Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: My name is xxxx: millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht

Registered
    Dec 2008

My name is xxxx: millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht

I have decided to become enormously wealthy! I think it's a good idea. Pretty sure buckets of money will make things really easy and nice. I also intend to never ever under any circumstances run for office of any kind, further adding to the easy life the excessive money will provide me.

Pretty sure this is a fool-proof plan for total happiness. Yep.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I have decided to become enormously wealthy! I think it's a good idea. Pretty sure buckets of money will make things really easy and nice. I also intend to never ever under any circumstances run for office of any kind, further adding to the easy life the excessive money will provide me.

That sounds like a great plan. Mind if I copy it?
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Mar 2007

Poor people are poor because they don't re-invest their dividends!

"Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

my next career is a wealthy philanthropist - i would be awesome

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Movies aren't going to made with film anymore, and our local historic theater is trying to raise the $40,000 needed to buy the required digital projection equipment and a new screen. So far the community has pitched in over $13,000. I doubt they will make the $40,000 and it is likely the theater will close. Then all we'll have is the sterile 6-screen multi-plex with endless bash 'em up movies.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The path to becoming wealthy is really quit simple:
    step 1. obtain a large amount of cash. At least a few million dollars
    step 2. invest it wisely
    step 3 live on the dividends, baby!
    Moderator note:
    accidently split from RTDNTOTO7

oh, and for those too young to catch the olde pop culture reference in the title:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc9...llionaire_news
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I thought about being a philanthropist after I win the lottery but then I thought "Why should I give away the money I worked so hard for?"
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    The path to becoming wealthy is really quit simple:
    step 1. obtain a large amount of cash. At least a few million dollars
    step 2. invest it wisely
    step 3 live on the dividends, baby!
    Yup.

People should just live off their interest like I do

If I ever won a big lotto, I would split the interest between play money and development projects I thought would benefit my community (like nice parks, etc).
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My wife's father has a friend who lives near us who officially lists her job as "philanthropist". She's about 80 and was the daughter of of the founder of the company my FIL worked for. When the old man died, I guess he left the company to her and her brother. She had no desire to have anything to do with the company so she sold her share to her brother and some other investors and decided to slowly give away the rest. It must be a rough life. (I only know she lists her job as "philanthropist because I had to sort through some political donation lists recently and saw her on there and they require you to list your occupation)
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    my next career is a wealthy philanthropist - i would be awesome
    Good thought. I'm going to start early with my children so that they can be the good kind of "trust-fund babies" like you're describing and not the whiny, spoiled, irritating kind who go on reality t.v.

I - however - plan on propping up small, worthy governments and buying back a lot of things that have recently been purchased by Disney...not to DO anything with them though...just to have them. I want to OWN Marvel and not do anything with it. Then I'll watch the fanboys tear their eyebrows out while I sit on the movie rights to weird characters. I think that's a noble and amusing use of ridiculous wealth. Kind-of-philanthropy? You be the judge.....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Good thought. I'm going to start early with my children so that they can be the good kind of "trust-fund babies" like you're describing and not the whiny, spoiled, irritating kind who go on reality t.v.

I - however - plan on propping up small, worthy governments and buying back a lot of things that have recently been purchased by Disney...not to DO anything with them though...just to have them. I want to OWN Marvel and not do anything with it. Then I'll watch the fanboys tear their eyebrows out while I sit on the movie rights to weird characters. I think that's a noble and amusing use of ridiculous wealth. Kind-of-philanthropy? You be the judge.....
    Big time Louis CK flashes here. Makes me think of his stand up material on what he would do if he had as much money as Bill Gates. I won't post any links as they're almost certainly not SFW, but you all owe it to yourselves to search on youtube for 'louis ck rich people'. His idea about keeping a chain of pet supply stores open with obnoxious employees, and million dollar bags of dog food is comic gold.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wealthy... Dang, I wish I had thought of that years ago. Do you mind if I copy your idea?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's not the money that matters, rather, it's all the stuff!!!
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2004
    I voted. Where is my free stuff already!!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Its awfully hard to grow your money by dividends alone these days kids. You will need to supplement those with savings or a nice fat lotto check!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 17 Mar 2005, 1:02 PM
  2. Mega-mansion being torn down
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Oct 2004, 9:59 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last post: 14 Sep 2004, 4:13 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 13 Nov 2003, 8:04 AM