Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The colo(u)r of your city's squirrels

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    The west side of Detroit had brown squirrels while the east side had black ones. I am using the past tense as the black squirrels have seemed to migrate and now you see more of these skinny black squirrels on the west side than you see brown squirrels.
    My neighborhood in Jamestown has mostly red squirrels with a few grays, but other parts of the city have mostly grays. AFAIK, there are no black squirrels in the immediate area. Black squirrels are a variant of gray squirrels: Black Squirrels
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Around here (coastal Southern CA) they're brown with gray highlights and they look more chipmunk-ish in the face. It seems like I see more chipmunks than squirrels (or else I notice them more often because their racing stripe is cute).

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    Around here (coastal Southern CA) they're brown with gray highlights and they look more chipmunk-ish in the face. It seems like I see more chipmunks than squirrels (or else I notice them more often because their racing stripe is cute).
    We have chipmunks here in my 'hood...we also have hawks...ungood for the poor little chipmunks.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Only Europe has the interesting looking squirrels.

Unfortunately it sounds like the gray squirrels are jealous of the red squirrel's cuter looks, so are causing a decline in the red's population.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    We have chipmunks here in my 'hood...we also have hawks...ungood for the poor little chipmunks.
    We have a lot of chipmunks and hawks too. Every few months I'll see a hawk swoop into the yard and carry one of the chipmunks off. I like to think the hawk is taking the little chipmunk off to a party.

I grew up in the country in a house surrounded by fields. We never saw squirrels or chipmunks around us even though there were still plenty of oak, pear, and apple trees (not to mention other crops for them to eat). It wasn't until just a few years ago that I realized the squirrels and chipmunks do not like the wide open fields because of owls and hawks.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Probably 70/25/5 black/grey/red. From what I recall the black squirrels are dominant and will eventually push out the greys and reds.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    From what I recall the black squirrels are dominant and will eventually push out the greys and reds.
    They should all just grab a Snickers.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 55
    Last post: 08 Oct 2006, 8:31 PM
  2. Zoning: the city's foe.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 26 Jul 2005, 1:23 PM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last post: 20 Apr 2005, 11:17 PM