Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Roller derby

Registered
    Feb 2004

Roller derby

This weekend I accompanied Junior’s Cub Scout den in the local Holiday Parade. We were positioned roughly in the middle of the parade. In front of us was the local roller derby team. I confess I’ve never watched roller derby in person and have only seen a few minutes of the sport played out on tv; from what I saw, though, the action was fast and abundant. I’m surprised the sport hasn’t achieved greater popularity.

After a cursory read on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_derby , it appears the sport has evolved over the years, early on it resembled professional wrestling and had pre-determined winners. They scrapped that, and now the sport seems to be experiencing something of a renaissance during the last decade among amateur circles. The fact that my two-horse town has its own team that actively participates with other teams from nearby cities is further testimony to its grass-roots appeal and growing popularity.

Based on the wiki article, the sport appeals to third wave feminists and has punk overtones. That certainly seemed to be the case with the group in the parade this weekend. The ladies were an assortment of butchy-punk ‘enforcer’ types, sexy ‘bad-girl’ types, and a handful of curiously ‘ordinary’ types.

Have you ever watched roller derby, and if so did it interest you as a spectator sport? Do you have any local amateur teams in your neck of the woods? Have you ever met anyone who has participated?

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I went to one a few years ago in Chicago. Never did quite figure out how it works. One of the few sports where there seems to be more interest in the woman's version than men's...

Registered
    Nov 2009
    We have a fairly popular roller derby team here that has been around for quite a few years. Derbies are pretty fun to go to, but were definitely more interesting to me in my twenties than my thirties.

You are spot on with the feminist/punk rock undertones Maister.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Back in the day, it was on television for a while. Although I put it in the same category as pro wrestling, I found it more entertaining. I actually went to one match in Detroit during grad school with some of the other TA's. I think it was at the old Olympia and it was another excuse to drink beer. As if we needed one.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Oct 2005
    We have a local team, the Cape Fear Roller Girls, who are quite active. They are also very big into charity and all proceeds after the events goes to local charities. I haven't been to an event yet but maybe in the next year I will...

And remember Maister, a catchy nick-name is required.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We have the Jersey Shore Roller Girls in Asbury Park, NJ. It's a great thing to watch. Really! And we get to do it at the beach
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Based on the wiki article, the sport appeals to third wave feminists and has punk overtones. That certainly seemed to be the case with the group in the parade this weekend. The ladies were an assortment of butchy-punk ‘enforcer’ types, sexy ‘bad-girl’ types, and a handful of curiously ‘ordinary’ types.]
    That's the case around here. It's a small town, but roller derby is extremely popular, especially among younger lesbians and the "riot grrl" crowd; like you said, third wave feminists. There's two women's teams, and men's roller derby is even gaining some traction.

Never saw the roller derby live, though.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Off-topic:

I suppose asking "do you intentionally seek out excuses to post pics that feature Volvos and Subies in Ithaca?" is akin to asking me "do you intentionally create polls that serve no apparent purpose"
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Off-topic:

I suppose asking "do you intentionally seek out excuses to post pics that feature Volvos and Subies in Ithaca?" is akin to asking me "do you intentionally create polls that serve no apparent purpose"
    I find it hilarious. It makes me want to visit the town just to laugh at people driving around in the same cars. Then again, a lot of folks in Detroit have ten year old grey Sables like I do, so thats kinda funny too.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    You have got to be kidding me-too funny.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Jersey Shore Roller Girls plays matches against Ithaca's team
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    You have to have leather balls to play rugby but you don't need balls to play roller derby. Probably part of the attraction. Just an observation.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Roller derby is pretty huge in Austin. I know three women that play, one of which is a librarian in real life.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My sister is on a roller derby team in the town btrage works in. She has been on the team for about 3 years now - since its inception. I have never gone to watch any of their matches. We tried to go to one of her first ones and there ended up being a blizzard that day and we could barely make it out of the driveway. After driving about 3 miles, we decided to stop at California Pizza Kitchen instead. I've never made much of an effort to attend one of her matches since then. It just doesn't interest me.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Kentucky Derby
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 93
    Last post: 05 May 2015, 8:22 AM
  2. Roller Coaster Thread: Whee!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 15 Aug 2012, 9:28 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 15 Sep 2011, 7:45 PM