Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Yucky medicine

Registered
    Feb 2004

Yucky medicine

What is the worst medication you've ever had to take? "Worst" can mean many things: bad tasting, debilitating side effects, frequency/dosage/timing inconveniences (e.g. like take every 3 hours even when it means waking up throughout the night). It might even mean least efficacious and you ended up taking something you didn't need.

Anecdote: my wife's grandfather was in a nursing home and one time when we visited the pill cart stopped by and unloaded a small bucket of meds on him. When we asked the nurse what they were for she refused to tell us. Long story short: we ended up rattling some cages and found out later he was being given pills for things that he had no need for whatsoever!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What is the worst medication you've ever had to take? "Worst" can mean many things: bad tasting, debilitating side effects, frequency/dosage/timing inconveniences (e.g. like take every 3 hours even when it means waking up throughout the night). It might even mean least efficacious and you ended up taking something you didn't need.

Anecdote: my wife's grandfather was in a nursing home and one time when we visited the pill cart stopped by and unloaded a small bucket of meds on him. When we asked the nurse what they were for she refused to tell us. Long story short: we ended up rattling some cages and found out later he was being given pills for things that he had no need for whatsoever!
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?

Not medication but my mother made us drink Cod Liver Oil.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    After being sick for the last week or so I'll chime in. Cough syrup is the worst tasting stuff out there. Then having to take the stuff every 4 hours along with other cold meds is definitely not fun.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    If you ever had the C-Scope - the prep.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Cough syrup is foul and so is that prep stuff that JNA mentioned. I never had to take it myself, but my ex did and he nearly vomited after the first swig. I had to doctor it a lot for him to chug it down...and he was a doctor!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Back in the days before the printed warnings with prescriptions, I had one that neither the doc nor the pharmacist warned me about limiting dairy intake. I was faithfully taking my meds and subsisting as a college freshman on a diet with a fair amount of dairy. By the end of Fall semester I was in incredible pain, made a doctor's appointment the day after X-mas, and after the poking and prodding, the doc announced that the meds+dairy were basically destroying my bowels. Relived to know I wasn't about the kick the bucket in some gruesome fashion, I got a different script and all went well.

Only other problem I ever encountered was when I was admitted to the hospital with gall bladder problems. The nurses warned me that the med was going to be horrible and I can tell you they were soft-shoeing it. Yechhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I may have to go on some kind of thyroid medicine. I'm concerned it's going to make me feel like a menopausal woman, causing me to have hot flashes or be unable to sleep.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I may have to go on some kind of thyroid medicine. I'm concerned it's going to make me feel like a menopausal woman, causing me to have hot flashes or be unable to sleep.
    Or be even more irritable and contentious. Male mentalpause is not a good thing.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    That gallon of stuff they make you drink the day before they roto-rotor your colon. You have to drink copious amounts of it at regular intervals. Since it has to be refrigerated, it is cold, and also bland. And it goes through you pretty fast, so you better be only a few steps from the bathroom at all times.

And after the procedure they insist on showing you the pictures they took. While the outside of me causes women to swoon with desire, my colon, not so much.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I don't know how to spell it, I just know I used to have to take it when I was little and some of my worst memories are associated with it's awful taste and burning sensation. PARA-GORIC is how my mom said it. OOooooh. I just got a little chill when I said it in my mind.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I don't know how to spell it, I just know I used to have to take it when I was little and some of my worst memories are associated with it's awful taste and burning sensation. PARA-GORIC is how my mom said it. OOooooh. I just got a little chill when I said it in my mind.
    Ah yes, I recall we had a bottle of paregoric in our medicine chest when I was a little tyke. Camphorated tincture of opium. Not to be confused with laudanum, which is also a tincture of opium and a more serious drug.

Laudanum was liberally dispensed in the 19th century for a variety of ailments, especially "female" problems. It was even given to infants. A popular drug in Victorian times, and folks like Lord Byron, Coleridge, Shelley, Keats, Lewis Carroll, Charles Dickens, and Edgar Allan Poe used it quite heavily.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Laudanum was liberally dispensed in the 19th century for a variety of ailments, especially "female" problems. It was even given to infants. A popular drug in Victorian times, and folks like Lord Byron, Coleridge, Shelley, Keats, Lewis Carroll, Charles Dickens, and Edgar Allan Poe used it quite heavily.
    Quote Originally posted by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
    A stately pleasure-dome decree :
    Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
    Through caverns measureless to man
    Down to a sunless sea
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubla_Khan

Registered
    May 2005

Cremulsion

http://www.creomulsion.com/

I remember as a kid my mom making me take this when the coughing got really bad. I remember it tasting very foul, even by cough syrup standards. I'm sure they've improved the taste over the last 20 years.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The 2 ways they diagnosis throat problems

1 - under general they scope you - only requires a 12 hr fast and the cold apple juice after tastes great. easy.

By far the worse -
    2 - swallowing this paste/glop that tastes like chalk mixed with as little fluid as possible through a straw
    for contrasting x-rays in 3 different positions - standing, reclining, & laying flat.
    The amount of water afterward to pass this
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 11 Jul 2012, 5:22 PM
  2. Yucky ice cream flavors
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 11 Jun 2009, 2:58 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Nov 2004, 7:40 PM
  4. Gender-based Medicine