Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I-96 shootings

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

I-96 shootings

LINK

There were 22 shootings from Oct. 16 through 18 along the freeway corridor in the four counties. Two more vehicles traveling east on I-96 in Livingston County were hit by gunfire Saturday.
    That is a very busy area. We just drove that stretch on Friday, than again on Sunday... but this is the first that I have heard of this. Any one in that area hear anything more about this?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    LINK

That is a very busy area. We just drove that stretch on Friday, than again on Sunday... but this is the first that I have heard of this. Any one in that area hear anything more about this?
    I avoid that area currently. Not because I am afraid of getting shot, but for other reasons.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

I-96 shootings, metro Detroit

LINK
    Lessee...it's been in the Grand Rapids Press along with all our west Michigan TV stations. I have heard coverage on the local NPR stations. (Those who plug into recorded music wouldn't be aware of this.)

On Saturday I drove that corridor, and noticed the choppers and slow-moving traffic. Figured there was aerial surveillance, not having heard about the most recent incidents. Drove home by a different route (I-94 to Jackson, then north on 127).

It's hard to believe that, with all the instantaneous media coverage, someone would not know about these incidents. The poor sod who got pulled over and arrested (he resembles the perp sketch) was blissfully unaware.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Lessee...it's been in the Grand Rapids Press along with all our west Michigan TV stations. I have heard coverage on the local NPR stations. (Those who plug into recorded music wouldn't be aware of this.)

On Saturday I drove that corridor, and noticed the choppers and slow-moving traffic. Figured there was aerial surveillance, not having heard about the most recent incidents. Drove home by a different route (I-94 to Jackson, then north on 127).

It's hard to believe that, with all the instantaneous media coverage, someone would not know about these incidents. The poor sod who got pulled over and arrested (he resembles the perp sketch) was blissfully unaware.
    That explains the helicopter near the US 23 and I-96 interchange at 6pm on Sunday. I am going back to visit friends in Ann Arbor this weekend. With as many people who drive that stretch every day, I don't plan to change my route.

As is in this case, if something big is going on, someone will tell me about it. Otherwise I have better things to do with my time than waste it on news that does not involve me.

Registered
    May 2004

I-96 shootings update

I found this to be interesting.

Despite reading two newspapers on-line every day, plus having the local NPR station on all day and while in the four-wheeler, I did not know that there were eight shootings in Meridian Twp (on the far east side of MSU). On Saturday I thought, "whew, I made it past Wixom."

It's interesting to think about how this shooter could be captured or decoyed. Many bicyclists now use traffic cameras attached to their helmets, and on YouTube there are examples of this tactic nailing violent perps.

ETA: "Any car or truck doing something out of the ordinary may now be stopped on I-96."

Thread-splitting this is fine with me.
    Moderator note:
    Maister: split from RTDNTOTO7 at users request
    Last edited by Maister; 31 Oct 2012 at 4:19 PM.

Registered
    May 2005
    My wife's hometown is along the corridor.

In fact, the guy who got shot on Saturday got off for help at the exit to her home town. We drove the corridor last Friday and last Sunday on our way to and from Grand Rapids.

I'm not that surprised he/she hasn't been caught, considering how far spread out the shootings have been. It's gonna take a screw up or loose lips.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I just read today (mlive) that only THREE of the shootings occured on I-96, the rest were along the corridor. One guy was shot taking his garbage out at his house. Up until today, the press made it seem that all shots fired were on the expressway at people driving on the expressway Also, they haven't said if the guy was shooting from a car, next to a car, no where near a car..... I think the lack of information thus far only amps up the fear factor of driving that corridor, but maybe the reports we get are waterdowned since it's not too close to us.

Registered
    May 2004

Marching band buses to vary routes to Ford Field in the D

Guess why this news caught my attention!

It seems there's a whole slew of HS bands participating in the state finals in Detroit. Being newsy news hounds, the local media referenced the school districts' discussions. (N.B. no one has released any info about what routes the individual schools, buses, drivers plan to use.)

Comment sections are blowing up with fearful band moms railing against the media. "You are endangering our children! These buses are sitting targets! You're giving ideas to the gunman!"

Into one such discussion I dropped this. So far no one has called me "stupid."
    In the target (sorry!) area, there are hundreds of schools using bus transportation. There are metroparks, jogging paths, shopping malls, strip malls, outlet malls, subdivisions, big box stores, drive-throughs. All of these generate lots of traffic all week, at most hours of the day.
    While it's prudent to avoid the I-96 corridor if possible, the gunman could well decide to take out travelers headed to a college football game. Should we send Nebraska home?

ETA: apparently this guy was DWM
    Last edited by Veloise; 01 Nov 2012 at 11:41 AM.

Registered
    May 2005
    They're now saying a semi-automatic pistol is the weapon of choice.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Wow... the guy who they caught who is being charged with the shootings looks a bit like our fearless leader.

Has anyone seen Dan in the past few days?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Wow... the guy who they caught who is being charged with the shootings looks a bit like our fearless leader.

Has anyone seen Dan in the past few days?
    OMG.... that pic looks a lot like Dan Tasman! I mean the t-shirt guy that lives in GR, not our Dan
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Wow! The resemblance is uncanny. Apparently the guy studied environmental science at MSU. That's a possible planner-type education. Where did Dan go to college?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Can we get a picture of Dan with a hat on. I know there is one someplace in the gallery but I can not find it...

Registered
    May 2004

"Victory for M-S-U!"

From the Freep:
    One witness remembered key details about the black, four-door car spotted during the crimes: a state-issued Michigan State University license plate with a green S on the left, surrounded by an MSU alumni license plate frame, according to state police investigators.
    This strikes me as amusing.

(MSU '78, bachelor of science in urban planning)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Virginia Tech Shootings
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 77
    Last post: 20 Apr 2007, 10:32 PM
  2. Recent Spike in School Shootings
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Oct 2006, 9:06 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last post: 05 Sep 2006, 11:50 AM