Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The standing desk concept

Registered
    Feb 2005

The standing desk concept

I’ve been thinking of converting my desk to a stand up desk somehow. Has anyone done that? Ideally something that can fairly easily be switched back and forth between sitting and standing. I just realized the other day that I have 30+ years to retirement and if I’m sitting down that whole time, my backside won’t fit into the hover-wheelchair or whatever they have by then.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Standing or treadmill desk

Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    I’ve been thinking of converting my desk to a stand up desk somehow. Has anyone done that? Ideally something that can fairly easily be switched back and forth between sitting and standing. I just realized the other day that I have 30+ years to retirement and if I’m sitting down that whole time, my backside won’t fit into the hover-wheelchair or whatever they have by then.
    Thanks for this great idea. (Thread split?)

The websites with IKEA hacks illustrate a couple of methods, using their Billy bookcases as bases. Since I already have a file cabinet and a shelving unit serving as my base, I went with those.

At the store I picked up a large desktop (about $20), a clamp-on desktop shelf (ditto) shelf, and a "Micke add-on unit" (storage, magnetic board) cubby. For many years I've used a piece of OSB painted white as the desktop, and wanted to upgrade it. Went with this shelf, but this one would have worked.

The clamp-on shelf was one of the alternatives for the monitor base, but it turns out to work well to hold the keyboard. The walls are nice as I have some additional items (a coaster for my mug, mousepad and wrist rest, lip balm) right there, and they don't vanish.

Putting the monitor atop the cubby made it too high for comfortable viewing. I am presently seeking a workaround.

Fortunately I was in the process of swapping out the uses of my workspaces, with the projects now facing west and the office to the east. My NEVERENDING home upgrades made me realize that, as long as the east walls are exposed, I should do some renovations on them. And as long as I'm at it, looking up flooring improvements as well. Waiting on the electrician who will add yet another outlet and a phone jack (presently there's a long phone cord running from my router to the west room).

Of course I had to pick up a tall stool for workday variety. Waiting on delivery of an adjustable height, swiveling drafting stool with a footrest. I picked up a make-do bar stool and a cushy aerofoam foot mat at retail.

So far I like it. My previous MO was to spend most of the day perched atop the exercise ball chair, a fun idea but not a panacea. Standing, I'm shifting my position much more. Can perch on the bar stool with either or both feet on the floor, or the footrail. For more options, the standard swivel desk chair is right there, and I can sit on that (and hold a kitty).

I had been making a more concerted effort to get up, go downstairs, move around more. Now I'm doing that any time I'm computing.

Just snapped a photo of the work in progress. (Anyone need a $4 monitor stand?) Yes, those are glass blocks supporting the monitor right now, a potential disaster waiting to happen. I have a scheme in mind involving a fairly heavy flexible wire and a couple of clamp-on flagpole holders...it should be easier to buy multi-purpose hardware at local retailers.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Thanks for this great idea. (Thread split?)

The websites with IKEA hacks illustrate a couple of methods, using their Billy bookcases as bases. Since I already have a file cabinet and a shelving unit serving as my base, I went with those.

At the store I picked up a large desktop (about $20), a clamp-on desktop shelf (ditto) shelf, and a "Micke add-on unit" (storage, magnetic board) cubby. For many years I've used a piece of OSB painted white as the desktop, and wanted to upgrade it. Went with this shelf, but this one would have worked.

The clamp-on shelf was one of the alternatives for the monitor base, but it turns out to work well to hold the keyboard. The walls are nice as I have some additional items (a coaster for my mug, mousepad and wrist rest, lip balm) right there, and they don't vanish.

Putting the monitor atop the cubby made it too high for comfortable viewing. I am presently seeking a workaround.

Fortunately I was in the process of swapping out the uses of my workspaces, with the projects now facing west and the office to the east. My NEVERENDING home upgrades made me realize that, as long as the east walls are exposed, I should do some renovations on them. And as long as I'm at it, looking up flooring improvements as well. Waiting on the electrician who will add yet another outlet and a phone jack (presently there's a long phone cord running from my router to the west room).

Of course I had to pick up a tall stool for workday variety. Waiting on delivery of an adjustable height, swiveling drafting stool with a footrest. I picked up a make-do bar stool and a cushy aerofoam foot mat at retail.

So far I like it. My previous MO was to spend most of the day perched atop the exercise ball chair, a fun idea but not a panacea. Standing, I'm shifting my position much more. Can perch on the bar stool with either or both feet on the floor, or the footrail. For more options, the standard swivel desk chair is right there, and I can sit on that (and hold a kitty).

I had been making a more concerted effort to get up, go downstairs, move around more. Now I'm doing that any time I'm computing.

Just snapped a photo of the work in progress. (Anyone need a $4 monitor stand?) Yes, those are glass blocks supporting the monitor right now, a potential disaster waiting to happen. I have a scheme in mind involving a fairly heavy flexible wire and a couple of clamp-on flagpole holders...it should be easier to buy multi-purpose hardware at local retailers.
    I'm not really into the idea of a standing desk, probably spent too much time at drafting boards, but I have a recumbent exercise bike that would easily adapt to be both desk chair and exercise on demand. The main problem will be finding a spot where the length of the damn thing isn't an issue.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO7

I find the idea of a standing desk appealing for the simple reason I find myself constantly getting up and walking around anyways.

I did, however, work for a few years in retail and can tell you spending 8 hours a stretch standing with no time sitting can be kinda hard on the feet.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I find the idea of a standing desk appealing for the simple reason I find myself constantly getting up and walking around anyways.

I did, however, work for a few years in retail and can tell you spending 8 hours a stretch standing with no time sitting can be kinda hard on the feet.
    The first day of standing was more like 20 minutes. I brought the stationary bar stool up from the kitchen, and moved from the lower chair to the stool to feet, rinse & repeat, many times.

Presently I have my butt perched on the stool, right foot on the rail, left foot extended atop the fuzzy rug (Big Lots, purple shag), and flexing my left knee.

For the home office environment, I recommend a rug color with a sharp contrast to the resident critters; a moment's reflection will clearly illustrate the reason.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We're going to be remodeling our offices soon, and I plan on converting my desk to a standing desk at that time. I've always preferred being on my feet--I even run standing staff meetings (which have the added benefit of encouraging the meeting to move along quickly). I'll get one of those squishy mats to stand on to help with foot comfort.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Personally I'd go with an exercise ball over a standing desk. The idea of being on my feet all day does not appeal to me unless I'm standing on a really nice mat.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Do they make a "lounging" desk or is that only for dictators and sultans and Jabba the Hutt? I'd like one if I could pick it up at Desks Inc. or Ikea or something....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for splitting this off, I was thinking about it again this weekend. And thanks for the ideas Veloise! I had an exercise ball for a while but didn’t use it much, it made me sit too low for my desk. I don’t think that I could get the company to pay for a standing desk unless my current desk falls apart (which doesn’t look like it’ll happen anytime soon). So something I could put on my current desk would be ideal, where I could move my keyboard and monitor down when I want to sit. When I had a temp job before my current job, I was standing for a lot of the day but could sit when I wanted to, and I felt like I had more energy throughout the day, especially in the afternoon.

Maybe since the office will be really quiet on Veteran's Day I'll do more reseach then.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    One of my client communities just renovated the office I use. I asked about it but they said no.

When I work from home, I mostly use the top of a tall cabinet as my desk and my desk as storage for all the other stuff.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    No standing desk for me. But I do keep the top of the filing cabinet clear, so I can stand up and read reports and such. I also tend to proofread my reports while pacing up and down the hall.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    One of my client communities just renovated the office I use. I asked about it but they said no.

When I work from home, I mostly use the top of a tall cabinet as my desk and my desk as storage for all the other stuff.
    We have a tall "standing-height" bar in our house that I use to go over stuff, pay bills, read the newspaper, etc. When I'm standing, I feel more alert and engaged in whatever it is I'm doing.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I have a software-developer friend who has one. I tried it and liked it a lot. I'll carry the laptop around and sometimes I'll work from the top counter in the kitchen. Very easy to do if you have carpet or squishy under your feet.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2004

V 2.0

Still adjusting my monitor height. I feel like Goldilocks. Yesterday I saw a workstation monitor with a built-in adjustable stand, just lift or push on the top of the screen to adjust the height. :want:

Drawback of the huge workspace with a convenient "bridge" close to me:

Drawback of the fluffy squishy foot rug:

plus it collects debris, such as paint chips from the multi-layer wooden floor. Flooring samples keep appearing in the ad space...
    Last edited by Veloise; 08 Nov 2012 at 5:06 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Standing desks are the hot trend in my office now. Usually done with some cardboard boxes with a board on top, so people can switch back and forth easily. I would like to try it but I can't figure out how to do the monitor, and I think I'd turn it into a "leaning" desk too much, which won't work unless it is sturdy.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    This is a great idea. We are in the process right now of designing a new office space. I'll work out some ideas and post them here in a few weeks.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2004

As seen in the New York Times

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    I was looking at a chair like that online a few days ago. I'm not sure I can convince my workplace to let me get one though.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I am intrigued by the concept of a stand-up desk, but do like the idea of getting off of the feet every now and then. Maybe a bar stool would be a good accessory with one.

BTW, during his entire tenures as USSecDef, Donald Rumsfeld was known for using a stand-up desk in his Pentagon office.

Mike

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What's on YOUR desk right now?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 16 Dec 2012, 2:19 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Jun 2010, 10:26 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Mar 2005, 4:27 PM
  4. I must have this desk!