NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I unequivocally hate Christmas.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    BAH HUMBUG!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I unequivocally hate Christmas.
    All of it or just the commercialization, the endless TV specials, the heighten expectations, implied weather of the season - cold & snowy, forced dealing with family ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    All of it or just the commercialization, the endless TV specials, the heighten expectations, implied weather of the season - cold & snowy, forced dealing with family ?
    No, it's me and my expectations.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    freakin' out! i have no idea what i'm getting anyone for christmas!! ack!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    Exterior Xmas lights are still not up. At this point, I don't think they're going up. Now I know why people put them up right after Halloween.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Nov 2009
    We don't have exterior lights up either. I don't think we are going to do it this year. Too busy. No ladder. Too tired. The inside of the house looks nice though.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005
    We are officially heading to Sarasota at the end of the year. Now we're trying to decide if Santa will come early so we can leave sooner, or if we'll just leave right after Xmas. It really depends on if my wife wants to go to her grandparents on Xmas day.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    We don't have exterior lights up either. I don't think we are going to do it this year. Too busy. No ladder. Too tired. The inside of the house looks nice though.
    Exactly the same thing here. Just too busy to do much on the outside. We put up the tree and stockings on Sunday, though. I was tasked with setting up the Christmas town, for which I must say I fully ignored Euclidian zoning, building orientation logic, and basically all other planning principles in the interest of just fitting the damn thing on the countertop.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Exactly the same thing here. Just too busy to do much on the outside. We put up the tree and stockings on Sunday, though. I was tasked with setting up the Christmas town, for which I must say I fully ignored Euclidian zoning, building orientation logic, and basically all other planning principles in the interest of just fitting the damn thing on the countertop.
    Funny you should mention it, my wife paints plasterware houses as a hobby and we have a mix of about 68 buildings that are commercial, industrial, ag and res. Every year I set up the village on the dining room table and lay out the zoning, roads, rail lines, and infrastructure in plausible configurations. When we had time for Christmas parties at our house, my planner friends used to gather round the table drinks in hand and analyze the setup. I intentionally create scenarios where you find a couple of legal nonconforming buildings and uses, and at my request the wife even created a 'blight' house where she used mismatched white and gray paints and applied a crackle coat to simulate peeling paint. I made a stockade fence out of popsicle sticks (missing a couple slats) which I turn 'bad side' out to the neighbors. The yard gets filled with junk and household debris that we bought from a specialty dollhouse store!

I should probably post a pic sometime.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Sunday I had to strip all the lights off hte outdoor wreath and restring new ones. Sat on the deck in 70 degrees with a beer. THat has now beenhung. The tree was bought and lights strung last night along with stockings being hung. Tonight we decorate the tree. I still gotta send the cards, UGH.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Wimpy porch-only lights are hung. Almost embarrassing how little effort we put on the outside - in fact, this year is the first for lights of any kind.

Artificial tree is out of the closet and ready for assembly. This upcoming weekend will involved assembly, decorations, and what-not inside the house. We will be alone this year, so no need to go all-out. Fine by me! - I'll cook for two and it'll be a nice, quiet day with hubby and the dogs.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Funny you should mention it, my wife paints plasterware houses as a hobby and we have a mix of about 68 buildings that are commercial, industrial, ag and res. Every year I set up the village on the dining room table and lay out the zoning, roads, rail lines, and infrastructure in plausible configurations. When we had time for Christmas parties at our house, my planner friends used to gather round the table drinks in hand and analyze the setup. I intentionally create scenarios where you find a couple of legal nonconforming buildings and uses, and at my request the wife even created a 'blight' house where she used mismatched white and gray paints and applied a crackle coat to simulate peeling paint. I made a stockade fence out of popsicle sticks (missing a couple slats) which I turn 'bad side' out to the neighbors. The yard gets filled with junk and household debris that we bought from a specialty dollhouse store!

I should probably post a pic sometime.
    That sounds FANTASTIC! I'd love to see a pic. I always liked the little model Christmas towns. Maybe it goes back to my geeky model railroader days backin high school (yeah, didn't really get laid back in high school ) when the most fun part to me was making the realistic model town setting it was in and putting together the buildings by hand.

Actually, I'll bet there are people out there that take it to even bigger extremes and make it like a 3D version of De Noc () making it grow year after year and constantly improving the plans and changing it as times change. I'm sure I could waste hours finding cool examples other people have done online but I'd better not in the interest of productivity.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    The cards are sent, mostly. The infamous redneck Christmas decorations went up last night. Most of the gifts have been bought.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Used incentive leave and took this afternoon off to begrudgingly complete my Christmas shopping.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Exterior Xmas lights are still not up. At this point, I don't think they're going up. Now I know why people put them up right after Halloween.
    Same here. It was too hot on Thanksgiving weekend and now it's cold and dark when I get home.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Busy holiday weekend ahead: hang the lights, acquire and trim the tree, bake holiday cookies, be merry.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Used incentive leave and took this afternoon off to begrudgingly complete my Christmas shopping.
    I got the Grinch.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I got the Grinch.
    I hope he's happy with the lump of coal and lemon that you're giving him.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm wearing a Christmas themed pair of underwear this morning. I guess I'm over the Grinch stage.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The boys' gifts are wrapped and out of sight. Daughter's gifts are mailed and delivered. I may or may not finish decorating the tree (the vintage glass ornaments are MIA).

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm wearing a Christmas themed pair of underwear this morning. I guess I'm over the Grinch stage.
    PLEASE NO
    we do not need nor want a Photo.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Busy holiday weekend ahead: hang the lights, acquire and trim the tree, bake holiday cookies, be merry.
    Lights hung, tree acquired and trimmed, some cookies baked, struggling to be merry.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Tree up, presents stashed because the baby is obsessed with paper and ripping it to shreds. I still have some shopping to do but have to wait until pay day
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2002
    All of the gifts have been purchased. Now I just have to plan the holiday menu for the 4 of us. The tradition is for a huge spread, more than you can possibly eat , with no specific mealtime - i.e., we eat all day long. I definitely need to include some healthy options!

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last post: 06 Dec 2010, 7:02 PM
  3. Christmas Music Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 74
    Last post: 11 Jul 2010, 8:44 AM
  4. The Christmas Thread - 2007