Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Statement of purpose essay

Registered
    Dec 2012

Statement of purpose essay

CRP+MUD

From typesetting to comics, video editing to newspapers, page designs to parks. My background in design has been a diverse and enlightening journey like a road trip with little regard for destination. From every detour I can extract life lessons and technical skills like souvenirs that can be applied to any future creative pursuit. For the next leg of my journey, I want to shape the destination myself. My undergraduate degree in Design has come with aesthetic sensibilities and a love of efficiency that many of my cohorts will apply to product or graphic design, but I want to design places instead of things. I want to be creative without creating objects that will eventually be thrown away. Urban Design offers me the chance to create things that will last a lifetime, and Community and Regional Planning will help me work within the system that controls so much of how the world is shaped. In order to delve further into my chosen field, I need the guidance and structure graduate school provides to get me back on the road to my destination: the world I want to live in.

The design program at the University of Texas in Austin aims for the integration of design across all fields. This is why I believe a Master of Science in Urban Design degree, as well as a Master of Science in Community and Regional Planning degree, will both be essential for my success. I want to create designs as a result of planning that incorporates the entire community as active stakeholders. I am fascinated by the collaborative processes necessary to accomplish large scale objectives and believe that diverse community participation is a necessary tool for meeting the needs of a population. I am inspired by projects like CUP (Center for Urban Pedagogy) that collaborate with teaching-artists to demystify public policies and help individuals shape their own habitat. It would be strange to me to separate research and policy from design, because my entire academic career has been based on the integration of the two. My academic upbringing in design will be an asset in my chosen fields. Although my work up to this point has not been focused on urban design, the education I received is a brand of scientific methods that can be applied to any creative field. Focused research, diligent investigation, organization, and critical thinking, are skills I acquired that can be utilized on any project. We were taught to value efficiency, economy, sustainability, and thorough analysis as much as the aesthetics of the final product. When I am accepted, I plan to enroll in CAD summer courses add to my repertoire of applicable skills.

One of the projects I worked as an undergraduate was analyzing specific issues within the Waller Creek Masterplan and designing solutions. Because of its location through the heart of downtown Austin, the coming improvements to take Waller Creek out of the flood plane are poised to raise property values in the area and change the entire dynamic of central Austin. My selected area of improvement was public restrooms, focusing on Waterloo Park. After analyzing my research, I realized that the real issues with the restrooms (and why they were permanently out-of-order) had little to do with its physical design, and everything to do with vandalism and misuse of the facilities. I turned from designing pretty potties to designing a public/private partnership to bring an Austin-style food trailer onto the premises at a reduced permit rate in exchange for managing and supervising the park's restrooms. After our final presentation, I was invited by our guest critic to present my idea to the Austin Department of Parks and Recreation. I attended a Parks and Recreation meeting and made my case to the department. This project not only introduced me to the inner workings of my local government and to a staff I would later work with and come to admire, but it also showed me how much room there is for creativity within the seemingly restrictive sphere of public policy.

I didn't know it at the time, but among the cast of public servants in my audience at my Waterloo Park Presentation was Ricardo Soliz, Division Manager. I shadowed Ricardo a year later to gain insight on the day-to-day activities of the Parks and Recreation Department. Soaking up the vocabulary and the atmosphere of the Parks and Recreation department, I learned a lot that few people in my demographic concern themselves with. In that brief period I learned more about public policy than I had even considered existed before. The maps Ricardo showed me utilized all the skills I had learned in design school: research, organization, visual balance, readability and more. Even the department budget was fascinating to me. I was most enamored by the collaborative processes between the city and private entities. I was able to sit in on a private design firm's presentation to the Parks Department and other interest groups. The firm wanted to turn a right-of-way easement into a pocket park, and was struggling to wade through the political side of the design process. The firm had donated money for renovation (the easement was located on their studio's front door) and were pushing for more funds from the Austin Park's and Recreation Department. After the presentation, I listened to the PARD staff discussing the misplaced assumptions of the design team regarding financing and how long it would take for the park to come into existence. This incident cemented my desire to integrate planning and design in my degree plan. This incident, among others, cemented in me the belief that to be a better designer, of spaces or policies, I need to be able to understand both sides.

My educational journey is really just beginning. I have been lucky enough to visit several international cities and experience the effects of varying urban planning philosophies. I loved the histories of London, and Paris, and was completely amazed by the differences in urban landscape in Hong Kong. Even in the United States, visiting friends in Detroit has shown me what a difference urban planning makes. Working as an intern at an architecture magazine, volunteering in urban gardens and community building programs, shadowing and working with the Austin Parks and Recreation department and my travels have all been different routes on my academic road trip, but what I thought were separate paths are all converging now in urban planning and urban design.

I am applying to the University of Texas, school of architecture-Community and Regional planning and urban design
    additional schools I might apply for if i have time (for CRP only):
    University of Wisconsin
    University of Michigan
    University of Illinois

GRE Scores:
    vebal-163
    quantitative-153
    writing-3.5 :/

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Each sentence has far to many words. For example:

" I have been lucky enough to visit several international cities and experience the effects of varying urban planning philosophies."

Consider this instead:

"I have visited several world cities and experienced many planning environments."

Just because you're in college, you don't need to write like a college student. While you find it satisfying to read, it reads like you're in love with prose, not cities.

I suggest you get a copy of Planning in Plain English from the APA.

p.s. You might want to consider some southern universities. If you've never experienced the arctic chill of the mid-west in February, you're in for a surprise. BTW U of M's program is in the School of Architecture, you will be able to do design there.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2012
    May be a little long, depending on application guidelines. Try to make it a little more concise. I know it's tough (I had to edit mine down a little bit) but trust me you can eliminate some of the "fluff" quite easily.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would try and follow the format of hook, meat, close.

-Give a quick and concise hook - I fell in love with Architecture when I toured Falling Water in 2000, etc. Put your story here if you have something to relate to the school.

-Give some meat to tell why you want to go there - I feel that Frank Lloyd Wright would have gone to UT if he were alive today because he loved Big Hats.

-Close with reiterating why you are a perfect fit for the institution. They have underwater basket weaving, and your family has always gone on underwater basket weaving vacations...

Try and tell a story throughout, without making it superfluous. Try to say as much as you can in as few words as possible. These statements are really the icing on the cake... sell yourself.

Good luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2012

thank you

Thank you everybody. This is my first draft, so i just put in everything I could think of.

Detroitplanner- do you have any suggestions for southern universities? I really would like to stay in Texas.

Registered
    Dec 2012

results!

Hi! just checked back in, for anyone who was looking for example essays, the above essay with a few modifications (briefer, more succinct) got me into the university of Texas and Michigan! havent heard from Wisconsin yet

Congrats!

Great job, Texas! I got accepted to UT for this fall as well! See you at Open House, maybe?

Registered
    Dec 2012

open house

yes definitely!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Texas View post
    Hi! just checked back in, for anyone who was looking for example essays, the above essay with a few modifications (briefer, more succinct) got me into the university of Texas and Michigan! havent heard from Wisconsin yet
    Good work. Stay away from that University up north. They are scary Congrats!

ps. Go Buckeyes!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Off-topic:
    Hink - really? the student lounge? so you really want to get there before me during lent, huh?

and I agree with the other comments - and Michigan has a better program - actually going east is always best...

Registered
    Dec 2012

oops

Quote Originally posted by urbansmurf View post
    Great job, Texas! I got accepted to UT for this fall as well! See you at Open House, maybe?

Actually decided to go to Michigan's preview weekend instead, they're the same weekend and Ive already visited UT's CRP professors. Are you in the UTSOA Facebook group?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Off-topic:
    Hink - really? the student lounge? so you really want to get there before me during lent, huh?
    I always go there

With all that said, I do think Michigan is a better program. But that doesn't mean you should go there Good luck in whichever you choose!

Quote Originally posted by Texas View post
    Actually decided to go to Michigan's preview weekend instead, they're the same weekend and Ive already visited UT's CRP professors. Are you in the UTSOA Facebook group?
    Yep, I'm in the Facebook group. I actually just got accepted last week to UIC's MUPP program and have become considerably more excited about going to Chicago than Austin. I still want to visit UT's open house so I have something to compare UIC to.

I have a couple more schools I'm waiting on, and I don't know if it's worth it to go to UIC's open house April 5....It's a bit expensive to get up there and I'm thinking it might be good enough for now to email and skype current students and professors to get an idea of the program. If I accept, then later (maybe July?) I can go up to visit and secure housing. Thoughts?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Statement of Purpose
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Mar 2013, 2:41 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Feb 2013, 8:22 PM
  3. Statement of purpose help!
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Aug 2010, 5:22 PM