Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The completely useless movie and book review thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

The completely useless movie and book review thread

So this guy comes over from Sicily when he was a kid and then he gets in charge of a big mafia gang and the people working for him do a buncha bad things. He's really powerful, and then they cut this horse's head off and leave it in some guy's bed and it scares the crap outta him. Then there's this big shootout at a toll both where they kill the guys son. And the younger son takes over, but he ends up shooting his other brother because of something he did in Cuba. You don't actually see his brother get shot. But you do see the first guy in charge die. He's got an orange in his mouth and he's chasing kids around. Oh, and there's this senator from Nevada who gets blackmailed by the gang.

It was a grate movie. You should see it. Especially the part where the one son shoots the other gangsters in the restaurant. That part was really cool.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yup that was useless.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2009
    There is a fox who is feeling down on himself and is bored with life, so he moves his family to a big old tree by the farmer's house where he is tempted into stealing chickens and hard cider. The farmer gets mad and the fox puts his family in danger. After some shenanigans and near-death experiences, the fox realizes that his family is all he needs to be happy.

What the cuss.
    whistle whistle
    click click
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Yup that was useless.
    I just figured it's pretty hard to write a good thoughtful review and that it would be a quite a lot easier to write a really bad one.

There is a fox who is feeling down on himself and is bored with life, so he moves his family to a big old tree by the farmer's house where he is tempted into stealing chickens and hard cider. The farmer gets mad and the fox puts his family in danger. After some shenanigans and near-death experiences, the fox realizes that his family is all he needs to be happy.
    Wow, you didn't even bother to say whether you liked the Fabulous Mr. Fox or not. Your review really sucked bad! Good job!

Okay, I saw this movie one time and it starts out with a bunch of monkeys that find a big box. There's some kinda cool music that goes with it - Dummm Dummmm Dummmmm Da dahhh! and then the monkeys beat the crap out of these other monkeys. And then for some reason the movie isn't about monkeys anymore and there's a buncha people on the moon. The moon people find another one of those boxes, but nobody beats the crap out of anyone (kinda disappointing I know). Then some people go into space and their computer goes all psycho and kills everyone except for one guy who gets out and touches a really big one of those boxes they found out in space and then there's a buncha colors and wierd crap that goes on and on like forever until a baby floats over the world. yeah, I didn't get it either. Other than the monkeys fighting, this flick was a complete waste!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Big house on a farm in the South. Civil War starts, lots of people die. Life is hard. A guy with a moustache and a woman argue a lot. He leaves. House burns while music plays.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Supposed to be from this book I didn't read in high school. Some kid with issues that don't work so well for him.
    Oddball

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Supposed to be from this book I didn't read in high school. Some kid with issues that don't work so well for him.
    I think we were supposed to read that too. Was it something about a baseball field that didn't get mowed enough or was it the other one?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I think we were supposed to read that too. Was it something about a baseball field that didn't get mowed enough or was it the other one?
    Nope, it was some other one I think.. I was told by those that read it something about running away or running wild.
    Oddball

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Nope, it was some other one I think.. I was told by those that read it something about running away or running wild.
    I didn't read that either but I heard that they made a movie out of it. Had some actors in it that nobody knew then but some of them are big names now. Wish they'd made a cartoon instead like that one about a cat that eats spaghetti or ravioli and makes fun of that guy. That's funny.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Movie Review Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 667
    Last post: 30 Dec 2013, 4:31 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 30 Oct 2012, 9:44 AM
  3. The Harry Potter movie/book thread.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12