Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Degree in planning and their applicability across the world.

Registered
    Oct 2012

Degree in planning and their applicability across the world.

Hi Cuburbians,

I am from India and I have a Bachelor of Architecture and a Master of City Planning degree, that is accepted all over the country. So what are the possibilities that I could get a job as a planner in another country - with say, 10 years experience in India. Do you need to have different credentials for that? And to what extend is it a viable option if one thinks of making it a planner in a country different from one's own?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    That's hard to answer since it depends on a great many things. I think in general it'd be difficult to move although it's definitely not impossible. If you manage to work for an internationally focused firm or have a unique skill set, you'll probably have an easier time finding a job abroad. Then of course it depends on what country you want to work in.

Personally I think this is one of those things you have to plan ahead for. You have to choose jobs at home that'll move you toward work in another country. I don't think you'll meet with much success if you just decide after 10 years of work at some random planning job that you suddenly want to move abroad.

I know in the United States, internationally focused jobs often require international experience. That creates a conundrum in that getting international experience is difficult when no one will hire you because you don't have any. Internships and volunteering are typically what bridge this gap.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 2:06 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 2:17 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 12 May 2009, 9:38 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 29 Apr 2008, 2:19 PM
  5. PUD applicability question
    Land Use and Zoning