Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Ask a Michigander

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Why are coney dogs so popular in Michigan? Any why are all they other menu items greek food?...and don't tell me that all the Coney Dog restaurants are owned by Greeks so they add their own food...I know greeks who own Mexican restaurants and I cannot get gyro meat in my tacos.
    They are not all owned by Greeks. But the Coney Island concept is a Greek creation. The two most famous coney island restaurants in Detroit (Lafayette and American) were started by Greek immigrants in 1914.

They're so popular because it's what we grew up knowing. The popularity of coney dogs is much more prevalent in Metro Detroit than in West Michigan.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    They are not all owned by Greeks. But the Coney Island concept is a Greek creation. The two most famous coney island restaurants in Detroit (Lafayette and American) were started by Greek immigrants in 1914.

They're so popular because it's what we grew up knowing. The popularity of coney dogs is much more prevalent in Metro Detroit than in West Michigan.
    I agree it's more prevalent in Detroit than West Mich, but it's still here. Kalamazoo has Coney Island - started by Greek immigrants in 1915. They've recently expanded adding a Greek restaurant next door to the Coney place - Ouzo's
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I agree it's more prevalent in Detroit than West Mich, but it's still here. Kalamazoo has Coney Island - started by Greek immigrants in 1915. They've recently expanded adding a Greek restaurant next door to the Coney place - Ouzo's
    Very true. I think the original one was started in Jackson, not that Jackson is in West Mich., but it certainly isn't part of Metro Detroit. During my time in Grand Rapids I would have to actively seek out a coney island restaurant. In Metro Detroit, you literally stumble on them as you drive down any commercial corridor.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Why does Rick Snyder sound so terrible?!?

He starts off tolerable, but at about 3:30 he gets higher and more pinched, which is how he usually sounds.

He is messing up my noonday NPR listen, and the contrast with this guy is palpable..

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    He starts off tolerable, but at about 3:30 he gets higher and more pinched, which is how he usually sounds.

He is messing up my noonday NPR listen, and the contrast with this guy is palpable..
    He always does describe himself as a nerd.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post

I am pretty sure the lady with the tuba outside his office scared the voice right out of him!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 9:40 PM