Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Street Musicians

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Street Musicians

There are few things that can add ambiance like music. This is true indoors and out. One of the things that I love about Chicago (mainly the loop) is there always seems to be someone performing. Most of the time it is for tips or to sell CDís, but once in a great while, it is for the enjoyment of performing. On such occasion, a saxophone player stood under the bridge at Michigan Ave away from the pedestrian traffic. There was very little chance of anyone being able to give him a tip, but the way the sound bounced of the supports of the bridge and up into the City make the streetscape become alive.

Be it a jazzy saxophone, blues trumpet, or even a bunch of guys with dowel rods playing plastic 5 gallon buckets, it seems to change the character of a place and slows people down, just for a moment, to not just pass through a place, but to experience it. With the holiday's coming up, I would be interested to see if more people will find a street corner or park bench, and pour their heart out into an instrument for all to enjoy.

What are your thoughts on street musicians? Do you have them where you live? Is there a particular time that you were arrested by the melodies created by the musical artist?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I got a guy outside my window that plays for about 2 hours during lunch. When you hear it everyday it becomes annoying.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Atlanta ordinance?

Anyone in Atlanta? I looked up your ordinance on-line, and it appears to be silent on this issue.

Presumably, if the horn case is not prominently displayed, and no verbal requests are made, and the musician is on public property, there would be no issue. Yes?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Down here, it's usually a guy in a fedora, with a turntable, and everyone under 25 running away from the scene of the crime. Not what I'd call an actual "musician".

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm not a big fan of street musicians, whether they are soliciting or not. If I want to see a performance, I'll go to a show.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Presumably, if the horn case is not prominently displayed, and no verbal requests are made, and the musician is on public property, there would be no issue. Yes?
    Here it doesn't matter if the horn case is displayed, they just can't verbally ask for contributions.

I don't have a problem with them either way. I think you could almost classify it a sign of a relatively successful downtown if you have people willing to play out on the sidewalk, whether for donations or not. I can't imagine anyone would go sit somewhere where its dead quite and no traffic, pedestrian or otherwise.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 1:51 PM
  2. Musicians and the 'badass' scale
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 20 Aug 2012, 7:58 PM
  3. Street musicians - ordinance?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Aug 2010, 9:48 PM