Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First world problems

Registered
    Feb 2004

First world problems

Just got subjected to a 15 minute tirade from a......gentleman....who recently got his variance request denied and now cannot add a third garage stall to his 2,700 sq ft lake home. His face was turning red and I thought he was going to have an aneurism or a heart attack he got so worked up. He started out trying to get my sympathy but I confess all I could think to myself at the time was 'must be nice to have problems of this nature'.

I'm positive, however, that I'm guilty of sins along those same lines. It occurs to me I was kvetching earlier about having Thanksgiving leftovers yet again, and in the scope of things that's not the kind of thing a typical resident of say Chad is going to be worried about, is it?

So have you heard any good First World Problems lately?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I was stressing yesterday whether I should buy an extra set of shoes that were 40% off. I'm normally one of those people that just wear a single pair of shoes into the ground, so having an extra pair is kind of a new concept for me. The deciding factor was that they were waterproof and I didn't really have any winter shoes beyond snow boots.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I asked a hot shot attorney friend if Sandy affected his property and he said "oh yes, it blew the cover off my pool and hot tub!" - I responded with firstworldproblems#

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I drove to 3 target stores in my metro area... None of them had a boy Elf on the Shelf. I even called ahead for the last one and the computer said that they had 22 in stock... the computer was wrong. I was very calm and nice to the person who assisted me as I realized it was not their fault that the computer only updates once every 24 hours.

This morning I almost got clipped by a police car that was not paying attention. He was on his cell phone and changed lanes without looking or signaling.

Last night at the gym, I had to wait 5 minutes to get onto a treadmill and 'my' seat in the sauna was occupied by some old guy who did not look healthy enough to be in there.

This morning I forgot to add cinnamon and nutmeg to the coffee grounds before I started the fresh pot. So much for my Christmas blend today!

**** On the other hand, my wife and I watched a movie which ended at 11:30 pm on Sunday night... then she got called into work to assist with a heart transplant at midnight and did not get home until 1pm the next day. Oh she also got called into work on Thanksgiving... twice.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    My smart phone isn't very cool or hip or smart.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Just got subjected to a 15 minute tirade from a......gentleman....who recently got his variance request denied and now cannot add a third garage stall to his 2,700 sq ft lake home. His face was turning red and I thought he was going to have an aneurism or a heart attack he got so worked up. He started out trying to get my sympathy but I confess all I could think to myself at the time was 'must be nice to have problems of this nature'.

I'm positive, however, that I'm guilty of sins along those same lines. It occurs to me I was kvetching earlier about having Thanksgiving leftovers yet again, and in the scope of things that's not the kind of thing a typical resident of say Chad is going to be worried about, is it?

I once was working on a project where the property owner wanted to conbstruct a very large house on a steep mountainous parcel that had been created with a building envelope to protect slope stability and erosion. Building in some areas would have harmed downslope properties. The building envelope would have still allowed for at least 2,500 sf. We told him he could not build outside of the approved building envelope and he got so angry that he hung up on me. I found out later he died of a heart attack right after the phone call we had.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My bank (credit union) closes at 4:30 on week days. How am I to get my money if I need large withdraws? The ATM only let's me take out $600 at a time?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I once was working on a project where the property owner wanted to conbstruct a very large house on a steep mountainous parcel that had been created with a building envelope to protect slope stability and erosion. Building in some areas would have harmed downslope properties. The building envelope would have still allowed for at least 2,500 sf. We told him he could not build outside of the approved building envelope and he got so angry that he hung up on me. I found out later he died of a heart attack right after the phone call we had.
    Wow! Killed a guy. All I've ever managed was to make someone cry.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I found out later he died of a heart attack right after the phone call we had.
    Not to one up you, but... We had a local resident that came to most meetings to loudly complain about something, and it was usually about my department. He got up right behind me, started his tirade, and dropped over dead. I was going to start CPR, but there were two paramedics in the room, so I just cleared the area. They worked on him for almost an hour before taking him away, and then, for real, the mayor re-convened the meeting.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I asked a hot shot attorney friend if Sandy affected his property and he said "oh yes, it blew the cover off my pool and hot tub!" - I responded with firstworldproblems#
    I just can't relate to that kind of problem.

Or your response.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I'm thinking that I'll "have" to see The Hobbit in the theater twice... once to see if it's ok for my son to see it (he doesn't get easily scared by movies but he's still only 4 1/2) and then most likely again to take him. I'm not really complaining about this problem, though.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Not to one up you, but... We had a local resident that came to most meetings to loudly complain about something, and it was usually about my department. He got up right behind me, started his tirade, and dropped over dead. I was going to start CPR, but there were two paramedics in the room, so I just cleared the area. They worked on him for almost an hour before taking him away, and then, for real, the mayor re-convened the meeting.
    Craziness. Who could sit through a meeting after witnessing that?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I sometimes struggle with selecting the proper wine to compliment the main course. It's not a perfect science.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Public Sector Planners complaining: I work a VERY long 37.5 hours a week, and THEN I have to take time out of my evenings every 2-3 weeks to....sit...and listen...and take notes...and occasionally speak...all the way until 830 or 9pm.

BTW, I am pulling an all-nighter tonight designing an 800 acre subdivision for a developer.
    Last edited by nrschmid; 27 Nov 2012 at 7:51 PM.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Public Sector Planners complaining: I work a VERY long 37.5 hours a week, and THEN I have to take time out of my evenings every 2-3 weeks to....sit...and listen...and take notes...and occasionally speak...all the way until 830 or 9pm.

BTW, I am pulling an all-nighter tonight designing an 800 acre subdivision for a developer.
    Great....don't forget the 'loops and lollipops'.....
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Facebook won't [fill in the blank] or
    My smartphone won't [fill in the blank]
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Craziness. Who could sit through a meeting after witnessing that?
    We were kind of stunned, too.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Boy, it was such a DRAG going back to work yesterday knowing I have to work three days this week after having 5 days off in a row (3 of which were paid), before having another 3 days off this weekend. And I have ALL these Christmas lights still to be put up on my house.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    My wife tipped me off to this site: http://whitewhine.com/

Its billed as "A Collection of Fist-World Problems." Mostly obnoxious Facebook posts that the author then replies to on the site. Some of it is pretty funny.

Sample:
    “I finally get a night off from work and I’m spending it car shopping which is more stressful than being at work – at R&H motor Cars Mercedes-Benz.”

The worst part is when you can afford every car in the Benz dealership, its so hard to choose!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Really? This is your first world problem? Sounds more like another opportunity for you to bash on others to me. And frankly, what you've just described sounds like an easy week to me. A work week of 37.5 hours?! Gads no! A meeting that runs all the way to 8:30 or 9:00?! The horror!

I've worked both public and private, so I know the difference. And honestly, one of the really shitty parts of working the public side is having to deal with people like you...

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Really? This is your first world problem? Sounds more like another opportunity for you to bash on others to me. And frankly, what you've just described sounds like an easy week to me. A work week of 37.5 hours?! Gads no! A meeting that runs all the way to 8:30 or 9:00?! The horror!

I've worked both public and private, so I know the difference. And honestly, one of the really shitty parts of working the public side is having to deal with people like you...
    Uh...you realize this was not nrschmid's sentiment, yes? It was a comment on people who complain about those things. That's why its posted here. I think you are on the same page here...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    My wrist attached to the hand that move my computer's mouse at work, lets me play Warcraft at home, and plays with my Samsung smartphone is sore, could be early stages of carpal tunnel syndrome.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Uh...you realize this was not nrschmid's sentiment, yes? It was a comment on people who complain about those things. That's why its posted here. I think you are on the same page here...
    No, not people who complain about it... public sector planners who complain about it. The only ones that work under 40 are hourly and get paid for the work they do in that manner. I don't know many "go to meeting" planners that aren't salaried. But hey, since I'm in that whiny public sector, let me share a few calls of late about first world problems.

- The lady who wants me to "just come pave her street" that has about a half dozen trips a day.
    - For that matter, the anonymous guy who complains about poor street and his taxes, with no clue about the correlation.
    - The smarmy developer that thinks the city should "partner" with him and put in mains to the development.
    - The knothead who can't understand why a 15mm sewer plant will raise his sewer rate.
    - A guy so stupid he cannot fathom (pun intended) why the culvert by his property doesn't drain when the creek is flooded.
    - The person who calls bitching about the neighbor letting the dog poop on her lawn that refuses to swear out a complaint.
    - The people who want me to maintain a cemetery the city doesn't own!

And yeah, this is just so far this week. I think I'd trade that for a quiet all nighter designing a subdivision...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Reading that reminded me of a guy who called me a few months back just to complain how incompetent the DOT was in regards to road signage. He had apparently reported 300+ signs and was wondering why the DOT was ignoring him. Of course this guy was OCD and most rational people would have found nothing wrong with 98% of the signs he had reported. He would just complain about things like the directional arrows on exit signs being a few degrees off or how the directional prefixes on streets were incorrect.

Registered
    May 2004

First world problems

Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Problems when I try to PM someone
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Nov 2010, 9:45 PM
  2. Gallery problems?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Feb 2008, 12:02 AM
  3. Replies: 0