Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Snapshot 7/28/14

Registered
    Feb 2004

Snapshot 7/28/14

What is the approximate distance (as the crow flies) to the nearest farm from your home?

2.1 miles. (Used to be a quarter mile when I was a kid)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    This is Kansas and I live in "The City" so I have an active farm within 1/2 mile give or take a few feet in any direction.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    1.6 miles if you count the country club that stretches across both sides of the road. Hey, it does have a "tractor crossing" sign!

7.0 miles to the nearest actual farm. It's run by the neighboring school district, but it is a full working farm of 85+ acres.

Growing up, the nearest farm was the one I lived on. Horses, cows, chickens, pigs, 60 acres of hay fields, gardens, and pastures at our house and another 300+ acres a mile and a half down the road.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What is the approximate distance (as the crow flies) to the nearest farm from your home?

2.1 miles. (Used to be a quarter mile when I was a kid)
    800 feet from the south and 800 feet from the north. I live in a small subdivision off a state trunkline - there are crops behind the house across the street from me, and crops on the south side of the state trunkline.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Upon reflection it occurs to me it'd actually be 0.7 miles if we count greenhouses as farms.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'll assume the farm in the Lincoln Park Zoo doesn't count. Its got to be a good 40 miles to actual farmland from the northside of Chicago.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I live in an area that is dense, but right next to farms in the county next door. Less than a half mile easy to one of those you pick'um places.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jun 2009
    4 miles, but I'm not sure if it's a REAL farm, or just one of those operated by the park district that's more of a tourist attraction type thing (never stopped to really look). I think you need to go about 6 or 7 miles to hit real farm country from where I am south of Denver.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    about 1.5 miles or less
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2008
    1.34 miles, but it's a very small-scale operation; one of a half dozen left-over farmed pieces that some farmer who is mostly sold out to development is still working.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Having worked in NC for 4 years, could you please define "Bona fide Farm?" Then I can answer your question.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Having worked in NC for 4 years, could you please define "Bona fide Farm?" Then I can answer your question.

I can, it's a farm the the legislature deems above the zoning laws and you can basically run any of kind of agricultural related business on them with no approvals.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    For me a greenhouse/garden center is not a farm, a real farm must grow fruits, veggies, grains, or raise animals.

The nearest "real" farm to me is 23 miles away, but then again I live in the middle of the urban core.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Let's see... nearest grazing land is about 1/2 mile from me. They have sheep for grazing, but also eggs from hens.

There's a fully-functional 6 acre urban farm on the edge of the downtown I work in. Really cool setup that has all kinds of seasonal fruits/veggies, hen eggs, etc. He invites in other farmers from the area to have their goods in his farm stand on-site. He does a cool pumpkin patch every year as well. He invites the school district to do field trips there and even helps the elementary students do a garden each year at the school.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Around 23km to a real farm. 6 to a petting zoo.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    There are cows grazing in a field adjacent to my subdivision.

Actual crops 3 miles.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Depends on what you mean by farm. In the traditional Midwest sense, miles and miles away. If you mean timber as a crop, less than 5 miles.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    A few miles to the west there is cropland.

A few miles to the East there is an Urban Farm that has been there for 100 years. They raise turkeys and in typical form the subdivisions surrounding them get riled-up every few years wanting to shut it down due to the stink and noise. I think its funny that they buy homes knowning full well a farm is there, then b!tch about it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3969...7VySwSPn2A!2e0
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1/2 mile.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Three miles north of us.......it's a sod farm. Does that count?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    @Five miles from the Queens County Farm. (Which for some reason they insist on calling a 'Museum".) I pass by there quite a lot in my car. Whenever I have a spare 10 minutes, I stop to pet and feed some animals. It's so lovely and relaxing.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I'll assume the farm in the Lincoln Park Zoo doesn't count. Its got to be a good 40 miles to actual farmland from the northside of Chicago.
    I grew up in Glenview, a northern suburb that now might be considered part of the inner ring. Until the 19070's there were still farms in most directions, including one taking up part of the block I lived on. The field south of Golf Mill (an early mall) was still farmed. There was a farmstand between our house and the high school (the one you saw in The Breakfast Club). On the drive to our summer home in Wisconsin you could definitely say that you were in teh country by the time you hit Wheeling. Long Grove was a crossroads hamlet and there were nothing but farms from there to Fox Lake. Now it is rare to see a farm before you reach Fox Lake.

As for me, I lived on a farm for a few years. Where I am now is a transitioning area that will likely be covered in five acre estates within the next decade. The nearest farm was next door until five years ago. Now it is about a half mile to the west.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    Around 23km to a real farm. 6 to a petting zoo.
    Damn everyone else in the world except us Americans using the metric system that's actually based on a standard unit of measurement! Now I have to convert stuff. First you put kph on my speedometer, then I need to have two sets of wrenches to make sure I can work on stuff. What's next, metric yard sticks?!?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    About 10 miles, but I think that will double in the next 10 years as the suburbs grow.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Ohio River bottom farms are 5 to 8 miles away

There are row crops at the airport (between taxiways & runways) - 2.5 miles away

Retail farm /store - 3.6 miles

In my fair county we have many of these -

In honor of Indiana's rich agricultural heritage, the Hoosier Homestead Award Program recognizes families with farms that have been owned by the same family for 100 years or more.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Snapshot 7/25/14
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 25 Jul 2014, 4:59 PM
  2. Snapshot 11/19/13
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 19 Nov 2013, 9:14 PM
  3. Snapshot 11/14/13