Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2012 Christmas Thread

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I went up on the roof on Thursday to check the scuppers. The storm we had last week that filled the hot tub with pine needles (not that that's at all important or even noteworthy on a global scale) also blew millions of pine needles onto the roof. They washed into the gutter at the south end of the roof and clogged the scupper so that the gutter was about to overflow. I cleaned it out. Then I went up to the upper roof (our roofs are basically flat and the roof on the front of the house is couple of feet higher than the roof at the back part of the house). Both of the scuppers up there were clogged, too, and I cleaned them out.

While there I contemplated putting up the Christmas lights and decided it can wait.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Never thought of that! Daddy might have a problem with that because the playpen is the temporary jail in our house That would also solve the cat trying to bat at all the doodads on the tree.
    Don't count on it. A lot depends upon just how much your kitty loves those doodads ...

I've solved most of the "pet problems" by buying a much smaller tree. It's NOT as tempting to any of the witch sisters, especially since the chubby one who likes to bat ornaments the most has to jump up on the table to bother it. The tree is also safe from Tucker lifting his leg to mark said tree if he were so inclined to do that (not sure, but why put temptation there?).

A local food store/garden shop had a deal on artificial Christmas decorations, including trees, at 50% off. I scooped up a pre-lit 3 footer that sits on a table in the front window and doesn't appear to be topless because of the low-hanging window shade. It takes so much less garlands and ornaments that I got it all decorated well before I gave up hope that my Buffalo Bills would keep their playoff hopes alive by beating the Colts and took Tucker to the park.

Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I went up on the roof on Thursday to check the scuppers. The storm we had last week that filled the hot tub with pine needles (not that that's at all important or even noteworthy on a global scale) also blew millions of pine needles onto the roof. They washed into the gutter at the south end of the roof and clogged the scupper so that the gutter was about to overflow. I cleaned it out. Then I went up to the upper roof (our roofs are basically flat and the roof on the front of the house is couple of feet higher than the roof at the back part of the house). Both of the scuppers up there were clogged, too, and I cleaned them out.

While there I contemplated putting up the Christmas lights and decided it can wait.
    I thought about putting up Xmas lights outdoors, too. I even bought those plastic gutter hangers, but alas, I ran out of good weather, so I decided to wait until next year. I'll put up lights inside ...

I will probably get a fresh pine/spruce/fir garland for my fake fireplace and a small unadorned natural wreath for a centerpiece from the same place that I got the Christmas tree because I love the smell of real pine/spruce/fir. It's a bit early to bring that stuff into a warm, dry house though.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I tried to sneak away from all the guests on Thanksgiving and take advantage of the 60º weather to hang Christmas lights but my wife didn't like that idea. So instead I had to wait until the next day... when it was windy and about 35º. Oh well.

Oh, and the recommendation on the boxes of Christmas lights not to connect more than 4 was correct. I had about 12 strands all connected together and did even know that warning was on the box. I kept blowing fuses on the strands and getting frustrated when my wife pointed out my folly.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Suddenly my DH has gotten into the Christmas spirit. Not only did he put up some lights at the end of the driveway, he went out this afternoon and bought LED lights at Target. The fake tree and huge collection of ornaments have been taken out of storage. We'll be celebrating Christmas two days early, since he's working on the holiday, but it's going to be at our place this year. I'm looking forward to that.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    ZG has all the Christmas decorations in place and the empty boxes in the garage waiting for me to climb that really steep ladder to replace them on that very high shelf. Now she's torturing me with Christmas TV shows.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2005
    This is the first time in many years we didn't put the tree up during the Thanksgiving holiday. The tree still isn't up, although we do have some other decorations up.

We've had an artificial tree the last few years, but may go with the real thing this year. I'm really like the artificial tree, but apparently when we bought it my wife wasn't that keen on the idea.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I think we will put the tree up this weekend. We figured out we can put it up on the radiator enclosure so the baby can't get at it and the cat doesn't like the radiator so it's safe. We are staying home for Christmas since we will be going to MA two weeks later to celebrate the baby's 1st birthday and I don't feel like two trips so close together.

We have gone out to a movie and had Chinese food for dinner on Christmas Day for a long time but I don't think the baby will sit through a movie just yet so we were thinking about ordering a movie on-demand and still getting Chinese takeout. Maybe next year we can see a movie.

Gotta figure something out for the company Christmas party this year. It's a great bash with an open bar. My problem is that RT works in my office now and she's my babysitter but doesn't want to miss the party either.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I just print out a picture of the Charlie Brown Christmas tree, that good enough ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    We never put our tree up before Christmas Eve but then we don't take it down until Epiphany (January 6th). Haven't had a real tree for many years but we used to get great deals by waiting until nearly Christmas before buying.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    She's watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Who's gonna save me?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    We were watching it last night with the girls. It was my favorite Christmas show when I was a kid. I still like it.

We put our tree up last Friday night. Finally got around to putting the lights on last night. It's killing my daughters that they haven't been able to put ornaments up yet.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I watched it with Junior this weekend and helped decorate the tree as it was playing. My contributions to decorating are usually limited to cutting down the tree, putting up the outdoor lights, carrying boxes filled with decorations up from the basement, helping string lights and garland on the tree and positioning the star on top.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We drove about an hour east to a very large county park that puts up/displays 1.5 million lights. We started doing this when the girl was about 3 and she and her best friend always ask when we're going. I get to drive & the women have "travelers" (mixed drinks to go). For some reason it was half-price admission, so $5 wasn't a bad deal. We didn't make it home in time to watch Rudolph but our friend has it on DVD - along with Charlie Brown, Frosty and Little Drummer Boy - so it will still happen.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2009
    We are going with a live tree that we can plant after the holiday this year. We will be picking it up this weekend. Luckily I have a big strong firefighter brother to help me lug the thing into place. I may need to bribe a few of his friends too.... we'll see about that.

We have also decided to give each other a joint present this year and will be investing in a saltwater aquarium. Once we get it filled, it should only take about 2-3 months before we can install the first corals and maybe a fish for them. Merry Christmas to us!

The families are all getting family portraits. Are we cheapos?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    We are going with a live tree that we can plant after the holiday this year. We will be picking it up this weekend. Luckily I have a big strong firefighter brother to help me lug the thing into place. I may need to bribe a few of his friends too.... we'll see about that.

We have also decided to give each other a joint present this year and will be investing in a saltwater aquarium. Once we get it filled, it should only take about 2-3 months before we can install the first corals and maybe a fish for them. Merry Christmas to us!

Nope. Never saw the use of getting everyone something, trying to guess what they like/size, and chances are they won't like it anyways
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Could be worse - you could get them all plastic travel coffee mugs, lottery tickets, Slim Jims, cheap sunglasses, and windshield washer fluid.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Not at all!

...The families are all getting family portraits. Are we cheapos?
    It's a perfect size, something they can all use, they'll keep it forever.

The year my tuxedo kitty landed in my life, I spent some Novemberish time with the 35mm camera on a tripod in the back yard, posed in front of a large fir, wearing this great sweatshirt depicting three cartoon tux-cats making themselves a snow kitty. And holding the new critter, who was six months old and adorable. Picked up some frames at Big Lots (recommend!), sized the photo to fit, print, assemble, wrap, mail. That was 1992 and it's still displayed on my brother's end table.

Perfect gift, IMHO

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Could be worse - you could get them all plastic travel coffee mugs, lottery tickets, Slim Jims, cheap sunglasses, and windshield washer fluid.
    I might actually prefer to receive these items.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Windshield Washer Fluid - that's a great holiday suggesstion!!!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    What's wrong with lottery tickets?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Or slim jims?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I bet liquor, cigars/cigarettes, chocolate, and spiral ham were quite popular office holiday gifts in the 1960s. Nowadays it's all about re-gifting cheesy kitchen stuff and gift cards (if you're lucky).

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I might actually prefer to receive these items.
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Windshield Washer Fluid - that's a great holiday suggesstion!!!
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Or slim jims?
    [updating Christmas card list to include my new friends who appreciate the true value of Really Last Minute Christmas shopping]

Registered
    Jul 2006
    [updating Christmas card list to include my new friends who appreciate the true value of Really Last Minute Christmas shopping]
    Those gas station restroom novelties are great last-minute gifts too. Some reputedly bring great pleasure to both the gifter and giftee.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 1999
    You know I have a long list of holiday specials/movies I watch. At least they never interfere with football. It goes back to my younger years, before VCRs and DVRs, when you had one shot at a show each year.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last post: 06 Dec 2010, 7:02 PM
  3. Christmas Music Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 74
    Last post: 11 Jul 2010, 8:44 AM
  4. The Christmas Thread - 2007