Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's a good cheap booze to get drunk on?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I know when I think of whiskey, I think of Sierra Leone and India.

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Two Buck Chuck is not palatable so does not qualify.
    When I can get my hands on it, I'll drink it for the novelty.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I know when I think of whiskey, I think of Sierra Leone and India.

When I can get my hands on it, I'll drink it for the novelty.
    I have been known to turn a Franza into a Capri sun...but that was back in college.

If I ever wind up in your neck of the woods I will bring you a bottle.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    In all seriousness, Black Box wines are fairly decent. Yeah, it's a Constellation Brands wine, sold in a 3 liter boxes, but really ... it's not bad.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    It must be both palatable and affordable.

At the risk of sounding like a beer snob, Yuengling is about as low as I'll go nowadays.

A lot of my friends aren't as *ahem* enlightened, and they still think Bud Light and Miller Light are good beer choices. Bud, Miller, and the like are only good after I've had about 5 or 6 drinks already and I no longer care about taste.

As far as liquor is concerned.............hmmm. Not sure. I actually don't drink very much liquor. Drank plenty of it in college. I am not averse to it, it's just that I truly enjoy a good beer and I guess I have to be in a certain mood for liquor, even a mixed drink. Eight or nine times out of ten, I just go for the beer.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Jazzman View post
    At the risk of sounding like a beer snob, Yuengling is about as low as I'll go nowadays.

A lot of my friends aren't as *ahem* enlightened, and they still think Bud Light and Miller Light are good beer choices. Bud, Miller, and the like are only good after I've had about 5 or 6 drinks already and I no longer care about taste.
    There's the kind of foodies that love good food in all of its forms, and those who have rarefied tastes, who turn their noses up at anything that's a chain, or which isn't artisanel or organic. "Oh, just the thought of stepping foot into an Olive Garden gives me the dry heaves." Come on. Those kinds off foodies are going to have an awfully hard time if they're on a cross-country road trip, they leave the Interstate to satisfy their hunger pangs, and all they find are chains and strip plaza Chinese.

I'm a beer snob, but sometimes I just want something easy, and for that, a Yuengling, Rolling Rock, Genny, or Bud fits the bill. Yes, there's bad beer. However, some American light lagers can be enjoyable under the right circumstances; hot weather, after mowing the lawn or another physically strenuous activity. Budweiser isn't necessarily bad beer; it's just simple and uncomplicated.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    There's the kind of foodies that love good food in all of its forms, and those who have rarefied tastes, who turn their noses up at anything that's a chain, or which isn't artisanel or organic. "Oh, just the thought of stepping foot into an Olive Garden gives me the dry heaves." Come on. Those kinds off foodies are going to have an awfully hard time if they're on a cross-country road trip, they leave the Interstate to satisfy their hunger pangs, and all they find are chains and strip plaza Chinese.
    I always assumed that kinda talk is intended as hyperbole.

If one's intent is simply to get drunk, then one should have the aim to do it as painlessly and inexpensively as possible. To that end, the best suggestion I've heard so far is Mickey's Big Mouth; one may have to muscle their way past the bad taste a little bit, but not too much as these things go.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2006
    If you really want to go DIY then brew up some Pruno. Its a favorite of those serving time in some of America's finest establishments and can be created with sugar, fruit juice, bread and a zip lock bag. Just make sure to hide it well so the warden does not find it.

It cannot be any worse than Two Buck Chuck.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    If you really want to go DIY then brew up some Pruno. Its a favorite of those serving time in some of America's finest establishments and can be created with sugar, fruit juice, bread and a zip lock bag. Just make sure to hide it well so the warden does not find it.

It cannot be any worse than Two Buck Chuck.
    Dude, what is your issue with Charles Shaw ? Just because the bottle is more valuable than the contents doesn't make it unapproachable. Anything in a pinch, I say.

And people accuse me of being a snob...

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Dude, what is your issue with Charles Shaw ? Just because the bottle is more valuable than the contents doesn't make it unapproachable. Anything in a pinch, I say.

And people accuse me of being a snob...
    For an extra $2 you can get Yellow Tail or another down market Aussie wine. Charles Shaw is the malt liquor of the wine world but less drinkable.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Get your girl in the mood quicker Get your jimmy thicker. They couldn't say it if it wasn't true.

Best in our class for over 30 years.

It's gonna' be a good night.

Don't let the smooth taste fool 'ya.

No one does it like the Bull.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My dad used to get rip roaring drunk on this wine called Fortissimo, but he would call it Dago Red. I have no idea if it was cheap, but if coming in 2 gallon bottles with a screw top is any indication, I bet it was.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

I'm a beer snob, but sometimes I just want something easy, and for that, a Yuengling, Rolling Rock, Genny, or Bud fits the bill. Yes, there's bad beer. However, some American light lagers can be enjoyable under the right circumstances; hot weather, after mowing the lawn or another physically strenuous activity. Budweiser isn't necessarily bad beer; it's just simple and uncomplicated.

Oh yeah, and I'm not totally averse to something cheap. It's just that I enjoy beer for the taste as much as I enjoy the buzz itself, and after drinking double IPAs every weekend for a few years, well the Buds and Millers of the world taste watered down. Trust me, if I'm at a barbecue I won't turn down Bud Light. But if I'm buying beer for myself at a bar, I'll go for something a little more high octane

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    At the neighborhood liquor store. Would RJ approve?

You know you're in Upstate New York when ...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I just noticed - that "whisky" has an expiration date.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I just noticed - that "whisky" has an expiration date.
    Better get to drinking, you only have a few weeks left so you don't have to dump that $5.99 investment down the drain.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I have to agree with Jazzman. I have mentioned it before and I will mention it again. One of the risks of Yooper Bars, is there is a chance that your beer selections might be Bud, Bud light, Miller, Miller light.

Sam Adams, Guinness, and local micro-brews are all I ever buy anymore. When I am in the mood for something stronger, I reach for the bottle of Jameson. Otherwise I drink water.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Maister,
    Looks more like antifreeze or gasoline additive than whiskey.

OT: My dad told a story about a wino who appeared at the door of his frat house. The fellow was an alumni and a former member of the fraternity. They let him crash for the night. He drank a bottle of aftershave (Aquavelva, I believed) that someone left in the bathroom and died of alcohol poisoning. You would think in a frat house he could have found something else to drink than wood alcohol.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Looks more like antifreeze or gasoline additive than whiskey.
    And the quick-and-dirty antidote for drinking antifreeze is ... equal amounts of whiskey. I recommend Black Booster, a premium Sierra Leonian whiskey.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    You can never go wrong with PBR. It MUST be good. It won a Blue Ribbon!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Celebration Booze
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Nov 2012, 11:29 AM
  2. Good Cheap Wine
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 10 Nov 2012, 7:00 PM