Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Michigander

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Since I am one of those trashy, formerly blue collar types who are barely middle class cottage owners of which maister speaks, who owns a cottage near an ....
    I said 'formerly' lower class, but there are notable exceptions. After all, you can take a factory rat out of the gutter but you can never completely take the gutter ou......
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I can answer that one, jobs and weather.

Can you find pasties any place besides the UP and the very northern part of the Lower Pennisula?
    There's a pasty place here in Appleton, WI, too.

Mike

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    As a Michigander in economic exile, I can say it is a great (Lakes) state that is beautiful.

The "Pure Michigan" campaign is great and infinitely better than the one that proceeded it "Michigan-Dot.org". That campaign was terrible. And I heard it way too much when living in Chicagoland between 2002 and 2010 (which was/is a major market for MI tourism ad dollars).

I still consider myself a Michigander and can be the Cyburbia resident NE Lower Pennisula expert (born and raised in Alpena on Lake Huron).

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    There's a pasty place here in Appleton, WI, too.

Mike
    Well that's because northern WI is enthic cousins with the UP.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Some of us are old enough to remember when Michigan was the Water-Winter Wonderland.

Click image for larger version

Name:	www.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	5065
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    We shoot things so we don't hit them with our trucks. We also start hunter's safety programs in 6 and 7 grade.

People move to FL or AZ because they have sunshine, we don't

Da Yoopers songs are 99% correct if you live in DA UP.

They have pasty replicas in many places of Michigan, but if you want an authentic pasty, you need to go to one of the towns along M-28 or US-41 in Da UP.

We have so many militias because we hate OHIO so much more since we lost the battle of Toledo. Granted the Michigan ended up with the better deal, but we don't like to loose anything.

It is called "Pure Michigan" because the "Our mitten will slap you upside the head of you don't visit" campaign was not successful. We also thought about "More lakes than MN" but that did not fly either. It also has something to do with being surrounded by 4 of the 5 great lakes, the largest concentration of freshwater lakes in the world.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    They have pasty replicas in many places of Michigan, but if you want an authentic pasty, you need to go to one of the towns along M-28 or US-41 in Da UP.
    I think there's some truth to this. True you can get Albie's anywhere, but I have to say the very best pasties I've eaten were on the other side of the bridge....not saying the others south of the bridge were bad by any means - such as the ones you get at Cunningham's, just that the very best are actually found in the yoopee. [full disclosure: I've had pasties at home dozens of times, but have had them at restaurants in various locations in the state maybe only a half dozen times]
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Bottle bill syntax

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    ...So the ten center is slang for the bottle return place near the front of grocery stores?
    Nope, that's the whoomper (onomatopoeic).

This is a ten-center.

I picked up that noun when riding on Pleasant Lake Rd (it is) west of A2. A kid and his grandad were poking through the roadside vegetation. "We're collecting ten-centers," the man explained.

Yeah I remember when the current bottle law was enacted and how much cleaner the place looks now. We need to expand it to juice and water bottles!
    Indeed.

All about our bottle bill (language)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I loves me a good pasty, and I'm sure the Michigan variant is probably good, but if you want an authentic Cornish Pasty one would need to go to Cornwall (UK). Just sayin'

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Some of us are old enough to remember when Michigan was the Water-Winter Wonderland.

Attachment 5065
    Vel, sad thing is I know all too well where Pleasant Lake Rd is! I have been working here too long!

Michigan still is WWW! Don't click this link you will find yourself wasting hours of time!

http://waterwinterwonderland.com/
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2006

EPA says we don't need no stinking Badger

Manitowoc to Ludington connection might go away.

Answer me this, Michiganders: Where is Jimmy Hoffa?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Because they have sucked for a long, long time. They are the Cubs of the NFL
    So you are saying that Michiganders are fair weather fans...I get it. If they were the Cubs of the NFL then there would be Lions fans all over the place.

So what is the deal with Faygo?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    So what is the deal with Faygo?

This is the deal.
    Just keeping it real.

And this.

More explanation would simply add further confusion to the issue. That and we really don't like to talk about it very much.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    More explanation would simply add further confusion to the issue. That and we really don't like to talk about it very much.
    Your response might lead some to believe that Faygo is for Gayfo.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Your response might lead some to believe that Faygo is for Gayfo.
    I saw ICP... What is it with MI, what do you guys live in, like 2005 or something? Is their a reason MI isn't hip yet?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    I saw ICP...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I saw ICP... What is it with MI, what do you guys live in, like 2005 or something? Is their a reason MI isn't hip yet?
    I am embarrassed to say they are from the same town as me. Though Ted Nugent, Bob Segar, the MC5, Iggy Pop, Mitch Ryder, and a bevy of Motown Acts all played and lived in my hood when I was a bit older than a Toddler. Ted at times is probably more embarrassing than ICP though.

So I guess we were hip, but it was probably sometime around 1972, not 2005!

For the record, the Lions have tons of fans. They are just ashamed to wear their gear outside the confines of the Mitten.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Is their a reason MI isn't hip yet?
    WTF?!!

Hello, have you seen the Chrysler ads? Eminem... Clint Eastwood... it's halftime in America and you know Detroit is still making the shit you buy. At least we're not California where we elect entertainment goons such as Ron Reagan and Arnold Schartzenneager or political has-beens such as Jerry Brown. We were cutting budgets and slashing programs way before CA ever thought of doing it. And you know it's not hip when California isn't first in line.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    We got 'em in New York, too, but it's just 5 cents.

The machine at a local supermarket/restaurant supply hybrid store -- the place is hard to describe -- takes cans, and glass and plastic bottles, all in one hole. It's the only all-in-one machine I've seen anywhere, and it's awesome.

A few supermarkets in New York have RVMs which reject containers of products that aren't sold at the store. No Middle Ages Double Wailing Wench Ale on the shelves? No nickel for you! Are some "whoompers" in Michigan picky too? How do they deal with cans from Ohio? (Pennsylvania is the only state bordering New York without a bottle bill, and deposit fraud isn't an issue; there's no major population centers along the border; Erie is about 20 miles from the Ne York state line, and Binghamton is about 10 miles from a mostly rural part of Pennsylvania.)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

The machine at a local supermarket/restaurant supply hybrid store -- the place is hard to describe -- takes cans, and glass and plastic bottles, all in one hole. It's the only all-in-one machine I've seen anywhere, and it's awesome.

A few supermarkets in New York have RVMs which reject containers of products that aren't sold at the store. No Middle Ages Double Wailing Wench Ale on the shelves? No nickel for you! Are some "whoompers" in Michigan picky too? How do they deal with cans from Ohio? (Pennsylvania is the only state bordering New York without a bottle bill, and deposit fraud isn't an issue; there's no major population centers along the border; Erie is about 20 miles from the Ne York state line, and Binghamton is about 10 miles from a mostly rural part of Pennsylvania.)
    When the bottle bill was first enacted, everyplace had human counters. It was possible to bring in a cardboard case pack from your favorite pop, with some furrin' cans hidden inside. Then they wised up, and began removing cans from the boxes.

Presently there's a state law prohibiting cashing in external containers. Today there was a news report about a district court deciding that our fair state was impeding commerce by requiring a special Mich-redeemable container. (A bottler in Toledo might ship north, but those containers had to be marked just for us.) "Requires a machine-readable state-specific mark to be printed on most beverage containers indicating to RVMs whether the container is redeemable; increases penalties for fraudulent redemption."

In Michigan, the only state with a dime deposit, less than 5 percent of containers sold are not redeemed. In other states, the return rates range from 61 percent to 90 percent.... distributors and bottlers are required to turn over all or a portion of unclaimed deposits to the state. The unclaimed deposits are said to “escheat” to the state, in much the same way that abandoned property escheats to the state when there are no heirs to claim or take ownership of it. Michigan escheats 75 percent of unclaimed deposits, and distributes the other 25 percent to retailers as a way to offset their handling costs. ...
    A note about escheats: Escheat is a common law doctrine that transfers the property of a person who dies without heirs to the state. The escheat law ensures that property is not left in limbo without recognized ownership.

In 2011, unclaimed (abandoned) deposits amounted to approximately $104 million in New York, $33.5 million in Massachusetts and $17.8 million in Michigan.

Source: http://www.bottlebill.org/about/unclaimed.htm

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011

Pretty sure NJ doesn't have one either.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Yes, we have lots of lakes, streams, and woodlands; there are many great places to hunt and fish in Michigan. But quite honestly that's the case with many other states too. The difference here is that there is a concerted effort on our part to promote the outdoor sports culture both internally and abroad. During the Great Depression the state was in big trouble as its economic maintstays - the automotive, mining, and agriculture industries - were devastated. The state govt. searched for other ways the state could make money and hit upon the idea that because of the abundant lakes and woods we could bill the state as "the sportsman's paradise" to attract tourism dollars.
    That seems to make a lot of sense. Interesting that it affected the culture of the state in a way. New York has the same abundance of lakes, shoreline, wilderness areas, and so on, with generally hilly topography (outside of the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area) and the Adirondack Park as a bonus, but it never really fostered the sportsman culture. Instead, they took a more New England-ish approach, focusing on scenic beauty, hiking and camping, and so on. There's the odd school district where the first day of deer season is a holiday, but generally the sportsman lifestyle isn't part of the state's collective culture.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Have there ever been proposals to add (automatic?) inflation adjustments to the deposit amounts in those states with them? I would think that for Michigan, adjusted for inflation, that deposit should be at least 50¢ by now.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Why are coney dogs so popular in Michigan? Any why are all they other menu items greek food?...and don't tell me that all the Coney Dog restaurants are owned by Greeks so they add their own food...I know greeks who own Mexican restaurants and I cannot get gyro meat in my tacos.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Why are coney dogs so popular in Michigan? Any why are all they other menu items greek food?...and don't tell me that all the Coney Dog restaurants are owned by Greeks so they add their own food...I know greeks who own Mexican restaurants and I cannot get gyro meat in my tacos.
    Maybe the bickering in the comments of this article can shed some light on the subject?
    http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/i...y_dogs_mi.html

p.s. Most of the 'greek' coney islands are owned by albanians or middle-easterners where I come from.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 10:40 PM