Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Medical marijuana

Registered
    Feb 2004

Medical marijuana

What do you think about legalizing marijuana (ostensibly) for medical purposes? Also, do you think hemp should be legalized because it is a useful fiber?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What do you think about legalizing marijuana (ostensibly) for medical purposes? Also, do you think hemp should be legalized because it is a useful fiber?
    It should be legalized period, medicinal or otherwise.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm in favor of full legalization and simply treating it like alcohol. I would not use, but I think it is time for this course correction in our drug policy. I think it would have significant positive effects on drug trafficking and actually help better stabilize northern Mexico, which has been plagued with cartel violence.

Also, it will allow me to begin investing heavily in Frito-Lay and Taco Bell stock.

Hemp is truly a no-brainer. It is actually better adapted to be grown in a number of climates with more ease/success than cotton.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Marijuana: should be legalized, regulated and taxed in a manner similar to tobacco or alcohol.

Hemp: I think the "miracle fiber" claims are overrated, but it gives farmers another crop to add to their rotation.

The narcotic that is truly at the root of the nation's drug crisis ... it's not marijuana. It's goofballs.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    It should be legalized period, medicinal or otherwise.
    I agree. Numerous studies have shown that legalizing and taxing marijuana, as we do alcohol and tobacco, would provide states with a strong revenue stream. It is no more harmful than alcohol. It would relieve an overburdened court system from prosecuting increasingly unpopular laws. And it makes people feel better and relieves stress.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We already have one mind altering drug readily available - alcohol, that extracts terrific costs to our society. Do we want another such substance readily available?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    We already have one mind altering drug readily available - alcohol, that extracts terrific costs to our society. Do we want another such substance readily available?
    Some would argue that it is already readily available. Besides, you can grow it yourself.

Prescription drug abuse is a much more serious problem.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I think it's pretty much in the same class as alcohol. If marijuana is legalized, I was to see standards set for what constitutes impairment, just like it is with alcohol. I also want smoking it in public limited just like tobacco. Hemp is just a fiber, some of it makes good rope, some of it makes good dope.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    I tend to agree with btrage. The American public has made it clear that they are very interested in MJ's use. Like alcohol, it has very widespread use and attempts to curtail it through legal means has been marginal at best. This may be one of those issues where government needs to consider people's actual behavior instead of the desired behavior and accommodate that in the law. Its a terrific opportunity to bolster tax revenue and bringing its economy into the light could reduce a lot of crime that currently surrounds it as a black market good. Is it destructive?, perhaps not for everyone (like alcohol) but yes, people who are prone to substance abuse will find themselves in trouble. But these people may have sought it out anyway and use and treatment would likely be more open and easy to access if legal.

At the same time, I am not sure where I draw the line. If prescription drug use was as widespread, would I also think it should be legalized because its "what the people want"? I'm not sure. That seems a lot more harmful and dangerous to me. So, when I drill down to the details, its hard for me to come up with consistent criteria I would use to decide what should be legal (or "tolerated" as they do in Holland) and what should not.

An interesting twist on the Med MJ issue is an article I saw a few months ago in my fair state (which does have a medical program, though its very low key and no dispensaries). Apparently, researchers have been perfecting a strain that contains all the medicinal properties but without the THC (the part recreational users desire). Would current support of MJ be the same without its intoxicating effects? In many ways, I do feel a lot of supporters (particularly those who do not have medical conditions) see it as a step toward decriminalization and more open recreational use.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that the Federal Government should eliminate all regulatory control on it, and let each state decide. Personally, I think the states should legalize it, treat it the same as Alcohol or Tobacco, and tax the hell out of it… at the state level.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Peyton Manning just bought several PapaJohn Pizza franchises in the Denver area. Now Colorado has legalized MJ. Man Peyton is smart and is gonna rack in on the munchie fixes in the community!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Hemp: I think the "miracle fiber" claims are overrated, but it gives farmers another crop to add to their rotation.
    ]
    WR Hearst thought it was a big enough threat to his fiber plantations to demonize it. Nevertheless, if it replaces even 1/4 of the acreage in cotton - especially in CA - we are already much, much better off. Not the chemical companies better off, but everyone else. And that is a good thing.
    Last edited by ColoGI; 07 Nov 2012 at 11:58 AM.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    No, we don't. It is one thing to decriminalize MJ (which I support), but allowing full-blown commercial sale of it is the wrong path to take IMO. We don't need another vice industry like alcohol and tobacco that markets to teens. Big tobacco already has its sights set on MJ, and frankly, it's too lucrative of a business to keep them out of it. Why can't the government just decriminalize it and allow people to grow their own product? Why does it have to get in the business of trying to regulate and tax it?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Why can't the government just decriminalize it and allow people to grow their own product? Why does it have to get in the business of trying to regulate and tax it?
    Decriminalization is another route to take. As far as Big Business taking it over and the government taxing it, I think an argument can be made similar to home-brewing. People currently avoid commerically produced alcohol and paying taxes on it by making their own beer, wine and mead. Marijuana can be easily grown for personal consumption, thus avoiding both Big Business and taxation. But there will also be a market for people who don't want to grow their own. Particularly those who want to smoke bud but don't want plants growing in their homes where their kids can get hold of them.

Were it legal or decrimnalized, it would be very easy for a person to grow enough pot for his or her personal consumption in a closet or in the basement of the house. And avoid Big Business and taxation.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    What terrific costs to society do marijuana cause?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Well, for starters, those Harold and Kumar movies are pretty annoying....does that count?

Seriously, I'm undecided on the recreational side. I assume it would be given an age limit like tobacco or alcohol and there would be potential criminal uses of it just like there are still today (dui, etc.)

However, I do think it should be made available as medicine. As a likely future sufferer of Parkinson's I'm going to want it to deal with pain and with nausea from other medications. My father is suffering with Parkinson's and cancer right now and he could use it. It would add to the quality of his life.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Right now the societal costs of MJ are somewhat blunted (hee hee) due to its illegal status and includes costs associated with law enforcement, courts, and incarceration costs. The question we should be asking is what terrific costs to society would MJ have if it were provided a legal status comparable to alcohol. Alcohol's costs are pretty well documented and include things like decreased work productivity, increased health care costs, traffic mortality rates, addiction and the various social costs traditionally associated with addictions (e.g. spouse abuse, child abuse, poverty, and family/marital problems). I leave the question open to others as to whether they believe MJ would necessarily result in the same or similar problems that alcohol causes.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    But there will also be a market for people who don't want to grow their own. Particularly those who want to smoke bud but don't want plants growing in their homes where their kids can get hold of them.
    I agree. Not everyone can keep plants alive ( a walk around my neighborhood - any neighborhood - and look at the cr@ptacular landscaping proves that ), and those that can may have kids.

I don't know how I feel about regulating MJ in the marketplace to keep from peddling to kids - we do a horrible job at this already with BudLight Lime gets you poularrrrr with teh hotties!!! and Joe Camel and the like. Corporations will buy off politicians to make money.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Addiction/abuse and all its consequences.

Registered
    May 2004
    Addiction/abuse and all its consequences.
    What consequences?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What consequences?
    Use your imagination.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Use your imagination.
    MJ is addictive and causes societal consequences? I can't imagine. Is that what the literature says?
    -------

Registered
    May 2004
    Use your imagination.
    Flesh-eating zombies?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What consequences?

I suppose you think sin, degradation, vice, and insanity are things we should welcome in our society?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I've seen many of fights when alcohol is involved (drunk people). I have never seen a fight when MJ is involved (stoned people).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 48
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 1:15 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 13 Nov 2012, 1:23 PM
  3. Disclosing medical problems
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 05 Feb 2007, 11:08 PM
  4. Medical zoning