Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2012: Parse the Results

Registered
    Aug 2001

Election 2012: Parse the Results

So it is all but over. The results are for the most part in even though a few states won't call some Senate and House races, and Florida can't get itself to turn on the blue switch. But it seems clear that 1) Barack Obama will continue to another four years as president with both thte popular and electoral majority; 2) Democrats look to pick up twoSenate seats; and 3) Democrats look to pick up at least a couple seats in the House. So how will the results get interpreted? A narrow win for Obama who brought along several other Democrats on his coattails? A repudiation of the Republican's right wing platform?

As for me, the telling thing is not the presidential race, but the Senate and especially the House. Remember that Republicans have had the opportunity to redraw House districts in many states (more than Democrats) and were therefore expected to have a much better chance to hold and gain seats.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Election 2012: Parse the Results
    A summation I saw this morning:

The world muddles onward.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Congratulations to the Democrats for running their campaign and getting people out to vote. Overall I am not surprised by the results and had predicted an Obama win. I am disappointing, but now we need to see of we can work together without making things worse for the American people.

I do compliment the President on inviting Romney to the WH for a meeting to discuss how they can incorporate some of his ideas, however I fear that it was some of Romney's ideas that I don't agree with.

Off-topic:
    I did not stay up for them to call it. Once Obama took PA, WI, MI, I realized that he was likely going to win.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    One result from last night that I'm still trying to figure out. Puerto Rico voted to become the 51st state, so I'm curious how all that will work out.

If Puerto Rico becomes the 51st state, that would certainly alter all the election math in subsequent elections.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    A repudiation of the Republican's right wing platform?
    This was the case in the Senate races, particularly with the tea party loons in IN and MO.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    No real change...no real mandates...still a split Congress...House majority leadership will continue the obstructionism in anticipation of 2014 & 2016 (if they get to '16).

Sorry for the cynicism, but I'll certainly concede it if I see some actual effort(s) at aisle crossing from the House majority leadership.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    One result from last night that I'm still trying to figure out. Puerto Rico voted to become the 51st state, so I'm curious how all that will work out.

If Puerto Rico becomes the 51st state, that would certainly alter all the election math in subsequent elections.
    I was not watching the PR vote closely but I was surprised by that outcome.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post

Meh. Non-binding resolution, and their new governor-elect favors the status quo.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Oct 2005
    At least two more years of the same is what got elected last night.

With Congress' disapproval rating so low it amazes me how many incumbents won last night, you'd think that disapproval rating would be expressed in the vote. I guess at the congressional district level you blame everyone else's congress person vs. your own.
    @GigCityPlanner

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post

With Congress' disapproval rating so low it amazes me how many incumbents won last night, you'd think that disapproval rating would be expressed in the vote. I guess at the congressional district level you blame everyone else's congress person vs. your own.
    I actually think that has more to do with districts having been gerrymandered to a point that they tend to protect incumbents, but I think your point is fair. Kind of like how a congressman in another district securing federal funds for a project important to his district is called "pork", but when it is your congressman it is suddenly "my representative secured federal grants to assist this project" and earns him reelection.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I think redistricting / gerrymandering is the issue here. There's so few competitive districts out there and even if you're in one, the incumbent has a significant fundraising advantage. It's looking like you need to be independently wealthy to even hope to unseat an incumbent in many districts.

I really think the House needs term limits since that's the only way to counteract the effects of partisan redistricting.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Maybe, but the teabaggers are chastened and I don't think Boehner is going to let their clown car in the garage in 2013. That will be a small step in the right direction. Rove will be diminished as well, so there is a small chance for change. I'm not betting on it, but still. We'll see what they do after the soul-searcing is over.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    A summation I saw this morning:
    Another one:

I do feel sorry for Obama with the mess his predecessor is leaving him.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The county I'm in supposedly had the highest percentage of voters for Jill Stein (Green) in the country - 2.1%. I think it's because a lot of locals identify with her. I wonder why ...

Gary Johnson (Libertarian) got about 1% in many western states. I'm not a Libertarian, but I think he deserved far better.

Marijuana legalized in Washington and Colorado. SSM upheld by popular vote in four states: absolutely groundbreaking. Puerto Rico referendum on statehood. It's going to be an interesting year.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2006
    The more we demand change, the more things stay the same.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Two states legalized marijuana for recreational use. Wow. That is huge.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Allen West is real classy. Claims the election was rigged against him and is demanding a recount despite the threshold not being close enough to warrant one.

I'm definitely happy to see Allen West go. That guy was the epitome of what is wrong with politics in America.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    November 7, 2012. The day newspapers became irrelevant.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Wow! Replacement windows installed for $189 with 0% financing until 2014. What a deal!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by shell_waster View post
    Wow! Replacement windows installed for $189 with 0% financing until 2014. What a deal!
    Off-topic:
    Man, I wish I could get deals like that! Maybe if I subscribed to the local newspaper I could find an ad or coupon like that!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I live & work in a very RED county. Lots of whining going on today.

"Country going to hell in a handbasket"
    "Can't beleive the rest of the country is so stupid"
    "We're really in for it now"
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:
    Man, I wish I could get deals like that! Maybe if I subscribed to the local newspaper I could find an ad or coupon like that!
    Off-topic:
    I thought about replacement window until I talked to the guys in the industry when they said that they would last 20 years. I guess they are called replacement windows because they need to be replaced so often. I will stick with my working 120 year old original windows and get or build good storms for them.

On topic, I find it interesting that my Republican friends are angry and think the election was rigged and that we are screwed, my democrat friends are happy because if the other guy got elected we would be screwed, and my Libertarian friends are indifferent because they know we are screwed either way.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Libertarian friends are indifferent because they know we are screwed either way.
    The smartest of the bunch. Romney wouldn't have done much that Obama won't try to do. The interesting part will be if Obama ends up like Bush or Clinton.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Honestly, with this economy, this should have been a slam dunk for the Republicans. The fact that it wasn't *should* really inspire some soul searching. I'm hopeful that some amount of across-the-aisle work can actually be done since Obama can't be reelected for a third term (so the Republicans can't make it their singular mission to block his every move, it would be inexcusable this time around).

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    The smartest of the bunch. Romney wouldn't have done much that Obama won't try to do. The interesting part will be if Obama ends up like Bush or Clinton.
    Clinton should become the figurative vice-president.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1724
    Last post: 12 Dec 2012, 9:27 AM
  2. Another election results thread...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 07 Nov 2004, 9:21 PM
  3. Australian election results
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0