Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Did you split your ticket?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Straight ticket voting needs to be abolished, IMHO
    They did that in my state for the first time this year. I think its good. I also voted entirely for Democrats, but I read through and made that decision for each candidate, not just as a blind vote. And that is what everyone should do. I have voted for Republicans at the local level before (never for President - mainly for judges) but not this round. I just couldn't get behind any of them.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    But what would all the uneducated voters do then?
    Same thing that they do now for non partisan votes... Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

I also wonder how things would be different if they took the R, D, I, L, or other party affiliation away from a persons name. WOW, uneducated people would flip out.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I consider myself a pretty informed voter as I do research on every candidate on my ballot including school board and university regents. That being said, I voted straight ticket this year. Last time around, I did my research and filled in each individual circle. When I was done, I looked over my ballot and saw that I had picked the same party for each position. I realized I could have voted straight ticket and filled in one circle and saved myself a couple of minutes. Yes, those couple of minutes are that valuable to me that after doing my research, I voted for the party this year. I have split the ticket before and would do so again if there were a candidate that I agreed with on the other side ever again.

I don't think eliminating the straight ticket option would really encourage anybody to do anymore research before heading into the booth. Either you are the type of person to do the research or you are not.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

In my county, 41.9% of all ballots cast were straight party: 52% of all Rs, 46.75% of all Ds, and 1.25% Libs. Stupid, stupid, and stupid.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I've split my ticket in years past but not this year. But if you count the Governator as a Democrat then some years were a straight ticket.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    split my ticket. For all major offices i voted democrat. Locally I voted republican, as well as for our local assemblyman whom is an R, but I have met at a few chamber events. He is a good guy and we spoke briefly on some state level planning issues and funding for redevelopment. Based on that one on one engagement, I voted for him.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Straight ticket voting needs to be abolished, IMHO.
    It was in NH several years ago.

I split my ticket (as I always do)...only 2 that I voted for (in either party) lost yesterday.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

Did you split your ticket or just vote for the party?
    I am not registered with any party. I really wanted to vote for Gary Johnson but at the last minute I ended up voting for Obama. As far as the rest of my ballot, as much as I like some of the fiscal positions of some republicans, every single one on my ballot was vocal in opposition to gay marriage and gays in the military. I just can't vote for hate. So I ended up voting straight democrat- which I think is a first for me. I am not a fan of democrats in general.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Split ticket for me as well and I do not vote in uncontested races. I also think the party affiliation and incumbency needs to be removed from a ballot and I believe it is ridiculous that local elections require a party affiliation. Although in Georgia we had two state constitutional amendments I do not view them as groundbreaking; the first was regarding charter schools and the other multi-year leases for state property/offices.

Registered
    May 2005
    While most of my votes were for Democratic candidates, I did vote for a few GOPers - One local elected and our Congressional Rep.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I usually split mine, but this time after looking it over, all the folks I wanted to vote for were D's so I filled one oval rather than several. Typically I'll vote for Grassley (R) when he is running because I feel it is important to the state to keep the committee positions. Besides, when you talk to him he is like a nice grandpa, how could you not vote for grandpa?
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2003
    As a side note, for situations where you did not know anything about a group of candidates, did you choose them based on their party affiliation? Did you vote for the person or did you vote for the party?

For example, many judges don't list party affiliation next to their name on the ballot. Who get's your vote?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    For example, many judges don't list party affiliation next to their name on the ballot. Who get's your vote?
    My situation is probably a bit different from most folks as I tend to hear more about the various judicial candidates' shenanigans on and off the bench, thanks to Mrs. Maister. But absent any input from her, I find that certain groups (almost exclusively conservative groups) bombard you with literature about how you should vote for so and so for judge because they either 'respect life' or 'protect families'. These are of course code words for that individual's willingness to deny women's rights for an abortion or willingness to discriminate against homosexuals other minority. I'm usually glad to get this kind of literature because it lets me know who not to vote for even though they've advertised no official party affiliation.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Yes, I split my ticket. It's meaningless whether someone running for state supreme court is a Republican or a Democrat or a Klingon, for all I care. Are they qualified to serve as a judge? That's more important.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    It's meaningless whether someone running for state supreme court is a Republican or a Democrat or a Klingon, for all I care. Are they qualified to serve as a judge? That's more important.
    No kidding. A guy I went to college with was elected probate court judge a couple of counties to the east of me. I'm happy for him, and I think he will do a good job, but it does beg the question - why on earth is probate court judge a partisan position?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    In Michigan, the Supreme Court judges are initially nominated by the party officials so besides looking at their basic bios, campaign statements, and articles that may be written about them, I also check to see which party nominates them.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    In Michigan, the Supreme Court judges are initially nominated by the party officials so besides looking at their basic bios, campaign statements, and articles that may be written about them, I also check to see which party nominates them.
    I wonder what the less informed do.

Personally, I am all for removing any party affiliation from the ballot. Make people read the bio's before they vote.

Registered
    May 2005
    As a side note, for situations where you did not know anything about a group of candidates, did you choose them based on their party affiliation? Did you vote for the person or did you vote for the party?

I don't vote on a topic if I'm not informed. This year, I did't vote for any of the judges.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. movie theatres and ticket prices
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 May 2012, 8:41 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Apr 2012, 1:43 PM
  3. The Sports Ticket Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28