Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Michigander

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Ask a Michigander

AIB Maister (who is one himself)

Go ahead. Ask us anything. Ten-centers, Stroh's, "pop," the hand-map thing, Yoopers...

Registered
    Apr 2006
    If you all Michigan like it so much why are there so many Michiganers in Arizona and Florida? When I wear a Detroit Tigers hat its like I put a billboard on asking people to tell me which part of Michigan they are from.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    If you all Michigan like it so much why are there so many Michiganers in Arizona and Florida? When I wear a Detroit Tigers hat its like I put a billboard on asking people to tell me which part of Michigan they are from.
    I can answer that one, jobs and weather.

Can you find pasties any place besides the UP and the very northern part of the Lower Pennisula?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I can answer that one, jobs and weather.
    Also retirees who want to get away, and lean towards existing pods so they can talk about where they're from, the jobs, the weather, all the back-home stuff.

Can you find pasties any place besides the UP and the very northern part of the Lower Pennisula?
    Frozen, in the freezer at many grocery stores. Albie's distributes. also, I have seen them on various restaurant menus.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    What's up with the pure Michigan ads? Couldn't your PR department think of something better? I mean come on..what's pure about it?
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Also retirees who want to get away, and lean towards existing pods so they can talk about where they're from, the jobs, the weather, all the back-home stuff.

Frozen, in the freezer at many grocery stores. Albie's distributes. also, I have seen them on various restaurant menus.
    In Michigan they sell those little things that cover up nipples at grocery stores???? Frozen???? That's very interesting and makes the Great Lakes region seem much more exotic to me than before.

I've heard people talk about "Minnesota Nice". Is there any similar sort of cultural trait in Michigan?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    What's up with the pure Michigan ads? Couldn't your PR department think of something better? I mean come on..what's pure about it?
    Could be worse... "say yes to michigan"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    A sincere question.

It seems like the percentage of Michiganders that are avid sportsmen -- into fishing, hunting, and the like -- is much higher than surrounding states, even though the "wild" areas of the state really don't seem much more prevalent than other Great Lakes or Midwestern states. Why are Michiganders collectively so enthusiastic about offing anything with fins, wings or tails?

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2006
    You can in the Phoenix metro area:

http://www.cornishpastyco.com/index.html
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Why are Michiganders collectively so enthusiastic about offing anything with fins, wings or tails?
    It's the Ted Nugent effect

Registered
    Mar 2004
    How accurate are Da Yoopers' songs?

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    What the heck is a ten center? a bowling alley?

Yes there are stores throughout metropolitan Detroit that sell pasties.

Michigan has a lot of hunters and fishermen because it has a lot of natural resources. It has more water than just about anywhere else which helps fishing. It also has a lot of primative areas that foster birds and large game.

I like the pure Michigan ads, particularly the parodies.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Kz6Rw99Kk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mknP9XvHhuM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMtE4LWmAtM

Yooper songs? Accurate for some, but not everyone.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2010
    AIB Maister (who is one himself)

Go ahead. Ask us anything. Ten-centers, Stroh's, "pop," the hand-map thing, Yoopers...

I would like confirmation of the existence of the "Jackpine Savage". Elders from the past have told me stories of a rare breed of wild people in the upper peninsula, essentially the northern Michigan version of those who have left the rat-race of life and instead embraced a life in the woods full time (who are commonly referred to as "Jackpine Savages"). Is this myth a reality? Or is it simply an offensive stereotype that Chicago folk use when referencing Michigan?

...This is actually an honest question.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I have met die hard Bears, Vikings and Packers fans but I have yet to met one Lions fan....and I lived in Michigan for two years. Why is that?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I have met die hard Bears, Vikings and Packers fans but I have yet to met one Lions fan....and I lived in Michigan for two years. Why is that?
    Because they have sucked for a long, long time. They are the Cubs of the NFL
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2009

Sacramento used to have a great shop on...J St IIRC. Yum.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    The Pure Michigan ads have proven to be wildly successful for tourism. The State is actually going to expand the Pure Michigan brand and start using it to attract businesses and residents.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Nothing constructive to add so far other than to say that I have been brought up on the Michigan kool-aid. I absolutely love this state and can't imagine living anywhere else.

Registered
    May 2004

Never heard of it

Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    I would like confirmation of the existence of the "Jackpine Savage". Elders from the past have told me stories of a rare breed of wild people in the upper peninsula, essentially the northern Michigan version of those who have left the rat-race of life and instead embraced a life in the woods full time (who are commonly referred to as "Jackpine Savages"). Is this myth a reality? Or is it simply an offensive stereotype that Chicago folk use when referencing Michigan?

...This is actually an honest question.
    By now I should be aware of all the traditional tales and rumors; this one is new to me. Probably similar to Yoopers calling the downstaters "fudgies."

Registered
    Feb 2004
    (Damn! I accidentally edited your post instead of responding to it! Sorry. Dan)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004

Michigan ten cent deposit

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    What the heck is a ten center? a bowling alley?

Someone needs to do a bike ride near the state line, and notice the contrast. Our ten-cent bottle deposit law is one of the reasons I'm here. Seriously. I tried other states, returned in part due to our cleaner roadways.

When the bill took effect in the late 70s, folks stopped pitching empty beer and pop (soft drink) containers out the car window, and that behavior extended to other trash.

I once had fun taking an Oh-o friend to the "whoomper" machine. Was cashing in the office containers since no one else wanted to bother. He had never redeemed a deposit container. Went to Kroger and stood there with a garbage bag full, and he enjoyed the experience. (I did the other two bags, as the thrill was gone.)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I've heard people talk about "Minnesota Nice". Is there any similar sort of cultural trait in Michigan?
    The state's tourism bureau would probably say otherwise, but not really. We're not known as being a particularly hospitable people. Just calling it like I see it.

I once had fun taking an Oh-o friend to the "whoomper" machine. Was cashing in the office containers since no one else wanted to bother. He had never redeemed a deposit container. Went to Kroger and stood there with a garbage bag full, and he enjoyed the experience. (I did the other two bags, as the thrill was gone.)
    yeah, that 'thrill' does tend to dissipate rather quickly now, doesn't it?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Michigan seems to be a real hotbed for citizen militias and other types of right-wing survivalist groups. Of all the media reports I've seen on these groups (which range from gun-loving-but-relatively-stable to downright deranged) I would venture to guess that 90% of the time the group is based in Michigan. I suspect Michigan's geography and rugged/outdoors culture has a lot to do with this, but it's not like Michigan's neighbors are much different in this respect. Why is Michigan such a favored place for these groups and not say, WI, PA, WV, KY, or even TX for that matter?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Michigan seems to be a real hotbed for citizen militias and other types of right-wing survivalist groups. Of all the media reports I've seen on these groups (which range from gun-loving-but-relatively-stable to downright deranged) I would venture to guess that 90% of the time the group is based in Michigan. I suspect Michigan's geography and rugged/outdoors culture has a lot to do with this, but it's not like Michigan's neighbors are much different in this respect. Why is Michigan such a favored place for these groups and not say, WI, PA, WV, KY, or even TX for that matter?
    My guess is there are probably no more militia kooks here than the other places you named. The perception was propagated by the media in the wake of a high profile event - Timothy McVeigh & the Oklahoma City bombing - a state of affairs not helped by the (very real) popularity of firearms 'round these here parts (cuz if you own a gun you MUST also be a nut, right?).

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    A healthy percentage of those tourist $ spent at fishing lodges, marinas, and sporting goods stores are internally generated. During the 1950's through the 1970's a cottage culture also emerged where a newly emergent middle class comprised of formerly lower class (the traditional proponents of hunting and fishing) blue collar automotive workers acquired enough affluence where they could now afford 'a cabin up north' to go hunt, fish, and play at on weekends further reinforcing the importance of those activities to the state's economy.

never heard of it. Sounds like a stereotype used by FIP's
    Since I am one of those trashy, formerly blue collar types who are barely middle class cottage owners of which maister speaks, who owns a cottage near an actively managed jackpine forest, I can tell you I have never heard of this Savage. Jackpine forests are being managed to increase the population of the Kirkland Warbler. The only savage known to the forest is the cowbird who eats the Warbler eggs and replaces them with her own.

So the ten center is slang for the bottle return place near the front of grocery stores? I have never liked those, always nasty buggers. I generally bring my bottles back once a year as they seem so dirty! hmm TEN CENT'er? LOL now I am clueless. Yeah I remember when the current bottle law was enacted and how much cleaner the place looks now. We need to expand it to juice and water bottles!

Michigan is home of so many militia groups due to our proximity to Canada. One day they will take one too many of our good paying jobs and it will be curtains for em! Ever see Canadian Bacon? It was written and produced by one of them you know.... Michael Moore!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 9:40 PM