Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How to apply to grad school?

Registered
    Nov 2012

How to apply to grad school?

Hi there! I'm planning on applying to graduate programs for Fall 2013 but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'll be taking my GREs in a few weeks and then I'll really sit down and start on my statement of purpose. All the apps are due January/ February so I was wondering what is your opinion on the timeline I have for myself? Do you think it's possible for myself to work on apps in a month or two?

Also, my goal has always been to stay within California but all the California PAB accredited schools seem really competitive for me to even consider. I had a 3.39 GPA and some city planning experience (~6 months). Applying to schools such as UCLA or Cal, would it be a waste of application $$?

I'm depending on the ACSP guide to give me an idea of which schools look appealing. Should I be looking at something else to consider schools?

Let me know your thoughts!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2012
    If you're intent on going to grad school, then the application fees will be a drop in the bucket in the scheme of things, so I'd apply to every school you think would be a good fit. Schools look at the complete package of applicants, so if you're GPA isn't stellar, you could make that up with other aspects, such as your experience. That being said, at the more competitive schools GREs can offer some guidance for how you would fit in compared to other students. If you're way below you'll need to have some other aspects that make up for that. If you're in the range comparable to other applicants, then you'll know you have a decent shot and you can concentrate on your personal statements.

The personal statement is your most important piece. Yes, you can get your apps done in the next couple months but you should visit/speak to someone at every school you're interested in. You can get a better sense of the school and what they are looking for in applicants than simply reading a book. I'd also suggest tailoring each statement of purpose to each school you're applying to.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Aug 2012, 2:28 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Sep 2011, 11:58 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Aug 2011, 12:07 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 6:56 PM