Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I think a lot about.... (AIB Dan's dating prospects)

Registered
    Feb 2004

I think a lot about.... (AIB Dan's dating prospects)

Dan's post on the dating thread was both comic and tragic.

I spend a lot of time thinking about: plants, sex, gender, animals, natural building, decoding rabbit language, menstruation, apple trees, what I want for my next meal, feminism, sexuality, veganism, the institution of marriage, food, relationships....I think about a lot of things. I hope you do too
    I think about a lot of things too, but spend as little time possible thinking about menstruation.
    It's unfortunate that someone would appear to embrace a stereotype so enthusiastically, but nevertheless folks do it all the time. If she really wanted to come off as a characature she could have included things like "winter solstice, majicke, Gloria Steinem, global warming, the color black, coriander, gender equality..." But the lady in the dating ad was probably being quite truthful in reporting some of the things she thinks about. Make no mistake, though, her intent was a thinly veiled attempt to convey a message about how she wants to be perceived by others. She did not assemble an entirely random list, rather she interspersed code words that would advertise her political/social convictions. It's not an unintelligent approach.

So what do you think about?

My 'random' list would include: sex, plants, how the repertoire of mundane things forms our perception of reality, coffee, sex, maps, pattern recognition, warfare, time and space, Cyburbia, relationships, consciousness, sex, decoding human language, UFO's, what I want for my next meal, Anne Hathaway, and sex.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    My random list would include: historic renovations with modern technology without damaging the character of the structure, rebuilding of historic cars with modern comforts, guns & shooting, political history and the founding fathers, reading classics and books that make me a better person, my wife and family, sports cars, sailing, technology, degradation of society and personal responsibility, destruction of the quality food processed by massive corporations, organic and non-GMO foods, and religion.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    What am I going to eat for my next meal, what needs to be done next for work, what are we doing this weekend, starting my own business, what is the weather going to be like, I need to write receipts into the checkbook, how is my wife's day going, when are my night meetings, I can't wait for the weekend, I wish I wasn't stuck in an office so much, I need to exercise more often, sex, sex, sex.........
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My list includes:

Long Beach Island NJ, crabcake platters, coffee, sex, scenic railroads, sailing, skiing, firefighting, Cyburbia, missing and lost stuff, relationships or the lack of them, retirement, my health, happiness, sex, friends, vacation, RJing, breakfast foods, and some other stuff.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Coffee...what/when are we eating next....budgets....coffee....I hate fiscal....break time....sex.....RT/baby....travel....sex....politics....
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My future house and land. How I am going to accomplish all the goals I have for it... I will never know...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    I think about my schedule and how to fit in: my kids, my marriage, biking, finances, my job, my ailing father, beer, sleep and of course, s-e-x
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    my kids...the next cool place I can find for lunch...sex...moving south...bills...my aging mother...my aging truck...sex...work...my crazy dreams...

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Sleep. Coffee. Gin. Work. Wouldn't it be great if every weekend was a 3 day weekend. I need to clean up the dog poop. When was the last time I washed the diapers? Damn it, I forgot to buy groceries. Sleep. Coffee. Gin. I wish my favorite author wasn't a jerk in real life. Work. Really must find way to make every weekend a 3 day weekend. How much longer until my vacation? Do I have enough money to retire? Sleep. Coffee. Gin.
    Occupy Your Brain!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Cleavage. Sex. Legs. Wine. Pool. Hot tub. Florida's white sugar sand beaches. Key West. New Orleans. Napa Valley. Dry Creek Valley. Mendocino County.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I forgot to think about brownies. Ahhh... there. I thought about them. Wasn't that wonderful?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I forgot to think about brownies. Ahhh... there. I thought about them. Wasn't that wonderful?
    I thought about them too. Unfortunately, the brownies I thought about were burnt. Oh, I just thought about a couch - and it's quite a comfy couch too. It's plush and the brown matches the wood panel in my family room!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Dating Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1588
    Last post: 01 May 2014, 9:38 AM
  2. The Dating Rules thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 24 Apr 2013, 4:04 PM
  3. Difficult dating
    Friday Afternoon Club