Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Famous alumni from your alma mater

Registered
    Sep 1999

Famous alumni from your alma mater

I got this idea from an Orlando Sentinel article about famous grads of University of FL. Here are some of ours:

Actors Buddy Ebsen, Faye Dunaway
    TIM TEBOW!!
    Other athletes: Olympian swimmer Ryan Lochte, NFL Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith, golfer Andy Bean, pro soccer player Abby Wambach
    Sportscasters Erin Andrews and Red Barber
    Musician Stephen Stills
    Authors Michael Connelly, Frances Mayes, Carl Hiaasen
    Academy Award winning director Jonathan Demme
    Melinda Lou "Wendy" Thomas, daughter of Wendy's founder Dave Thomas
    TV host, author: Bob Vila

Who are the well-known grads from your college/university?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Wayne State University

Movie Star Types

Casey Kasem
    Tom Sizemore
    Lily Tomlin
    Tom Skerrit
    Ernie Hudson - Ghostbusters and Oz
    Tim Meadows
    Miss USA Kenya Moore
    Della Reese
    Jeffrey Tambor - Arrested Development, the Roepers, Larry Sanders
    Helen Thomas
    Hugh Downs
    Dr Wayne Dryer

Rich Guys:

Dan Gilbert - Owner/President of Quicken
    Pete Karmonos - Owner/CEO Compuware
    Bill Davidson - Owner of Guardian Industries and Detroit Pistons

John Conyers, old as Dirt US Congressman
    Joe Schwartz - Physician and US Congressman
    Charles Lindbergh grew up in a house on campus. Joni Mitchell also lived on Campus.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Famous alums from my high school (Appleton, WI Xavier) include Rocky Bleier (NFL player) and Greta Van Susteran (newscaster).

Not too many famous alums from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, though.

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Apparently no one ever write a famous alumni section for where I went to undergrad. I seem to recall one of the Baldwins...

My high school, Williamsville South has this list...

Steve Abbott, Class of 1987, actor
    Neil Abercrombie, Class of 1955 (Williamsville Central HS), Governor of Hawaii and former member of the United States House of Representatives from Hawaii
    Marty Angelo, Class of 1965, pastor and founder of Marty Angelo Ministries, Author "Once Life Matters: A New Beginning", "Vision of New Jerusalem: Now"
    Alfred F. Beiter, Class of (c. 1907–08) (Williamsville HS), member of the United States House of Representatives from New York, 1933–39 & 1941–43
    Jim Dombrowski, Class of 1981, professional football player for the New Orleans Saints
    Robert Kinkel, founding member of Trans-Siberian Orchestra
    Wendie Malick, Class of 1968, actress
    Joyce Carol Oates, Class of 1956 (Williamsville Central HS), award-winning author and professor of English at Princeton University
    Faith Whittlesey, Class of 1956 (Williamsville Central HS), Assistant to the President for Public Liaison under Ronald Reagan and a United States Ambassador to Switzerland

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I don't think there are any well known alumni from Lander University where I completed my undergraduate degree. It's a small regional state school.

Rutgers University, where I earned my double masters....well that's a different story with too many to name. Here's a few:

Milton Friedman, economist
    Janet Evanovich, author
    Mark Ecko, fashion designer
    Randall Pinkett, entrepreneur and winner of The Apprentice
    Selman Waksman, microbiologist and Nobel prize winner
    Ozzie Nelson, actor
    James Gandolfini, actor
    Calista Flockhart, actress
    Louis Freeh, former FBI director

http://www.alumni.rutgers.edu/s/896/...gid=1&pgid=430
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2006
    The State University College of Buffalo (much better know as Buffalo State College or simply Buff State):
    • Brian Higgins, 1984, Democratic Congressman currently representing the Buffalo area in Congress.
    • Byron Brown, 1983, politician. First African American state senator elected outside of NYC and first African American mayor of Buffalo, NY. Current mayor.
    • Evelyn S. Lieberman, 1966, first woman to be White House Deputy Chief of Staff (1996).
    • Diane English, 1970, film director, screenwriter, and producer. Creator of Murphy Brown.
    • Tom Fontana, 1973, television writer/producer of shows like St Elsewhere and Homicide: Life on the Streets.
    • Randy Smith, 1971, NBA basketball player. He was a 2nd Team NBA All Star in the 1970s, and between 1972 and 1982, he set the then consecutive game record of 906 games!

Given that until the 1960s Buff State was a teachers college, and only transitioned to a liberal arts schools beginning in the mid-1960s (I was 1 of only about 50 liberal arts history majors when I was there vs probably 1000 or more secondary ed social studies majors), I think that this list is rather impressive.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Likewise, but kjel forgot a few.

David Stern - NBA commish.
    Mario Runco Jr. & Terry Jonathan Hart - NASA Astronaut
    Mario Batali - Chef/Restauranteur
    Joanna Angel and Asia Carrera -
    Mr. Magoo

Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I don't think there are any well known alumni from Lander University where I completed my undergraduate degree. It's a small regional state school.

Rutgers University, where I earned my double masters....well that's a different story with too many to name. Here's a few:

Milton Friedman, economist
    Janet Evanovich, author
    Mark Ecko, fashion designer
    Randall Pinkett, entrepreneur and winner of The Apprentice
    Selman Waksman, microbiologist and Nobel prize winner
    Ozzie Nelson, actor
    James Gandolfini, actor
    Calista Flockhart, actress
    Louis Freeh, former FBI director

http://www.alumni.rutgers.edu/s/896/...gid=1&pgid=430
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    University of Southern Mississippi
    Jimmy Buffett ’69 - Singer, Songwriter, and author
    Cat Cora - Celebrity Chef, Iron Chef America on Food Network
    Tom Malone - Musician, CBS Orchestra - Late Show with David Letterman, Blues Brothers Band
    Sally-Ann Roberts - Anchorwoman for WWL-TV in New Orleans, Louisiana
    Chuck Scarborough - Emmy award-winning anchor at WNBC-TV in New York City and author
    Brett Favre - Pro-Bowl and three-time Most Valuable Player NFL quarterback, (Retired) Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, Minnesota Vikings

University of Montana
    Monte Dolack - artist
    Jack Horner - paleontologist
    Mike Mansfield - politician
    Carroll O'Connor - actor
    Jeannette Rankin - first woman elected to House of Representatives and voted against the entry of the USA in both world wars
    James Welch - writer
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    this is fun - I like reading these

Syracuse University

Jim Brown
    Dick Clark (no really)
    Peter Falk
    Ted Koppel (cool)
    Steve Krift
    Suzanne Pleshette
    Rod Serling (my personal favorite alum)
    Jerry Stiller

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The Wiki article lists dozens of "notable" grads ranging from business leaders to poets. You've probably never heard of any of them.

The ones you probably have heard would include:

Tim Allen - comedian
    Luther Vandross - R&B musician
    John Saunders - ESPN sports announcer
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2009
    University of Illinois

Deron Williams - NBA guard for the Utah Jazz
    Dick Butkus - Hall-of-Fame NFL linebacker for the Chicago Bears; 2-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year
    Gene Hackman - Actor; won 2 Academy Awards for his roles in "The French Connection" and "Unforgiven"
    Hugh Hefner - Editor-in-chief, Playboy Enterprises
    Alan Ruck - Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    James Cantalupo - Chairman and CEO of McDonalds Corp. International
    Jean Driscoll - Eight-time Boston Marathon Winner, Wheelchair Division
    Jerry Colangelo - Former owner of the Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks
    Jesse Jackson - US Congressman; Founder, National Rainbow Coalition
    Marc Andreessen - Founder of Mosaic and Netscape, the first graphical web browsers
    Nick Holonyak, Jr. - Development and commercialization of LED technology
    Red Grange - Hall-of-Fame NFL player; part of first class of inductees for Pro and College Football Halls of Fame
    Robert L. Johnson - Founder of BETl; former owner of the Charlotte Bobcats
    Roger Ebert - Pulitzer Prize-Winning Film Critic
    Steve Chen and Jawed Karim - Co-founders of YouTube
    Suze Orman - TV and radio media financial advisor
    Doris Christopher – Chairman and founder of The Pampered Chef
    Ang Lee - Academy Award winning film director
    Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio - actress
    Donna Mills - actress (Knots Landing)
    Andy Richter - Conan's sidekick
    Casar Pelli - world-reknowned architect (i.e. Petrona Towers)
    Shahid Khan - owner of Flex-n-Gate Corp. and owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars NFL team
    Max Levchin - co-founder of Paypal

There are many more but this is a good sample.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2004
    From Trinity University - my undergrad:

Arts & Entertainment

Gibby Haynes - Lead singer of the Butthole Surfers
    Paul Leary - Member of the Butthole Surfers
    Naomi Shihab Nye - Poet, songwriter and novelist
    Jaclyn Smith - American actress and model
    Bob West - Voice of Barney, the purple dinosaur seen on PBS.
    Pedro Herrera III - Rapper and Record Executive

Sports

Todd Bender - All American skeet shooter, 3 time National Collegiate Shooting Champion
    Frank Conner - Professional golfer PGA and Champions Tour and tennis player.
    Brian Gottfried, professional tennis player.
    Jerry Grote - Former Major League Baseball player.
    Davey Johnson - former Major League Baseball player and coach
    Obert Logan - NFL safety, Dallas Cowboys, New Orleans Saints
    Chuck McKinley - Amateur tennis player, Men's Wimbledon Singles Champion in 1963, ranked No. 1 men's singles player in the world, 1963
    Anne Smith - Professional tennis player, numerous tennis Grand Slam doubles titles.
    Dick Stockton - Professional tennis player, ranked as high as No. 8 tennis player in the 70's
    Marvin Upshaw - Former NFL defensive lineman, Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, St. Louis Cardinals
    Jerheme Urban - NFL wide receiver, Seattle Seahawks, Dallas Cowboys, Arizona Cardinals, Kansas City Chiefs - First Trinity alumnus to appear in a Super Bowl
    **Trinity used to have a very highly ranked Tennis program, but then the entire sports program went D3

Government & Military
    John Cornyn - United States Senator from Texas
    Michael McCaul - Representative for Texas U.S. House District 10.
    Matt Mead - Governor of the state of Wyoming
    Dan Morales - Former Attorney General of Texas
    William K. Suter - Clerk of the United States Supreme Court and former Major General in the United States Army

Business
    Alice Walton - Forbes 400, Daughter of Walmart founder Sam Walton
    Sardar Biglari - Chairman and CEO of Biglari Holdings (NYSE Symbol: BH) and Manager of The Lion Fund
    Daniel Lubetzky - CEO of KIND Healthy Snacks. Also, founder of the PeaceWorks Foundation.
    Gavin Maloof - Co-owner of the Sacramento Kings
    Richard Yoo - Former CEO and Co-Founder of Rackspace, Former CEO and Founder of ServerBeach

All in all an impressive list. I culled out a few - we had lots of military members, and lots of former tennis players.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 1998
    The University of Iowa has a bunch!

Archie Alexander, first African-American graduate (in engineering); and, governor of the Virgin Islands
    B.J. Armstrong, former NBA point guard for the Chicago Bulls
    Tom Arnold, actor (Roseanne, True Lies) and host of Fox Sports Net's talk show, Best Damn Sports Show Period
    M. M. Ayoub, a pioneer in the field of ergonomics
    Alfred Marshall Bailey, ornithologist and long-term Director of the Denver Museum of Natural History
    Ed Banach, Light Heavyweight Olympic Gold medalist 1984 Olympic Games, Los Angeles, CA
    Lou Banach, Heavyweight Olympic Gold Medalist 1984 Olympic Games, Los Angeles, CA
    Theodore J. Bauer, former head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
    Mildred Benson, writer under penname Carolyn Keene of Nancy Drew books
    Bret Bielema, former football player and assistant coach. Now head coach of University of Wisconsin–Madison
    Sidney W. Bijou (1908–2009), developmental psychologist[1]
    Fred H. Blume, Justice of the Wyoming Supreme Court for 42 years.
    David E. Bonior, formerly representing Michigan in the United States House of Representatives, now is member of president Obama's Economic Advisory Board.
    T.C. Boyle, PEN/Faulkner award-winning writer, World's End and Drop City
    Terry Brands, Olympic Bronze medalist 2000 Olympic Games, Sydney, Australia
    Tom Brands, Olympic Gold Medalist 1996 Olympic Games Atlanta, Georgia, currently University of Iowa wrestling coach.
    Terry E. Branstad, Former and returning Governor of Iowa, and longest-tenured Governor in the nation
    Helen Brockman, fashion designer
    Tom Brokaw, broadcast journalist, former anchor NBC Nightly News, author "The Greatest Generation"
    "Downtown" Freddie Brown, former NBA guard for the Seattle SuperSonics where he was captain of the 1978-79 World Championship team.
    John Burke (politician), tenth Governor of North Dakota[2]
    Paul Burmeister, former NFL quarterback, current NFL Network anchor
    Robert Olen Butler Jr., Won the 1993 Pulitzer Prize for fiction, among other literary awards
    Jim Caldwell, head coach of Indianapolis Colts, 2009–present.
    Macdonald Carey, film and television actor (Days of our Lives)
    James Cartwright, U.S. Marine Corps General and currently the 8th Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
    Elizabeth Catlett, Acclaimed painter who studied under Grant Wood, first African American woman to earn an MFA from the University of Iowa
    Marquis Childs, Pulitzer Prize-winning commentator
    Sandra Cisneros, author "The House on Mango Street"
    Dallas Clark, tight end for the NFL's Indianapolis Colts
    Diablo Cody, Screenwriter and winner of the 2008 Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for "Juno"
    Norm Coleman, former Democratic mayor of St. Paul, former Junior Republican U.S. Senator of Minnesota.
    Max Allan Collins, Writer of the comic strip "Dick Tracy." (Chester Gould was the creator of the strip and Collins took over in 1977 when Gould retired.) Collins also writes mystery novels
    Paul Conrad, Former editorial cartoonist for the Los Angeles Times who won the Pulitzer Prize in 1964, 1971, and 1984
    Sean Considine, Safety for the Philadelphia Eagles.
    Kerry Cooks, former NFL defensive back
    Francis X. Cretzmeyer, track and field coach 1948-1978, coached Ted Wheeler and Deacon Jones (1956 and 1960 Olympics)
    Michael Cunningham, award-winning American writer/novelist, best known for his Pulitzer Prize novel The Hours
    Chuck Darling, member of the 1956 Summer Olympics gold medal basketball team.
    Barry Davis, Bantamweight Olympic Silver medalist 1984 Olympic Games, Los Angeles, CA
    Keno Davis, current men's basketball coach at Providence College
    Ricky Davis, NBA player currently with the Los Angeles Clippers
    John Derby, former NFL linebacker
    Ellen Dolan, soap opera actress in Guiding Light and As the World Turns
    Martha Angle Dorsett, the first woman admitted to the Bar of Minnesota (in 1878)
    James Dooge, Irish Senator and Academic in the area of Hydrology. Served as the Minister of Foreign Affairs in the Irish Government. Also instrumental in forming the framework of the modern European Union and beginning the debate on climate change.
    Rita Dove, 1993 Poet Laureate of the United States
    David Drake, Science fiction writer who wrote Hammer's Slammers series.
    Jeff Drost, former NFL defensive tackle
    Andre Dubus, renowned short story writer who wrote "Killings" adapted into 2001 film In the Bedroom.
    Duck's Breath Mystery Theater (Dan Coffey, Bill Allard, Merle Kessler, Leon Martrell, and Jim Turner), touring comedy troupe also featured on National Public Radio's All Things Considered
    Wayne Duke, Former and now retired Commissioner of the Big Ten Conference 1971-1989.
    Tim Dwight, former NFL player
    Acie Earl, retired professional basketball player[3]
    Rinde Eckert, singer, actor, dancer, composer, musicians, playwright. Finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Drama.
    David Eigenberg, actor that plays Steve Brady on HBO series Sex and the City
    Cal Eldred, retired Major League Baseball pitcher who played for 14 years
    Simon Estes, bass baritone opera singer, formerly of the New York Metropolitan Opera
    Dick Evans, former NFL player
    Ettore Ewen, professional wrestler for WWE
    Jeannette Eyerly, writer of young adult fiction
    Mildred Adams Fenton, geologist, palentolologist & writer on palentology
    Joshua Ferris, novelist
    Leon Festinger, social psychologist who was responsible for the theory of Cognitive dissonance.
    R. William Field, Associate Professor, College of Public Health, University of Iowa
    Tanna Frederick, stage and independent film actress
    Bruce French, actor in Mr. Mom, Legal Eagles, Fletch.
    Wesley Fry, former general manager for the Oakland Raiders
    Charles Gaines, writer, author of Pumping Iron and inventor of paintball.
    Robert Gallery, Offensive Tackle for the Oakland Raiders
    George Gallup, founder of the Gallup Poll
    Paul C. Gartzke, Presiding Judge of the Wisconsin Court of Appeals
    Mads Gilbert, European doctor in Gaza providing humanitarian care at Al-Shifa Hospital during the 2008–2009 Israel–Gaza conflict.
    Ezzat Goushegir, playwright
    Dennis Green, former NFL head coach with the Minnesota Vikings and Arizona Cardinals
    Robin Green, Emmy and Golden Globe Award winner. executive producer of the HBO series The Sopranos
    Charles Guggenheim, A Washington, D.C.—based documentary filmmaker who has won three Academy Awards and been nominated for eight others
    Joe Haldeman, science fiction writer who wrote The Forever War.
    Milo Hamilton, Sportscaster for the Iowa Hawkeyes and seven different Major League Baseball teams and recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award
    Merton Hanks, former NFL defensive back (4-time Pro Bowl selection)
    Bob Hansen, former NBA player for the Utah Jazz and Chicago Bulls, current basketball analyst for the Hawkeye Radio Network
    James E. Hansen, heads the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies and was recognized in Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People of 2006, for his efforts to bring understanding and fighting the effects of global climate change.
    Paul Harding, author of Pulitzer Prize-winning novel "Tinkers".
    Joy Harjo, poet, songwriter
    Homer Harris, a football player in 1937 who was the first African American captain of a Big Ten Conference team.
    Bruce C. Heezen, lead a team from Columbia University which mapped the Mid-Atlantic Ridge
    Jay Hilgenberg, former NFL center for Chicago Bears (seven-time Pro Bowl selection)
    Candace Hilligoss, actress in 1960 film Carnival of Souls
    Leo A. Hoegh, former Governor of Iowa and National Security Council member
    Lou Holtz, assistant football coach (1960), only football coach in NCAA history to lead six different programs to bowl games
    Chuck Horner, United States Air Force general, commanded Coalition Air Forces during the Gulf War
    L. D. Hotchkiss, editor-in-chief, Los Angeles Times
    Darrell Huff, writer who is best known for best selling book How to Lie with Statistics.
    Howard R. Hughes, Sr., father of noted aviation pioneer and film producer Howard Robard Hughes, Jr. and builder his fortune that started his empire.
    Mary Beth Hurt, actress in The World According to Garp and Interiors
    Toby Huss, actor, creator of Artie, the Strongest Man in the World from The Adventures of Pete and Pete which he created at No Shame Theatre at the university.
    John Irving, writer, A Widow for One Year and The World According to Garp
    Amy Jacobson, Chicago broadcast journalist
    Al Jarreau, Grammy Award-winning vocalist
    Wu Jin, Minister of Education of Taiwan 1996 - 1998[4]
    Denis Johnson, author of Jesus' Son
    John Johnson, former NBA player on 1978-1979 Seattle SuperSonics championship team
    Cal Jones, one of two Iowa football players to have his jersey retired and won the Outland Trophy in 1955.
    Deacon Jones, 1956 and 1960 Olympics, track and field
    Noble Jorgensen, former NBA player for the Sheboygan Red Skins, Tri-Cities Blackhawks and Syracuse Nationals
    Donald Justice, Pulitzer Prize winner for poetry
    Nate Kaeding, current NFL place kicker for the San Diego Chargers
    Harry Kalas, voice of the Philadelphia Phillies, NFL on Westwood One and NFL Films
    Aaron Kampman, current NFL defensive end for the Green Bay Packers.
    Alex Karras, actor and football player
    Marshall Kay, geologist and Penrose Medal winner
    Barry Kemp, producer of television programs Coach and Newhart (Hayden Fox, the title character of Coach, was named after Iowa football coach Hayden Fry)
    James Kennedy, professor of the history of the Netherlands at the University of Amsterdam
    Tracy Kidder, Author of The Soul of a New Machine, Among Schoolchildren, House and Old Friends
    Kerry Killinger, chairman and CEO of Washington Mutual
    Nile Kinnick, Iowa's 1939 Heisman trophy winner with Iowa's Kinnick Stadium named for him in 1972.
    W.P. Kinsella, author whose works include Shoeless Joe, the book on which Field of Dreams was based
    George Koval, Soviet intelligence officer and Hero of the Russian Federation
    Tom Krimigis, space scientist/physicist
    Allan J. Kuethe, historian of Latin America
    Ashton Kutcher, actor
    Adam LeFevre, film and television actor, playwright.
    William Lashner, author of Past Due
    Donald P. Lay, judge of the Eighth Circuit
    Minnette Gersh Lenier, teacher who used magic to improve students’ learning skills
    Randall Lewis, Featherweight Olympic Gold medalist 1984 Olympic Games, Los Angeles, CA
    E.F. Lindquist, co-founder of the ACT examination
    Brad Lohaus, former NBA player
    Chuck Long, closest ever Heisman Trophy runner-up in 1985. Now offensive coordinator at the University of Kansas
    Charles F. Lynch, Medical Director of the Iowa Cancer Registry
    Robie Macauley, novelist and editor of Playboy
    John Walter Grant MacEwan, Western Canadian icon
    Nicholas Meyer, director of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Deane Montgomery, mathematician
    Tom Moore, longtime NFL coach and offensive coordinator for the Indianapolis Colts
    Greg Morris, actor played Barney Collier in original Mission: Impossible TV Series
    Bharati Mukherjee, Bengali-American writer
    Jayaprakash Narayan, Indian freedom fighter, social reformer, politician
    Don Nelson, former NBA player for the Boston Celtics and coach for the Golden State Warriors
    Kent Norman, Cognitive Psychologist and expert on computer rage
    Flannery O'Connor, Novelist and author of numerous short stories
    Terry O'Quinn, star of movies and television including ABC's hit Lost
    Wes Obermueller, Major League Baseball pitcher
    Chris Offutt, short story writer and essayist
    Kay A. Orr, first Republican woman Governor in the United States
    John E. Osborn - Commissioner, U.S. Advisory Commission on Public Diplomacy; executive vice president and general counsel of Cephalon, Dendreon, and US Oncology
    Lara Parker, actress who played Angelique in ABC-TV serial Dark Shadows
    Clair Cameron Patterson, geochemist who developed the uranium-lead dating method into lead-lead dating, worked on the Manhattan Project, and lead early campaigns against lead poisoning.
    Gregory A. Peterson, Judge of the Wisconsin Court of Appeals
    Tappy Phillips, consumer affairs reporter for WABC-TV in New York City and correspondent for ABC News
    John Pickler, member of the United States House of Representatives[5]
    Ed Podolak, former NFL star with the Kansas City Chiefs, currently football analyst for the Hawkeye Radio Network
    Charles Ray, contemporary American artist
    W. Ann Reynolds, chancellor of the California State University and City University of New York
    Eddie Robinson, winningest coach in football history at Grambling State University from 1942 until 1997
    Reggie Roby, former NFL punter (3-time Pro Bowl Selection) for the Miami Dolphins
    Mel Rosen (born 1928), track coach
    Eugene Rousseau, internationally-known saxophonist
    Brandon Routh, actor, Superman Returns
    Coleen Rowley, shared 2002 Time "Person of the Year" award; the FBI whistleblower who helped bring in terrorist suspect Zacarias Moussaoui.
    Paul Rust, star of I Love You, Beth Cooper
    George Saling, Olympic hurdler who won the 110 meter hurdles in the 1932 Summer Olympics.
    David Sanborn, six time Grammy Award-winning saxophonist
    Bob Sanders, starting safety for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League
    Zud Schammel, former NFL guard
    Wilbur L. Schramm, founder of the Iowa Writers' Workshop and the Institute of Communications Research at Stanford University
    Jean Seberg, actress
    Joe Sharpnack, editorial cartoonist
    Jim Simmerman, poet, refused to perform the University's MFA poetry thesis reading requirement but still graduated, then stole and tore up his own MFA thesis from the library; founded the creative writing program at Northern Arizona University
    Scott Slutzker, former NFL player
    Jane Smiley, Pulitzer Prize winning American Novelist
    Clifford V. Smith, Jr., the 4th chancellor of University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee
    Mary Louise Smith, Former chair of the National Republican Committee, and former vice chair of the United States Commission on Civil Rights
    Tangela Smith, center for the WNBA Phoenix Mercury
    William De Witt Snodgrass, confessional poet and 1960 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry winner
    C. Maxwell Stanley, engineer, entrepreneur, philanthropist, founder of Stanley Consultants, The Stanley Foundation and co-founder of HON Industries.
    William A. Staples, president of the University of Houston–Clear Lake
    Larry Station, two-time All-American football player
    Wallace Stegner, author
    Stewart Stern, screenwriter who wrote scripts for Rebel Without a Cause, Sybil.
    Bob Stoops, football player and coach. Now head coach of the University of Oklahoma
    Mark Stoops, football player. Now defensive coordinator at Florida State University
    Mike Stoops, football player and coach. Now head coach of the University of Arizona
    Juanita Kidd Stout, First woman appointed as a federal judge; Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice
    Dave Strackany, musician
    Mark Strand, poet, Pulitzer Prize winner in 1999 for "A Blizzard of One"
    Jim Summerville, Tennessee Senator
    Jim Sundberg, Professional baseball catcher who played for the Texas Rangers and a number of other teams.
    Andre Tippett, Hall of Fame former NFL linebacker for the New England Patriots
    Emlen Tunnell, former NFL football player, first African American to play for the New York Giants; later played for the Green Bay Packers
    Douglas Unger, novelist and founder of UNLV's creative writing MFA program
    Oswald Veblen, mathematician
    Ted Waitt, co-founder of Gateway, Inc.
    Frank R. Wallace (pen name for Wallace Ward), 1957, entrepreneur, publisher, writer, and developer of the Neo-Tech philosophy
    Susan Werner, singer-songwriter
    Ted Wheeler, 1956 Olympics, track and field
    Hugh E. Wild, U.S. Air Force Brigadier General
    Gene Wilder, Comedic film and television actor whose credits include "Silver Streak," "Young Frankenstein," "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" and "Stir Crazy."
    Ann Williams, member of Illinois House of Representatives
    Tennessee Williams, Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright.
    David Bryan Woodside, actor who portrayed Wayne Palmer on FOX action/drama series 24
    Yu Guangzhong, Taiwanese poet and author.
    Art Reinhart, Major League Baseball pitcher from 1919-1928[6]
    Hal Manders, relief pitcher in Major League Baseball who played in 1941, 1942, and 1946[7]
    Bruce Nelson (American football), retired American football guard and center of the National Football League.[8]
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2005
    Some University of Pennsylvania Alumni of note:
    Doc Holiday
    John Legend
    Ezra Pound
    Arlen Specter
    Kwame Nkrumah

OT: Since Luckless Pedestrian mentioned Dick Clark, it turns out my parents lived in the same apartment building as him in the early 1960s when they first moved to the Philadelphia area.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Texas State alumni that I think folks outside of Texas might have actually heard of:

Politics
    Lyndon B. Johnson, 36th U.S. President (we're still the only Texas university to graduate a President)
    John Sharp, Texas A&M University System Chancellor and former State Comptroller
    Catalina Vasquez Villalpando, U. S. Treasurer during George H.W. Bush administration- attended but did not graduate.

Music
    George Strait, Country singer
    Tommy Bolton, Dan Buie, Gerry Gibson and Bill Pennington of Roy Head and The Traits, Rockabilly Hall of Fame band members
    Randy Rogers, Country singer
    Emilio Navaira, Country/Tejano singer
    Wayne Oquin, Composer/Pianist/Educator
    Kyle Park, Country singer

Theatre, television and movies
    G. W. Bailey, Actor
    Powers Boothe, Actor
    Thomas Carter, Film director
    Jesse Heiman, Actor
    Bill Paxton, Actor
    Chelcie Ross, Actor
    Tracy Scoggins, Actress

Journalism
    Heloise, Columnist
    Tomás Rivera, Writer

Sports
    Jeff Foster, NBA basketball player
    Shawn Michaels, Professional wrestler
    Lance Hoyt, Professional wrestler
    Fred Evans, NFL football player
    Spergon Wynn, NFL & CFL football player (last QB picked in the draft before Tom Brady)
    Ricky Sanders, former NFL football player
    Jeff Novak, former NFL football player
    Wade Key, former NFL football player
    Scott Linebrink, MLB pitcher
    Paul Goldschmidt, MLB first baseman
    Charles Austin, Olympic High Jump Gold Medalist at the 1996 games and current American & Olympic record holder
    Kristen Zaleski, National Pro Fastpitch Softball player

Art
    Charles Barsotti, Cartoonist for The New Yorker

Infamous
    Alexis Texas, American Pron Film actress

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2004
    Besides imaplanner, notable alumni include:

Michael Douglas
    Sean Hannity
    Jim Rome
    probably some other people
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

I kid you not!

oh and I went to high school with SpongeBob, top that, suckers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	spongebob best day ever.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	5062

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Nov 2010, 10:59 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Oct 2007, 1:48 PM
  3. Alma Maters