Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Undergraduate degree that leads to masters of planning?

Registered
    Dec 2012

Undergraduate degree that leads to masters of planning?

hey everyone, I'm a bit new to this and my first question is this,
    since i live in southern ontario and I want to study locally coming out of high school this year, i have only been able to find one undergraduate program which is urban and regional planning at Ryerson in Toronto and landscape architecture at the University of Guelph. i prefer Guelph school-wise but the Landscape architecture program seems difficult to get in to. are there any other program names i should be searching for besides urban/rural planning, urban studies etc?
    thanks in advance!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2012
    Read the other threads on here...

Usually Geography or Environmental Science would do the trick. It really doesn't matter too terribly much though.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Just pick a degree that you think best compliments what you want to do as planner. Geography is a good all-around degree for planners but if you have a particular interest such as as design or policy, another degree may serve you better.

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Just pick a degree that you think best compliments what you want to do as planner. Geography is a good all-around degree for planners but if you have a particular interest such as as design or policy, another degree may serve you better.
    Design what I'm interested in! when I finish school, I want to be able to know how to use CAD software and use it frequently as well as work with a group and discuss written plans for restructuring communities etc.. its a while away but I like to set myself up in advance. i am concerned about policy, but not as much as i am with design.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    If design is your primary interest, I'd look at getting into an architecture or landscape architecture program. You're likely not going to get the technical skills sufficient for design in a graduate planning program. However a planning program will give you a solid foundation in just about anything else you might need.

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Blide, Thank you for the enlightenment, I haven't submitted my application yet but so far I have found the following;
    1. Landscape Architecture - University of Guelph
    2. Urban and Regional Planning - Ryerson University
    3. Environmental Studies - York University

I'm above average in everything but landscape Architecture which apparently makes decisions based on the separate Application questions and will consider anyone who is above a 78% average I believe?
    not 100% sure about that one but if I get accepted I would take it in a heartbeat! im hoping there are electives that allow me to have the option to practice design in Ryerson and York, but I know that Ryerson's first year Planning students have a class dedicated to working in a studio.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Jul 2012, 4:09 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 29 Mar 2012, 10:05 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Sep 2009, 7:56 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Dec 2008, 5:15 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Oct 2002, 3:38 PM