Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did you split your ticket?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Did you split your ticket?

At the top of the ballot, at least in MI, it lets you just vote for a party instead of having to go through and vote for each person in that part. Personally I think that is stupid because the person is not the party and you elect the person. But then again, I wonder how many people actually look up info on a candidate before they vote for the letter next to their name.

I personally split my ticket voting for a range of R’s, D’s, and L’s. I know a couple of Democrats, including a county commissioner, who I much rather see in office than the Republican who was running.

Did you split your ticket or just vote for the party?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Impossible to vote party in my district when there were literally no Democrats running. Republicans, Libertarians, and Constitution Party were all running for the local and state level stuff as well as the House. Fortunately the state is a battleground so those Senate and Presidential votes matter.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I split my ticket at the local level.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Can't vote straight party in Georgia. My votes were a mix of Rs and Ls, with one D, and a bunch of abstentions.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I split my ticket below the Pres/Governor race. Split it for county commissioner (pick 3 or 6) same thing for school board. I'm usually an anti-incumbent voter but at the local level I like to read the answers they give to the newspaper's questions.

I am amazed how many people vote straight ticket. In my county, which cast just over 100k votes, Romney carried 52% to 48%. Straight tickets made up over 60% of the 100k votes cast, surprisingly more democrats voted straight ticket than republicans 52% to 46% (Libs 2%).
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am willing to split my ticket and in the past have done so. This time around I voted straight Democrat down the line. There have been times in the past where the opposite is true. Unfortunately I feel that the Republicans have changed so much that I have a hard time supportng any of them. I am essentially a centrist, fiscally leaning conservative and socially leaning liberal, and in the balance, Democrats now come closer to my views.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Split the ticket. I always do. I hate the two party system.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I've never voted straight ticket. If there's a race without someone from "my" party, then you end up not voting in that race. I agree with m'skis that you vote the person not the party, so it's very hard for me to mark one box and declare myself done.

I've split my ticket at the state and local level, but not at the national level.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Straight ticket voting needs to be abolished, IMHO.

I never use straight ticket, but this cycle I voted democrat on every individual race. Many of the GOP nominees are tea partiers, and I simply cannot support that kind of extremism.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Since I live in the town I work for, I vote for the state rep/senator who is going to take my call when I am submitting a grant, need help on a DEP or DOT issue, etc., and not necessarily for their policies, voting from a staff perspective in a way - so yeah, I split my vote...

I even got to vote Independnet and he won! woo hoo

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Straight ticket voting needs to be abolished, IMHO.
    And that we can agree on 100%
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I normally end up splitting, but not this year. The Repubs have lost their way so they got zero votes from me this year. Hopefully they will have a come to Jesus moment - not the Fundie money-changer Jesus, but the tolerant, peaceful guy long forgotten.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Split. Solid Ds, except for a judicial candidate.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    And that we can agree on 100%
    But what would all the uneducated voters do then?
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Voted for mostly one party but voted for the other party for a few local and state races.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I split my ticket.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I am willing to split my ticket and in the past have done so. This time around I voted straight Democrat down the line. There have been times in the past where the opposite is true. Unfortunately I feel that the Republicans have changed so much that I have a hard time supportng any of them. I am essentially a centrist, fiscally leaning conservative and socially leaning liberal, and in the balance, Democrats now come closer to my views.
    That's my position, too. In local elections, I vote whomever regardless of party. However, in state and national elections, I vote Democratic. I cannot vote for people who tacitly endorse bigotry.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Split the ticket. I always do. I hate the two party system.
    Damn, we actually agree on something.

I think straight party voting should be illegal. You need to vote for the person, not the party.

IN NC you can vote straight party for everything except the President. The lady at the polling site told me this at least 4 times and each time I responded "I never vote a straight ticket. I don't beleive it should be allowed" and she looked at me with a very puzzled expresion.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Split. Solid Ds, except for a judicial candidate.
    That hardly counts as splitting a ticket. That's like saying you had vegetables with your dinner by counting the lettuce on your hamburger.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Split voter.

Agree with what been said about straight party voting.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    I split my ticket throughout various 3rd party candidates, except for one local election where it was just R vs D for sheriff and I voted for the person who wasn't the incumbent.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I have in the past, but it has been a long, long time since I have been able to support any candidate from the Other Party.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    That hardly counts as splitting a ticket. That's like saying you had vegetables with your dinner by counting the lettuce on your hamburger.
    a contender for post of the day...

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Split my votes, particularly on local level, also abstained on a few where there was only one candidate.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

I have never cast a straight line ballot and never will. I will also never vote in an uncontested race.

That said, I came as close as I ever have yesterday to voting a straight party line. Until local Republicans hew back to the middle, it will likely stay that way, too.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. movie theatres and ticket prices
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 May 2012, 7:41 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Apr 2012, 12:43 PM