Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thanksgiving 2012

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Three humanoids and three catnoids ().

Registered
    Nov 2009
    We are going to end up having 3 guests for dinner tomorrow and 2 on Friday.

I have decided to try a new turkey roasting recipe this year and will be soaking the bird in an orange, rosemary brine for about 14 hours before roasting. Wish me luck.

We are also cooking everything dairy-free due to MW's diet, so no butter, no milk, no cheese. I wonder if anyone will notice?

On the menu:
    Turkey
    Roasted winter squash varieties with a lemon and olive oil seasoning
    Braised brussels sprouts
    Mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon and marshmallow
    Fresh cranberry dressing (my mom's recipe and my first time trying it)
    Roasted garlic fingerling potato wedges
    Apple pie
    Many bottles of wine

I'm doing most of the cooking tonight because we have a very small oven.

My MIL is also bringing:
    A ham because one of the guests doesn't like turkey (weirdo!)
    Green bean casserole (gag)

My brother is a firefighter and has to work Thanksgiving, so he will be bringing his girlfriend over Friday to help us polish off the leftovers.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Brining

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    We are going to end up having 3 guests for dinner tomorrow and 2 on Friday.

I have decided to try a new turkey roasting recipe this year and will be soaking the bird in an orange, rosemary brine for about 14 hours before roasting. Wish me luck.....
    Might be too late for this idea, but...after realizing I didn't have a plastic food-safe bag big enough, the dang thing is already packaged in one. So I trimmed just a bit of the top off, rinsed it out, and poured in my brining solution. Carefully positioned it upright in the fridge, in a small pan. That was last night, supposed to go an hour a pound.

Brining solution: boiled some water, dumped in a lot of salt, went through the spice rack to add lots of various compounds. A couple of the church guests have identified some allergies and avoids, so I made sure to not put in any sugar or gluten. Could have picked up a bottle of Schmancy Brining Mixture containing the same elements.

While I'm at it...later in our family's turkey-stuffing history, my mama (bless her heart) eased the effort by seasoning the dressing with a can of vegetable soup. Prior to that it was a lot of rinsing and chopping of carrots, celery, onions. I remember the soup thing as not affording the best flavor (too salty).

I'm cheating: a couple bags of frozen mixed vegs along with fresh celery. (Will take unused celery along to the potluck. Someone else is bringing our church's official foodstuff: hummous.)

Registered
    Nov 2009
    The turkey bag is a good idea. I might give that a try too since I am still not sure how well my bird will fit into the largest pot I have.
    Occupy Your Brain!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My pumpkin pie is out of the oven and cooling on a rack. I say "mine" because nobody else in the house eats pumpkin pie.

Registered
    May 2004

Spatchcock

Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    My pumpkin pie is out of the oven and cooling on a rack. I say "mine" because nobody else in the house eats pumpkin pie.
    Mebbe a December b-day thing. pumpkin pie, I eat it year 'round.

Memo to self: performing a turkey butterfly maneuver (excising its backbone prior to roasting, or spatchcocking) is fairly disgusting. This is not enhanced by a recent review of the E-Z Podiatric Surgery for Fun 'n Profit type of websites.

Registered
    Jul 2006

The Turkey Song - Adam Sandler

Turkey for me
    Turkey for you
    Let's eat the turkey
    In my big brown shoe
    Love to eat the turkey
    At the table
    I once saw a movie
    With Betty Grable
    Eat that turkey
    All night long
    Fifty million Elvis fans
    Can't be wrong
    Turkey lurkey doo and
    Turkey lurkey dap
    I eat that turkey
    Then I take a nap
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ended up having our turkey feast on Saturday. Still on the 'first wave' of leftovers, and have yet to repurpose anything yet.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    In Toledo on Sunday. Thought about going to Tony Packos, but didn't have the energy.... long day.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    In Toledo on Sunday. Thought about going to Tony Packos, but didn't have the energy.... long day.
    Should have stopped by the newest Cyburbian household. And Katie. (She spent the day with Bear's family, per FB.)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Should have stopped by the newest Cyburbian household. And Katie. (She spent the day with Bear's family, per FB.)
    I thought about Bear as I drove by Swanton....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I had some Tony Packos on Saturday while watching the Michigan/OSU game. However, it was just Tony Packo ingredients (and Kroger buns) prepared in my own kitchen.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 28
    Last post: 29 Nov 2011, 10:47 AM
  2. Thanksgiving - 2006
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 24 Nov 2006, 1:46 PM
  3. Thanksgiving for a newbie
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26