Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: PR tools for planning

Registered
    Feb 2003

PR tools for planning

Looking for a graphic or short video that explains what planning is, any suggestions?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2004
    You tube has a lot of stuff out there on planning.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2003
    yeah, but none that is very "good" imo... its all sort of dorky and boring. dont (we) planners have any "exciting" vids?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Show them Chinatown or Who Framed Roger Rabbit!?! A bit long but they give an idea how development and planning work.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    ... its all sort of dorky and boring. dont (we) planners have any "exciting" vids?
    !

-------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    !

Well, do we? I can't find any short (5 to 10min) vidoes which deal directly with/about planning that seem to have that "excitment" factor that might attract young adults (college students) to the profession. Why dont we have any? And if we do, where are they? I have searched, and searched...

EDIT: Obviously this is my personal opinion, but if someone thinks otherwise, please prove me wrong, I need it by tomorrow (2:30pm CST on November 8, 2012).

Registered
    Jul 2009
    ]
    Why dont we have any?
    I took quite a bit of grief several months ago for pointing out some of the issues with the optics (and public perception) of the folks in the planning profession. Have you ever been to a planning conference or someone else's public gig and watched presentations?! I've stopped using the phrase 'death by PowerPoint' around planners.

The pizazzy stuff always goes to the LArch folks.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    Have you ever been to a planning conference or someone else's public gig and watched presentations?! I've stopped using the phrase 'death by PowerPoint' around planners.

The pizazzy stuff always goes to the LArch folks.
    Yes, I am a Planner by and by, been to many professional conferences. As of recently started working around many LArchs... perhaps this experience has changed my tolerance for the par planning Ppts and the like that we have come to "accept"... we need to improve this, our image of public perception! Just sayin.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Yes, I am a Planner by and by, been to many professional conferences. As of recently started working around many LArchs... perhaps this experience has changed my tolerance for the par planning Ppts and the like that we have come to "accept"... we need to improve this, our image of public perception! Just sayin.
    Yup. My wife and I are a part-time "team" across several disciplines, next week we are traveling to tag-team on several issues. She is not a planner and rarely has good things to say in general about the profession. She works with one whom I respect a great deal, but otherwise she has no time for them, and their output and outcomes in her place are moribund at best. . It is partly a function of this state, but even in places where planners aren't marginalized they are often, well, marginalized and that may result in the optics mentioned upthread. I think it has to do with the received wisdom that the profession 'should' operate in the background; I am much more effective if I downplay the 'planner' bit & I usually just avoid it altogether so people don't drift off.
    -------

Registered
    Mar 2004

Registered
    Jan 2013
    I may forward this following example done by Alpine Shire and a tad unusual.

http://www.alpineshire.vic.gov.au/Pa...sp?Page_Id=130

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS Tools for strategic land use planning
    Information Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Jun 2012, 9:58 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Apr 2009, 3:03 PM
  3. Tools for transit planning?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1