Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bus stop urban design

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Bus stop urban design

Hi everyone,

A while ago, I asked for the help of fellow forum members to help me come up with ideas for urban design around bus stops supplemented with good and bad examples.
    I am very grateful for everyone that took the time to help me out.

I have since completed my master's thesis project; thought I would post it here for people to check out. Perhaps it can be a resource to other students or practitioners.

http://kjzhang.freehostia.com/BSUD/B...roduction.html

Thanks again and take care.
    Kevin

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Bus stops, as opposed to standalone bus stations or bus depots, are often part of much larger streetscape improvement projects. The structures, which range from just a bench to a kiosk to a series of connected kiosks and shelters, are often premanufactured. Other streetscape items including concrete paving/scoring, wayfinding signage, bollards, digital signage, lighting, street furniture (benches, newspaper racks, waste receptacles, etc) and landscaping can be in tree grates, movable planters, concrete planters, or in-ground planting strips. You created a well organized website with clearly organized thoughts and visual examples. I think there needs to be additional analysis on traffic management (as well as right-of-way improvements/design). Bus stops in many cities are still designed along existing curb cuts with all of the amenities on one side of the curb. Buses stop in the existing travel lane blocking up traffic. ROW improvements might include moving parallel parking spots in some areas to allow for lane for the loading/unloading passengers. In larger boulevards/parkways (>100 feet or more), bus lanes and bus stops could be sited in a large median (with optional landscaping that doesn't encroach into intersection triangles) and provide one bus stop for two-way traffic. Finally, traffic management from a regional standpoint might focus on the siting of bus stops along a bus route. Do we really need to have a bus stop every 2 blocks? Can we place it every 1/2 mile or even every mile? In crowded cities with no ROW clearance for extensive improvements, traffic management could be as simple as limiting the number of locations buses can stop to unload passengers.

Back in 2010, I saw an APA presentation on bike lane improvements in New York City. I was working in Kansas but I remember it be streamed online for CMs. You might have to do some digging around on the AICP calendar for events. I don't think it touched on bus stops but showed some examples of siting bike lanes and other improvements in the center of the road in Manhattan.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions nrschmid.
    Such bus stop design strategies should definitely be incorporated into or adjusted to fit other guidelines that already exist in a municipality.
    I will look up the bikelane thing by APA, sounds interesting.
    Take care,

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 3:14 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 29 May 2009, 2:38 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 Mar 2008, 5:05 PM
  4. Replies: 54
    Last post: 07 Sep 2007, 11:54 AM
  5. Replies: 13