Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ESRI ArcGIS 10

Registered
    Mar 2007

ESRI ArcGIS 10

I came into work this morning that it had been installed onto my computer sometime over the weekend. Anybody out here in Cyburbia using it?

The look is totally different and since I doubt our organization will actually provide any training to let us know what all the new changes and capabilities are, what better place to turn that the internet?

So what say you Cyburbia? Anything interesting or particularly useful you have found with 10 as opposed to 9.3?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I'm just about to start testing it. I'm looking forward to trying out the supposedly improved 3D features and the temporal data features.

Don't forget that ESRI has some free training online:

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis10/index.html

EDIT: But, of course, all ArcGIS versions have about a bajillion features I will never use. Also, I expect that ArcGIS 10.1, which will be natively 64 bit, will be the version with real performance improvements.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I haven't used it, but saw a demo at the conference I was just at. The small summary is it has more 3D capabilities. I'd bet the ESRI website has some tuturials.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Haven't loaded it yet, as I am still afraid of what it will do to my 9.3 docs. I too am looking for any info on it, as I move forward with whether to wait until winter when things slow down, or sooner if it has some capabilities that will help my life.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004

BUGS.....

Creepy crawly bugs! At least that's what I've heard
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    That doesn't sound like anything new over the old versions of their software unfortunately.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2009
    ESRI is providing free GIS 10 seminars all over the country, and free lunch is included!!! I am attending the October 21st free seminar in Honolulu (I suggest you convince your bosses that THIS is the seminar you must attend as well - of course, since they are offered all over the country, it will be a hard sell).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I'm using it.... despite my better judgement to wait for a couple of months until they came out with the first patch. It is buggy, and I'm waiting to update the remaining GIS users in my muni until the first patch is out. I should have known better, but thought maybe they'd do better this time. It's not always a problem, but sometimes the find function seems to take a long time, and it's crashed a few times on me. Not nearly as much as 9 before that one was patched.

I watched one of the ESRI tutorials where one of the viewers asked the question on if it was backwards compatible to 9. The guy said it was, but I don't remember exactly how, and I need to look into that soon. It's not immediately apparent like you get in Word, for example, to save it back a version.

Be careful if you're editing layers other users rely on. We've made a few zoning map changes, and I did them on a coworker's machine in 9.3. If you edit and save in 10, they're not visible in 9 (from what I've been able to find... sure there's a way, but it was just easier to use the old system).

C'mon patch......

As far as the actual program, I'll like it better than 9.3 when it's all straightened out. The editing interface is a bit different, and the table of contents is more like CAD. The data driven pages function is a pretty useful tool that I've used already to create a custom mapbook for our assessor.

Having Catalog built right in is also nice, but I'm still stuck in the old school mindset of having a seperate Catalog application running alongside.

Long story short, it will be good in the long run. I would wait until the first patch comes out though. I haven't had a chance to really explore it because I haven't had any intense GIS projects come along.

Here are a few free seminars - http://training.esri.com/gateway/ind...&search=Search

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    ESRI is providing free GIS 10 seminars all over the country, and free lunch is included!!! I am attending the October 21st free seminar in Honolulu (I suggest you convince your bosses that THIS is the seminar you must attend as well - of course, since they are offered all over the country, it will be a hard sell).
    Good call! I see one coming up in a few weeks in East Lansing, MI so maybe I'll suggest that one on the off chance that my request for a day trip to Honolulu doesn't get approved.

Registered
    Sep 2010

"Save A Copy" and Data Driven Pages

BrianDVD - In ArcGIS 10 you can save your MXD to earlier versions (as far back in 8.3 if you need) by using the "Save a Copy" (not "Save As") command and then using the pulldown to select the version.

I just finished user group meetings in Big Island and Maui and the Data Driven Pages are a big hit. There's a free web class (one hour video, two hour exercise) that will introduce you to ArcGIS 10 and Data Driven Pages. Here's a link:http://bit.ly/cnHLgj

Full disclosure: I work for Esri and as part of my job support many planners in using GIS. Just joined Cyburbia and hope to contribute where I can.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by rajhawaii View post
    BrianDVD - In ArcGIS 10 you can save your MXD to earlier versions (as far back in 8.3 if you need) by using the "Save a Copy" (not "Save As") command and then using the pulldown to select the version.

I just finished user group meetings in Big Island and Maui and the Data Driven Pages are a big hit. There's a free web class (one hour video, two hour exercise) that will introduce you to ArcGIS 10 and Data Driven Pages. Here's a link:http://bit.ly/cnHLgj

Full disclosure: I work for Esri and as part of my job support many planners in using GIS. Just joined Cyburbia and hope to contribute where I can.
    Welcome to Cyburbia, and thanks for the reply. It's good to have an ESRI representative contributing.

Is it possible to save an individual feature class back as well?

Any word on when the first service pack is coming out to fix a few of these bugs?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Welcome RajHawaii and thanks for posting the link to that tutorial. I am going to go through it this afternoon. I am really interested in the "Map Series" functionality. I tried using the Map Book software but never was given any real instruction and it definitely was not intuitive so hopefully this will help out.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The disks are sitting on the edge of my desk. I have been afraid to open them, but know I will soon need to load it on my computer.

I learned GIS back in the days of programming in AML, and then hardly touched it from the mid-90's until recently. Now with my own company I needed to provide a certain level of GIS capability. I settled on ArcMap as the most cost-effective solution. The only thing it is missing that I would use often is Network Analyst. It sure would be nice to be able to produce drive time maps. I don't suppose that will be added in 10.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    The GIS Director is using 10.
    She has not installed it on my current machine because we think it will bog it down. I get a new machine at the beginning of the year. Then they will install it.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My take after loading it last week...

buggy as crap. Lots and lots of bugs. It reminds me of the jump from 3 to 8

integrated catalog is a plus.

I generally like the new editor interface, though it takes some getting used to.

The usual issues of ESRI moving things around.

I few things that weren't broke got fixed anyway... for the worse.

Overall, the program will be an improvement. I suspect we will see another upgrade soon or one hell of a massive patch.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    This morning was the first time I really used ArcMap for anything since loading 10 onto my computer.

Can you say RESOURCE HOG??

Built in ArcCatalog was nice but I don't think there's a way to preview metadata in there, but I'm still experimenting of course.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Good call! I see one coming up in a few weeks in East Lansing, MI so maybe I'll suggest that one on the off chance that my request for a day trip to Honolulu doesn't get approved.
    I'll save you a seat just in case

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I did the free ESRI training for "Increasing Productivity with ArcGIS 10" yesterday and found it to be a really good seminar... especially for the price.

There was no hands on work which was sort of disappointing but I knew that going in. They provided a quick overview of a lot of the new and improved features and they move very quickly through them but they give you links to watch a lot of the same demonstrations online afterwards.

The worse part of the seminar was watching how fast their computer rendered their maps and models. It just showed how woefully inadequate my computer at work is! Oh well... I'm scheduled for an upgrade sometime this winter.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Yes the "Increased Productivity.." seminar was great!!! I completely agree. Attended the seminar here in Honolulu yesterday and left it very excited about finally installing 10 at work.

Some of the new features will make everyday use much less irritating - like the search tools and the automatically-hiding TOCs. It will be fun to play around with some of their new imagery tools as well.

Plus, the food was excellent!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I have used it heavily while creating graphics for an EA. I think it's a huge step up on a few different areas:

1. ArcCatalog in a window not a separate application.
    2. Editor tools in ArcMap are more sophisticated.
    3. I can just use Bing maps or other online aerials instead of fumbling around with rasters. However, I can't change color and contrast with those images. To make up for "some" of these disparities, I will create a feature class, drop it into ArcMap, edit it, create a giant polygon where I can adjust the color and transparency, save it, stop edits, and shuffle it in the right order in the Table of Contents.

However, adjusting colors and fills are still annoying. You STILL have to go through 5-6 different windows to make changes. Exploding labels as annotation groups is still annoying. I am also using web-based servers, which are often just GIANT image files that can't be clipped or exported and are often statewide or nationwide images, so they take FOREVER to move around in.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Overall, I'm liking the new interface and some of the new options (like the seach bar in the symbol selector - NICE!). Definitely in need of a patch/fix for the crashing issue. Last week we started keeping a log of the machine and frequency of error messages/crashes, and we were over 50. Then again, I can never tell if it's really ESRI or our servers. My mantra: save now, save often.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    3. I can just use Bing maps or other online aerials instead of fumbling around with rasters. However, I can't change color and contrast with those images.
    If you use one of ESRI's basemaps, this should solve that problem. Go to http://resources.arcgis.com/ and navigate to your project site in "community basemaps". You can even save different versions of your aerial as data for your personal account and set the privacy so that only you can access it. I haven't installed 10 yet, so my knowledge is based off information obtained at the seminar; however, they demonstrated this function.

Also, if you set your aerial as a "basemap" layer in your project file, rather than simply as a data layer, you should be able to span large areas without the map having to reload as you move around, making moving around on the map much faster.

Registered
    Jun 2008
    Arc10 is nice and if new to GIS it is relatively user friendly especially with the new editing functionality, but until they come out with SP1 it is very buggy and can be a whipping. It is a memory hog so you need a newer computer.
    There are some differences but with a little tinkering I think one will find it to be a nice solid upgrade, except of course the bugs still being worked out.
    Save often!!!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I've been creating some project files in 10 that I now need to share with a group of people. Does anyone know if the .mxd files will automatically upload the basemaps I am using from esri? Or do I need to prompt the user to add the basemap?

Also some users are still working with 9, so obviously they won't be able to view the basemap layer. I'm assuming then that I will have to direct them to an appropriate file.

How have other users been tackling these issues?

Registered
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I've been creating some project files in 10 that I now need to share with a group of people. Does anyone know if the .mxd files will automatically upload the basemaps I am using from esri? Or do I need to prompt the user to add the basemap?

Also some users are still working with 9, so obviously they won't be able to view the basemap layer. I'm assuming then that I will have to direct them to an appropriate file.

How have other users been tackling these issues?
    The new base map is new for Arc10, so not compatible with Arc9, with 9 you could link to some web services. To use an MXD created in 10 you will need to save as down to 9.x or whatever level other users are mashing away at.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS ESRI UC 2013
    Information Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2012, 8:14 AM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last post: 01 Feb 2011, 2:16 PM
  3. GIS: Manifold or ESRI
    Information Technology
    Replies: 13