Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Personal Online Profile

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Personal Online Profile

I had a fascinating conversation with a college friend regarding personal marketing and the mighty on line profile. What sparked the conversation was a phase that I overheard while eating some post night meeting B-dubs. “Twitter is the new Facebook and text is the new e-mail.” Now this would normally not be much of a big deal, but I see people’s profile pages with all these links to other pages, some things that are cross linked, and Facebook posts written as #tweets.

My college friend said that it is shifting the way many people do business, notably with websites that are increasingly being popular like about.me, linkedin, mylife, and many others that can all be linked together. It has created a new form of personal marketing. Now, online profiles can showcase a person, their events, ideas, services, activities, and opportunities to work together on projects. He also pointed out that this is something that the Obama campaign did extremely well during this last election. Not only did he have several pages on several sites, he understood how to use search engines, twitter tags, and key words to his advantage.

He pointed out that many employers will do an online search to learn more about you than just what is on your résumé. I had to agree as we looked on line for Facebook or twitter accounts when we were looking to hire a new nanny.

What does your online profile say about you? Do you have multiple online profiles? What online profile sites do you use?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Truth be told, I deliberately try to put as little out there as possible. If that prevents me from getting a job, so be it. That's probably not a place I want to work anyway if they value a social media presence so much.

The only site I use is Linkedin which obviously reflects what's on my resume. I toyed around with a Facebook account 5+ years ago but never saw the appeal.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I was somewhat active on facebook a couple years ago, but seldom take the time to even look at my page these days. I think I may even terminate my fb account. I wonder how complicated that would be to do?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I worry about this with future employers because I have a relative I've never met with the same name in the same area. This guy was on the local news for committing a serious crime. A google search of my name comes up with those articles along side my boring hits (meeting minutes, etc).

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    I worry about this with future employers because I have a relative I've never met with the same name in the same area. This guy was on the local news for committing a serious crime. A google search of my name comes up with those articles along side my boring hits (meeting minutes, etc).
    Time to start considering using your middle initial (if it is different)...???
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Time to start considering using your middle initial (if it is different)...???
    I already do but I hope people will notice the difference. News articles didn't have a good shot of his face to tell us apart either.

Maybe its time to change my name to something cool like Lance Duany.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I only use Facebook, and I have minimal info in my profile so that my real friends/old classmates/acquaintances can find me: name, current city, hometown, and my colleges. Personally, I think putting out less in a profile is much safer than putting out your life story where any ne'er-do-well can access it -- and I'm NOT a particularly paranoid person.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    I have the same issue. Someone who shares my name is the president of a multinational bank, so a google turns up countless posts about him. I'd hate to have people confuse us and believe I was a leading contributor to the global economic collapse. That is not good for an economic developer.

My wife works occassionally as a recruiter and has told me how often recruiters use LinkedIn to search out potential job candidates. What you put in your profile can be critical to getting found and getting job offers.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Customize Profile?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Apr 2010, 4:52 PM
  2. An interested profile
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Feb 2010, 1:26 PM
  3. Changing Profile