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I'm OK to start the whole "Holiday" thing now, but before I really get going I need to smash pumpkins on the driveway. My kids will be informing the neighborhood kids that tonight's the night I will let them come into my house and throw their pumpkins out of my bedroom window to smash on the driveway below.

I always say I'm going to light one on fire and never do. This year, I've got lighter fluid hanging around doing nothing....maybe it's my year.....

PS I'm getting a bunch of email from Amazon telling me they're counting down to Black Friday.....ask me if I care.
    Do you care ursus? Do you care? Do you? Do you?

I need to know!!!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    At lunch today I was at the gas station and there was a big stake truck next to me from a Christmas tree farm that was loaded up and taking some trees out to a spot to be sold somewhere already.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I also loved the line... "The Holiday Season is about food... and it runs from Halloween to the Super Bowl (or Daytona 500 for you Nascar fans)"
    I like that sentiment. Words to live by!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I never end up doing anything until about a week after Thanksgiving anyway so it's all wasted on me. I do enjoy the ability to feel lazy for a few months and blame it on the holidays.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    McDonald's was playing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" yesterday
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What is your holiday season
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 27 Nov 2007, 1:52 PM
  2. The "official" Holiday Season
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 05 Nov 2004, 2:04 AM
  3. Overlapping Authorities