Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fire!

Registered
    Feb 2004

Fire!

Has anyone ever had a fire in their home, or been inside a building when a fire occurred?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yes, when I was a Firefighter/EMT I have

participated in live fire training - controlled burning down donated houses
    and
    responsed to house fires - electrical and chimney. dont remember any kitchen ones.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    <knock on wood>, house no. I was once in a car that had an electrical fire. I got out when I smelled smoke
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Has anyone ever had a fire in their home, or been inside a building when a fire occurred?
    Yes and yes. There was a fire in my master bedroom two years ago.

Mrs G was sleeping when I sent the kids up to brush and go to bed. The kids said they smelled something upstairs but I figured they were just trying to finagle a few more minutes before bed. When they came out of the bathroom they both shouted 'FIRE' as the alarms went off. I dashed up the stairs and at the landing could see the orange light of fire in our bedroom. A fan had malfunctioned and caught fire. Fortunately, the flame was contained to a small area. I got my wife safely out of bed, called 9-1-1, and used our fire extinguisher to douse the flames. The FD checked the house to be sure there were no flames in the floors, walls, or ceilings and then blew the smoke out using one of their large fans.

I still have to replace a few sections of hardwood that were damaged.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I was aboard the USS Belleau Wood when a JP-5 fuel pipe burst in the hanger bay and a fire ignited. I was in the SCIF away from the activity when general quarters were sounded and everything immediately went into a level of lock-down I had never experienced and we began to scramble to put away the information we were working with and deciding what we would need to destroy. We were in the middle of the East China Sea with no land in sight. Alarms and bells were going off left and right. It probably took them all of 10 minutes to get the fire under control but it felt like an eternity. We Marines were a bit scared but seeing a couple sailors in the SCIF with us who looked worried probably was not helping us. I mean, if these shellbacks with years and years worth of sea time under their belt were getting worried, maybe the ship was really in danger we thought! Luckily the ship was saved all but the most minimal damage thanks to the very quick thinking of a young Marine who literally stepped into the flames to shut off an emergency valve.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I used to run into them as a volunteer firefighter.

Once in college my GFs toaster caught on fire because of all the crumbs in the bottom. I quickly put a towel aroundmy hands, unplugged it and ran it out the back door flames shooting out the front. We let it burn to the ground.
    @GigCityPlanner

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've successfully burned down a toaster, but that's not too exciting.

The big one was a pretty bad car fire in my friend's old beater of a pickup. That was certainly interesting to watch it become a charred hulk of metal on the side of the road.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2005
    When I was about 8 years old, I was playing "campout" with a friend in the backyard. We made a little fire with leaves and, thinking I was a firckin' genius, proudly proclaimed that if you starved the fire of oxygen, it would go out. So, I turned a large galvanized bucket over the fire and we wandered elsewhere to play. 15 minute later, there was a fire raging and it caught this little toolshed on fire and subsequently burned it to the ground. I got in a wee bit of trouble for that one...

Then, when I was about 15 we had an electrical fire in our house. My father was at work and my mother had gone out shopping while I slept in. At some point I woke up and noticed a lot of particles floating in the air. At first I thought it was the tindle effect - when the sun comes in low through the window and illuminates dust particles in the air. But it seemed a little heavy. As I made my way down the hall, I realized this wasn't dust. At the top of the back stairs, I could see smoke bellowing up the stairwell and, opposite that, my very happy go lucky dog sitting on my parents' bed, wagging her tail and looking at me with great enthusiasm. Grabbed the dog and the cat, got them out, called the fire department and headed outside. Turned out it was the electric stove that had shorted. The fire had begun moving up the lattice work behind the plaster walls and the firefighters said another 20 minutes and the whole second story would have gone.

Boy was my mom surprised when she got home! But this one wasn't my fault and the damage wasn't very bad beyond the kitchen. Amusingly, a lawyer showed up while the fire department was still there, gave me his card, and proudly told me that he had heard the engines and came over to see what was happening. Ambulance chasers...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I've seen a grease fire at a restaurant. More excitement than I care for. Because many restaurants use an automatic extinguisher system over their fryers and grills, it was extinguished quickly. However, the cleanup takes many hours because the fire retardant is a fine dust that goes everywhere.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    When I was in college I saw an old sawmill go up in flames after a lighting storm. The fire raged on in spite on the rain. It was a sight to behold.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Yes, when I was in HS a neighbors house caught fire because of a lighting strike. The entire neighborhood converged into the house to help the 80 year old couple get as much stuff out of the house as possible before it burned or was water damaged. The fire was contained to the attic but the water damage to the furniture that was not able to be pulled out was extensive. At least all the pictures and keep-sakes were saved.

I once had a small grease fire in my kitchen, but that just resulted in a slightly darkened wall, an empty extinguisher, and a delivery pizza.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2005
    When I was in sixth grade we were visiting my grandparents in Florida and were driving back to their place from a day at Disneyworld. We had a Dodge vehicle, I forget the model but it was like a small minivan. We kids were mostly or fully asleep when my mom happened to look in the passenger sideview mirror and saw flames coming out of the exhaust pipe. Fortunately we all got out just fine but the fire spread and the car was completely engulfed when the FD arrived. I was equally sad that my shoes and my New Kids on the Block poster book were both consumed in the fire.

Registered
    May 2004
    My dad accidentally blew up his boat. Darn thing exploded into flames about 30 feet outside the house and burned for over an hour.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    When I was in college I saw an old sawmill go up in flames after a lighting storm. The fire raged on in spite on the rain. It was a sight to behold.
    In one city I lived in, an 1800s era church just off the downtown burned. We got to see it from our building. Regarding my car fire, I had pullled off on the side of the road. In a very detached sort of way, it was interesting watching it burn. I kept expecting it to blow up, but it never did.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Never experienced a real fire but our oil furnace "backfired" at the beginning of last winter, setting off the smoke detectors and filling the basement with smoke. Not a great way to wake up, especially knowing that if there ever was a real fire our house would likely go up in minutes (old balloon frame semi).

Registered
    Nov 2006
    When I was 14, our barn and garage caught fire and burned, killing some cows and pigs, destroying two cars, and nearly exploding the house because the propane tanks were on the side of the house closest to the barns. Luckily the VFDers put their hoses on the tanks to keep them cool since there wasn't anything they could do to save the old barn and garage.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I left an empty wok on a hot stove once, intending to heat the pan slightly before adding the oil. I forgot about it for a few minutes, and when I returned to the kitchen, I poured the oil into the wok anyway (...idiot...) and it burst into flames. Scared the crap out of me. Fortunately, I was able to contain the fire so the alarm never went off. I was in grad school at the time.

That same year, my closest friend called me, in tears. A row house on her block caught fire, and since the buildings were close together, the fire spread to her house and one or two others. My friend, her teenage son, and their dogs got out safely, but they lost a bunch of cats in the fire, not to mention most of their belongings. I remember going inside what was left of the place... horrible.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Has anyone ever had a fire in their home...
    No, thank goodness.

...or been inside a building when a fire occurred?
    Closest I came to that was an AC unit on the roof of an office building I was in about eight years ago catching fire, but it didn't spread to the building itself.

An apartment building in the complex I lived in ~15 years ago caught fire - it was two buildings over from mine - that was a frightening scene to come home to. Started as a kitchen fire in a corner unit and spread throughout that one apartment rather quickly, but didn't spread too far beyond that one unit - lots of smoke and water damage throughout the rest of the building, though.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Alarms!

I have not... however I did live in Commons South of UIC my freshmen year of undergrad. The building with the record for most false-alarms in the City of Chicago [rumored but believable] I spent many a night hanging out outside the dorm waiting for the fire dpt to show up and establish that no, it wasn't in fact on fire. Good to be sure, I guess. (Note: no false alarms started in MY room!)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fire
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 20 Sep 2013, 3:09 PM
  2. Fire Lake
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Aug 2012, 10:35 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 4:42 AM