Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Whats a good, cheaper high mileage car?

Registered
    Feb 2006

Whats a good, cheaper high mileage car?

I was thinking a Toyota Corolla. Can anyone recommend any other models to me based on their experience? Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post
    I was thinking a Toyota Corolla. Can anyone recommend any other models to me based on their experience? Thanks.
    Civics last forever.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "cheap".

We are on the market for a new car that also fits that description.

This weekend I am looking at:

(1) Chevy Spark - Starts at $13,900 and gets 40mpg
    (2) Scion iQ - Starts at $16,000 and gets 37mpg
    (3) Dodge Dart - Starts at $15,900 and gets 41mpg
    (4) Smart Car - Starts at $12,9000 and gets 38mpg

They are all pretty small, but I don't mind compact cars, especially for the price and mileage.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I've got a good, cheap 2001 Oldsmobile Alero with high miles for sale.

Wrong type of "high mileage"?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Yeah, I have an Escape now, which was a mistake in retrospect. I wanted something for winter weather, but when you look at it objectively there are really not that many days a year where that matters. The V6 gas hog is not worth it. Besides, I am looking for a job and may have to commute some.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    High gas mileage, or high mileage; a car that may be dependable at 100K?

I love Subarus, but be wary of high mileage models (90K+) unless you have proof the head gaskets were replaced. If the engine has new gaskets, no problem. Be wary of WRXs, because most have been pushed hard.

If you don't want or need full time 4WD, consider another brand; fuel economy in older models isn't as high as you might expect with a car its size.

If you're looking at mileage, check out a Mazda with a Skyactiv engine.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My 2002 Civic has 230k and is still going strong. We are looking to replace it next year. I currently get 33+ MPG on highway and city driving. I think it depends on what you need out of the car. My civic has difficulty fitting the needed 3 car seats for the small fries... so I will be looking at a mid-sized car. If you are looking for very small, and don't need leg room/kid seat room, I think TS's list is pretty good.

Honda Accord or Ford Fusion Hybrid or a Prius are probably what I am looking at.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    A Honda Civic. They last and last and last. I've had two with very high mileage (200K+) and they were pretty easy to maintain, repairs costs weren't awful either.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Mazda3 or Mazda CX-5 with the Skyactiv motor. Dead reliable, drives like a go-kart, 40 MPG highway. Makes the Corolla look like a washing machine on wheels. They also have 0% financing available for them, at least around here.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    My 2002 Civic has 230k and is still going strong. We are looking to replace it next year. I currently get 33+ MPG on highway and city driving. I think it depends on what you need out of the car. My civic has difficulty fitting the needed 3 car seats for the small fries... so I will be looking at a mid-sized car. If you are looking for very small, and don't need leg room/kid seat room, I think TS's list is pretty good.

Honda Accord or Ford Fusion Hybrid or a Prius are probably what I am looking at.
    Off-topic:
    Is it me or are the car seats getting bigger and bigger?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post
    What is your criterion? Do you need space for 4? Do you prefer a coupe, sedan, or hatch? Are you looking for something new? Price? Features?

Take it for what you will, but I’m not a fan of newer Toyotas. I prefer Honda’s (I had a 03 RSX in college that I pushed almost to 200,000 miles even with track and autocross days), though I find newer Honda’s a bit blah compared to their competition.

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "cheap".

We are on the market for a new car that also fits that description.

This weekend I am looking at:

(1) Chevy Spark - Starts at $13,900 and gets 40mpg
    (2) Scion iQ - Starts at $16,000 and gets 37mpg
    (3) Dodge Dart - Starts at $15,900 and gets 41mpg
    (4) Smart Car - Starts at $12,9000 and gets 38mpg

They are all pretty small, but I don't mind compact cars, especially for the price and mileage.
    1,2, and 4 are subcompacts, and 3 is a compact car. Depending on what you're looking at, you can also add B-segment cars as well (like the Chevy Sonic and Ford Fiesta). The small car industry has really boomed, and there are some great cars available.

That said, I drove a Smart ForTwo in Germany and thought that the car was dreadful.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    Mazda3 or Mazda CX-5 with the Skyactiv motor. Dead reliable, drives like a go-kart, 40 MPG highway. Makes the Corolla look like a washing machine on wheels. They also have 0% financing available for them, at least around here.
    The first brand-new car I ever had was a 2007 Mazda 3. It got phenomenal mileage (at least for what I was used to). I only had it for about a year because it got totaled in a parking lot and I moved back to a Jeep. If I were searching for a small car, that would definitely be back on my list.

I just pulled up my spreadsheet and for the 14 months that I had the Mazda 3, I averaged 30.185 miles per gallon. That was with averaged across both highway and city driving, but with more city than highway (I drove it once from Detroit to Grand Rapids and once from Detroit to the Traverse City area and I think those were the only two trips in which I took it more than 150 miles). I did manage to put 24,000 miles on it during that time though with many trips back and from the northern Detroit suburbs to downtown while I was in grad school and quite a few trips out to Ann Arbor and East Lansing. The car never gave me a single problem, was pretty good in snow and ice for a FWD car, and was very comfortable.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Don't get a Mini, 500, or SMART car. You will be laughed at and ridiculed.

Even people driving Mazda 3's and Yugos will laugh.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I love Subarus, but be wary of high mileage models (90K+) unless you have proof the head gaskets were replaced. If the engine has new gaskets, no problem. Be wary of WRXs, because most have been pushed hard. If you don't want or need full time 4WD, consider another brand; fuel economy in older models isn't as high as you might expect with a car its size.
    A subaru with 100,000 miles on it should have the timing belt and head gaskets replaced. This will run you $1200-2000 depending on how expensive your mechanic is. Many people want to sell them without this work being done, but still at full Kelly Blue Book value. A Subaru is going to be more expansive than many other cars with similar milage because of the all-wheel drive and because they are known to be dependable. My 2004 has 210,000 miles on it and I plan to keep it for many years. Another tip would be to avoid the first year or two of each model, as they work out the bugs. This is true for any car.

Toyotas are also a good bet. I believe you are from Iowa, though. The appropriate car would be a Dodge 3500 with the Cummins deisel, or perhaps a Ford 350.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I drive a 2005 Mazda 3 with 120,000. Extremely reliable. Had it for 5 years next month. Repairs are getting to be a little more costly now but I am still on my original engine and transmission. Fortunately I live only 3 miles from my full time job (and a new gym opened up halfway). Looking to replace it sometime next year. Saving for a down payment on another Mazda 3
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm married to a former auto technician. He'll tell you a Subaru. They last a long time.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Whats on your keychain?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 06 Mar 2012, 2:30 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Jun 2007, 12:56 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 29 May 2007, 4:06 PM
  4. Whats that??????
    Friday Afternoon Club