Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: University of Utah

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2012

University of Utah

Does anyone know anything about the University of Utah's City and Metropolitan Planning program? A friend of mine loves talking about the virtues of this program, but I have very little information about it otherwise, apart from their own website.

The program seems isolated (it is in Utah, after all), and I'm not sure how much currency a degree from them has, even in the inter mountain West. Nevertheless, I am intrigued. Utah seems exotic to me.

Registered
    Nov 2012

UofU Alumni

I went to the University of Utah and have a Bachelors and Masters in Urban Planning from their program. The MUP program was just getting started when I was there, I think I was the second graduating class. I really enjoyed my experience there and now work for the City of Portland, Oregon. What I think some of the benefits are: SLC feels small enough you can become connected and make change as a student, the program can offer you individual attention and you can get a real sense of community with your peers. They school has also recruited some nationally-known planners for professors and I think this has really helped the school. Yes, sometimes it can feel a little too small-town, but SLC is not as isolated as you might think. Driving distance to Las Vegas, Boise and Denver. It does depend on what you are looking for. Also, if you are outdoorsy, it's a great place to live. I wouldn't worry too much about the clout of a degree there. It is a growing and respected program and the U is the state flagship institution. Most hiring circumstances I have been in they look for if you have a Masters and what your specialties and research was related to. Anyway, I recommend it, but it is my Alma mater after all!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I didn't go the the U (as we call it around here ) but the program is gaining ground. I'd just echo everything the poster above said. I can promise that you'll love the city and the university...it's not always what people expect. I do think "exotic" might be the wrong word, though

PS, if you stay and work in the intermountain west, the degree from the program at the U means plenty. I think very well respected in the region. The program is also very involved with the local chapter of the APA, with many of the municipalities themselves, and partners and provides support to a lot of planning initiatives locally, most notably right now the Wasatch Choice 2040 being pushed by our regional planning agencies.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2012

Current Student

I just started the MCMP program this fall. So far, it has been great. The classes have been interesting and the professors are top notch. There also appear to be plenty of research opportunities as well as a wide variety of planning and planning-related courses. As an undergrad, I attended a smaller state school. While it was a fantastic experience and the program was excellent, it is nice to have access to the many options that a flagship school like the U provides. If you have any specific questions regarding the program, just let me know.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I wish the program was available 30 yrs ago, I would have stayed for it.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Chehalisite View post
    I just started the MCMP program this fall. As an undergrad, I attended a smaller state school. While it was a fantastic experience and the program was excellent, it is nice to have access to the many options that a flagship school like the U provides.
    Weber State? That was my undergrad. Coming to the U next fall for my MPA.

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I wish the program was available 30 yrs ago, I would have stayed for it.
    I don't know if the Aggies would have allowed you to do that, man! They might have come looking for you as a traitor.....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Weber State? That was my undergrad. Coming to the U next fall for my MPA.

Yep, Weber State. I graduated this past April. Good luck at the U next fall. It's no Weber, but it's decent

Registered
    Nov 2012

Info on Utah

I can provide some information about the planning programs at the University of Utah.

The 10 members of our faculty include some the nation's leading researchers and educators in the fields of economic development and growth management (Dr. Arthur C. Nelson), ecological planning (Dr. Nan Ellin), land use and transportation (Dr. Reid Ewing), and urban design (Dr. Michael Larice).

We host two masters programs: one in city and metropolitan planning and another in real estate development (in conjunction with the school of business). The latter has just been named one of the top ten programs in the nation by the Urban Land Institute. In addition, we have a Ph.D. program in metropolitan planning, policy, and design, plus graduate certificates in historic preservation (in conjunction with our school of architecture), real estate development, and urban design.

Our department hosts two research centers: the Metropolitan Research Center and the Ecological Planning Center. In addition,wWe are a founding member of a university-wide research and education consortium called the Global Change and Ecosystem Center, which sponsors graduate fellowships and education opportunities for students from the colleges of science, engineering, law, and social science. In conjunction with Portland State University, University of Oregon, and Oregon Tech, we also are founding members of the National Institute for Transportation and Communities, a US DOT-funded university transportation center. Altogether, our research centers conduct about $3 million in research per year, funding dozens of graduate research assistantships and fellowships.

Our student body consists of approximately 60 planning masters students, 30 real estate development students, and 20 Ph.D. students, making our student/teacher ratios one of the lowest in the country.

And we continue to grow. We are currently in the process of hiring an environmental economist and we hope to make future hires in ecological planning in coming years.

Our college contains undergraduate and graduate programs in architecture, historic preservation, and multi-disciplinary design, offering our planning students many opportunities for trans-disciplinary collaboration.

Then there's our setting. Salt Lake City is situated in a high-elevation valley at the edge of the Rocky Mountains and the Basin and Range. Our campus abuts National Forest land and one can walk from our building into federally protected wilderness. Yet, we are also very urban. The region's transit agency provides frequent light rail system to and through our campus, connecting to more than 150 miles of light, commuter, and streetcar rail throughout the metro area. Our transit agency is an international leader in planning, financing, and building transit facilities and services and transit-oriented development.

And did I mention skiing? The "worlds greatest snow" is at our doorstep, with world-class back-country and resort skiing 30 minutes from campus.

There are more things I could say, but I've probably already over-written my welcome.

If you want to find out more, write me!

Keith Bartholomew
    Associate Dean
    College of Architecture + Planning
    University of Utah
    bartholomew@arch.utah.edu

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Jul 2012, 12:06 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Nov 2008, 4:59 PM