Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What to study to become an urban planner?

Registered
    Nov 2012

What to study to become an urban planner?

Hi guys,

I'm an Australian student and I'm going to begin university at the start of next year but I'm not exactly sure what to study. I was thinking of starting out with an urban planning degree, but out of the top universities here its taught only be two at the undergrad level (at least in the NSW/ACT/VIC area). UNSW and RMIT. Macquarie Uni is a good university that has urban planning, and Melbourne university has an undergrad degree of Bachelor of (built) Environments where you can major in Urban Design and Planning (my score isn't high enough for this course though).

I am interested in the UNSW urban planning degree but it is very urban planning, urban planning, urban planning with only a minor of electives and for 5 years (including 1 year paid internship). Other unis its 4 years including the internship. I'd like to start with a bachelor of arts first before graduate studies, so i can do a more liberal studies degree first.
    UNSW has a post grad urban planning degree where you don't need a related undegrad degree, for 1.5 years. Its suitable for both people who have studied urban planning and those yet to study urban planning.
    Should or do you think since I am only studying urban planning for 1.5 years that i should do a related major? Is a geography major good enough?

TL;DR
    To become an urban planner would this be okay - 3 year Bachelor of Arts majoring in geography and then 1.5 year post grad degree in urban planning.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Clu View post
    To become an urban planner would this be okay - 3 year Bachelor of Arts majoring in geography and then 1.5 year post grad degree in urban planning.
    I can't speak to Australia but this would be a good plan in the US. A geography degree is probably the best option available if you're interested in pursuing a planning degree after graduation.

Registered
    Nov 2012
    Would geography based on more the scientific side (not so much units focused on cities and people) still be useful?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Clu View post
    Would geography based on more the scientific side (not so much units focused on cities and people) still be useful?
    Human geography would be much more useful. Human geography includes stats, economic and industrial geography.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What to study for written planner exam!?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Oct 2008, 12:57 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 17 Sep 2007, 9:41 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 06 Apr 2005, 8:24 PM
  4. Cochin urban study?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Jan 2002, 4:35 AM